Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wetsanded my car, not happy w results. what to do next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wetsanded my car, not happy w results. what to do next?

yesterday, it was raining so i decided to do the worst thing ever. i always noticed a huge spot that was faded on my hood, and the rain seemed to slide to the sides of it going down my car, and water always bubbled up and stuff on the faded part. i decided to wet sand that area. then i noticed, hey this is working good! the waters flowing freely after i wetsnaded it! so i decide to do the majority of the car where water didnt flow smoothly. i come out today and my car looks like shit, you can see everywhere i sanded. is there anyway to remove all these small scratches? i can get pictures later today, thanks

kevin <-dumbass.

You have to polish them out. Finer grit sandpaper, then polishing compund. It's a lot of work, but worth it in the end.
    Originally posted by Junior Smurff
    Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

strip it all back down to bare metal, prep it, primer it, paint it?

Comment

Clear Coat

I quick spray of clear coat would get rid of the scratches but you would have to make sure you sprayed evenly throughout the whole car cause you wouldnt spots that were more glossy then others
        I look...You look
        I rev...You rev
        I win...You lose

vspooled

Comment

Originally posted by that1bmxguy
          yesterday, it was raining so i decided to do the worst thing ever. i always noticed a huge spot that was faded on my hood, and the rain seemed to slide to the sides of it going down my car, and water always bubbled up and stuff on the faded part. i decided to wet sand that area. then i noticed, hey this is working good! the waters flowing freely after i wetsnaded it! so i decide to do the majority of the car where water didnt flow smoothly. i come out today and my car looks like shit, you can see everywhere i sanded. is there anyway to remove all these small scratches? i can get pictures later today, thanks

kevin <-dumbass.
          kevin<-not a dumbass...That's what happens when you wetsand your car. What grit did you sand with? If you used anything over 1000 grit start buffing it out. If you used anything under 1000 grit go over it all with 1000 until you get the larger grit scrathces out. You want to be careful to not burn through the clear coat though. After everything is sanded with 1000 you need to buff it out. Use a rubbing compound we use 3M's Perfect-It II Parnt #05974 at our shop. This will make all of your noticeable scratches alot smaller, to where you won't notice them anymore. After that polish it with a glaze. It will look better than new after that. If this is too much for you you could take it to a shop. They'd probably charge you anywhere from $150 to $300 to do your whole car. Well probably less if you have allready wetsanded it and did it properly.

Member's Ride

Comment

well i think i might just leave it. lol, i waxed it today and its not as bad i dont guess. I think you all are giving me a little too much credit though. I didnt paint my car recently, i wetsanded the stock paint i used some compound on it today just by hand and it didnt really help it much.

Comment

I predict TypeG will come in here and solve everything, but get some 3M rubbing compound and slowly work where ever you wet-sanded, you can do it by hand but it takes a while so I would just use a buffer, then work your way to some meguires wax. If it seems as though nothing is happening just keep working until you see results, that usually how it it.
              My H22A SWAP JOURNAL

Members Ride

Comment

Originally posted by TysCb7
                I predict TypeG will come in here and solve everything, but get some 3M rubbing compound and slowly work where ever you wet-sanded, you can do it by hand but it takes a while so I would just use a buffer, then work your way to some meguires wax. If it seems as though nothing is happening just keep working until you see results, that usually how it it.
                for shure Type G will know what to do he is the car polishing god

Comment

what do you mean by work slowly? apply the compound and wipe it off slowly, or do you mean reapply the compound to one specific spot a couple times until i see a good result? kevin.

Comment

Originally posted by Sector8Customz
                    I quick spray of clear coat would get rid of the scratches but you would have to make sure you sprayed evenly throughout the whole car cause you wouldnt spots that were more glossy then others

u do this and I'll buy you the bullets to put in the gun and help you pull the trigger, you have no idea how many paint jobs I've had to put crucial hours into because someone thought clear coating their car was a good idea.

Your best bet is to bite the bullet and wet sand the majority of the car, I'm sure it needs it any way, than deep cut polish it with a 20-24 lvl cut, polish it again with a 10-15 cut, low gloss cut it 1-4 finish it with a nice synthetic wax, let that set for 24 hours and rewax with a carnuba. It's a lot of work but youll cream your jeans when it's done.

EDIT: 2200 grit or higher on the wet sand

Comment

i ahve no idea what that means. all i want to do is get rid of these scratches somewhat, it doesnt ahve to be clear paint, because im repainting it next year, and parts of my car are primored as it is.

Comment

meduim cut polish the spots that are un even and then the low cut. Should work out for ya.

Comment

medium cut polish, can that be done by hand.

Comment

If you rub really really really really fast! Technically any polish could be done by hand but it will never come out looking as good as a polisher will. you just cant move your hands 500-2500 rpms.

Comment

better hope you didn't sand through the clear.
                              do the whole hood not just the sanded spot.
                              try this:

if the scratches are real bad use this on the spot with the orbital.

later.
                              Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Working...
                              X