Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much sandpaper to use on sanding the entire car for a new paint??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much sandpaper to use on sanding the entire car for a new paint??

Alright heres the dilemma for me. I am purchasing my matierals for my new paint job. The painter asked me to get some sandpaper and i told him i didnt know what he needed and to go ahead and buy it and i will reimburse him. Two days later he calls me and tells me it was $300 (wtf!) i asked him REALLY??? i am not a complete dumbass, he says just to give him half. I asked him to show me the receipt and yup its $300. Now i called the place he bought the sandpaper and asked him why it cost so much, he says its rolls of sandpaper he bought, thats why each item was over $75, i was told it has from 100-120 sheet/pads per roll. (to use on penumatic sander). does my car really need 60 sheet/pads (85 grit) and another 60 sheet/pads (150 grit) and yet another 60 sheets/pads (320)?? i think thats alittle to extreme, i have sanded tons of matierals down from exotic foams, to plastics, to soft woods and some classes of metals. and never have i used anything near that. i understand this is a car but its not getting sanded to the bare metal either and this guy is a professional (so he wont be using as much as a newbie) plus he wants me to pay for his Pads and Velco backing plate and some miscellanous shit! he wants me to pay for his stock up and mateiral mainteance parts. haha not on my watch. tell me what you guys think about the sandpaper all you guys who have bought paper and either painted a car, work at a bodyshop, our professional painter, professional body , and any class of knowledge of realistic cost for this paper. I will pay him, just havent decided how much i know i wont give him half, some less then the half price tag he requested. Thanks

sounds like your restocking his shop....i'd go to another painter. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

hes ripping you off. tell him to do himself in the rear end. no honest painter or bodyman will charge you those insane stocking fees. go somewhere else. if you dont, ill laugh at you for the rest of your existance.

Comment

What a joke, tell that guy to f*#k off and take your car elsewhere.....
        1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by gride
          and Velco backing plate and some miscellanous shit! he wants me to pay for his stock up and mateiral mainteance parts. haha not on my watch.
          Where do you think the money comes from for maintenance (tool or otherwise) in *any* shop?

Call another shop, and ask how much paper they use....your guy is restocking for a *bunch* of cars on your dime.
          2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
          Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
          1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

wow. tell him "let me go get the money"

and never come back. that guy is a fucking con artist.

Comment

He might as well tell you to assume the position and change the name of his shop to OZ. He is trying to ass rape you, what a fucking asshole. I've sanding a entire car by hand and used less sandpaper than that
              1993 Accord LX - Sold
              93 BMW 525it - SOLD
              92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
              2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
              2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
              2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
              2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
              2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

thanks guys, i appreciate the concerns. i told him what time it is!! i told him i wasnt paying for that because i assumed it was incorporated in his price tag for his labor. he said "do as you please" and i said yeah i wont be paying for that at all. so it went from $150 to NADA in 20 seconds. I also told him that i saw no advancement in the car in the last 20 days, it looks like he just touched it for about 4 hours the first day and left it alone. I had to speak to him and tell him how and what i felt. He busted that round around shit i told him i wasnt interested, he started saying "i am a person from church, i woudlnt try to take your money, or do a half ass job" i didnt care what he said, he knew i was very pissed off with his lack of commiment, i had to make a phone call to a family friend who gets down, he said he would take over the project today (MONDAY), in the evening we are going to the shop where its at and seening what my friend will do for me. thank god for good family friends and the importance of friendships if not i will be assed out by lazy individual.

Comment

Originally posted by gride
                  thanks guys, i appreciate the concerns. i told him what time it is!! i told him i wasnt paying for that because i assumed it was incorporated in his price tag for his labor. he said "do as you please" and i said yeah i wont be paying for that at all. so it went from $150 to NADA in 20 seconds. I also told him that i saw no advancement in the car in the last 20 days, it looks like he just touched it for about 4 hours the first day and left it alone. I had to speak to him and tell him how and what i felt. He busted that round around shit i told him i wasnt interested, he started saying "i am a person from church, i woudlnt try to take your money, or do a half ass job" i didnt care what he said, he knew i was very pissed off with his lack of commiment, i had to make a phone call to a family friend who gets down, he said he would take over the project today (MONDAY), in the evening we are going to the shop where its at and seening what my friend will do for me. thank god for good family friends and the importance of friendships if not i will be assed out by lazy individual.
                  so you guys going in there gangsta style...dont be no wankstas now!
                  1993 Accord LX - Sold
                  93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                  92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                  2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                  2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                  2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                  2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                  2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

naw, hahah chill, not gangsta style, i am being honest to him, and to keep the piece i will wait till he is gone if he shows up today in the evening the original painter/bodyman so we dont have a confrontation, trying to avoid it, but i am down for whatever, its too long and its costing me a arm and leg all the side jobs i am missing out because i have no car. he's messing with my pride and joy.... he knows i am working something on the side, cause its time to jump to Plan B.

Comment

Working...
                    X