painting car on my own, what do i need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

painting car on my own, what do i need?

ok will be buyin paint and supplies to give paintin a try wit a friend. now i got some questions. how many gallons should i buy of paint, primer, clear coat, etc, etc. anythin i should take into considerations? any comments? ok.

i would like to know the same,hopefully i will be painting this summer.

Comment

wat colour?

Comment

2 Gallons.
        Adam - Retired OG member from '03
        2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
        2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
        2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

I cant tell you exactly what you need but it will be helpfull to have a dedicated room like a garage, with lots of lights because you need to be able to tell if there are any impurities, you also want ventilation obviously, as well as a nice spray gun, my painter that painted my accord prefered non hvlp guns, but ive heard that they spray very well. HVLP means high volume low pressure, and if you look around online you will find allot on how to paint your car. Good luck.
          To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

i did the samething last summer. on how much paint to buy it all depends if you want to do the door jams, trunk etc. if you have any dents you'll want to fix them with body filler, use the bondo light, it doesn't weigh that much. if you have rust you want to grind it down to bare metal and spray ruststop on it to prevent it from coming back. if you have a Napa auto parts store by you buy paint from there. to get discount there say you work at dearler ship they work with. i did that and it saved my a lot just find some they do busness with.

Comment

Originally posted by rebels
              2 Gallons.
              lol DAMN!!! How many times do you want him to piant it, lol?
              My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

lol, yea i heard a few quarts will do it...

My List
                __ quarts of Paint
                __ quarts of Primer
                __ quarts of Clear Coat

uhh is that it?

Comment

dont forget about all the prep work,sanding,also bondo any imperfections,tape for maksing areas off,spray gun,air compressor,etc.

Comment

well tools will include gun, compressor, any sanders and blowers for dust and such.

Comment

ya get the nozzle that hooks up to the end of the compressor it has a trigger and it will help with dust,i like sandin by hand because your hand will take the shape of corners,edges,etc.you will need a garage(of cours),water proof sandpaper for wet sanding,you might want a mask so you dont die.

Comment

hmm yea im thinkin of doin the rounder parts by hand.
                        a mask!? why? hehe

Comment

my grandfather died around the age of 70,he painted cars all his life but it just is a good idea,its not like your gonna die but he got lung cancer from the shit,it took years but it happens.good luckwith painting make shure you get pics through out the process.

Comment

yea man sucks to hear that.
                            i'll probably start the process after i get my kit and someone pays me back in may
                            i'll also be helpin wit paintin my friend's car.
                            i'll try takin pics in the process

Comment

glad to see your getting a kit,i personally hate this jdm trend,finally someones being different.good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X