Carbon fiber trunk lid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon fiber trunk lid question

Most likely a stupid question, but I can't find the answer.

Do carbon fiber trunk lids for the cb7 have holes pre-drilled and a skeleton underneath so that you can attach it like a normal trunk lid and it will open the same, or do the arms that hold on the trunk lid have to be removed and the cf trunk lid is just held on with pins?
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

mine came with improperly pre-drilled holes.. the bolts VIS uses are not the same as the OEM ones currently holding your trunk lid down.. also, the skeleton portion had to be drilled out manually.. this included the gaps for the tail lights to fit through, license plate lights, etc.. the templates are there, but I guess they were lazy.. quite annoying though.. and don't expect a proper fit unless you re-adjust the fitment like 5 times.. mine still doesn't look right

V-TAK FTW!!1!

Comment

Thanks man, thats pretty much what I was wanting to know. I want a carbon trunk lid, but if its going to be a huge pain in the ass or take away the functionality of the trunk, then ill just get an oem lid.

Comment

you could just wrap your trunk lid. They sell the carbon fiber wrap on ebay for almost anything It will still give you the look and no one will know except you
        Maple50175 - you're annoying =P
        Brandoncb7 - I don't mean to come across like an ass but I see why you irritate Aaron now.
        JoshM - Crotch rocket = chick magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by Takeda
          mine came with improperly pre-drilled holes.. the bolts VIS uses are not the same as the OEM ones currently holding your trunk lid down.. also, the skeleton portion had to be drilled out manually.. this included the gaps for the tail lights to fit through, license plate lights, etc.. the templates are there, but I guess they were lazy.. quite annoying though.. and don't expect a proper fit unless you re-adjust the fitment like 5 times.. mine still doesn't look right
          For what vis charges I would think (this is just my opinion) it would have better fit and finish! I have been looking at then becuase I will get one one of these days and was going to go with vis , but i may now have to do some more looking around
          WE MISS YOU JO(9-04-2008)

Comment

Originally posted by slick
            you could just wrap your trunk lid. They sell the carbon fiber wrap on ebay for almost anything It will still give you the look and no one will know except you
            Well theres no point in that for me because the carbon trunk will get painted anyways. I want it for the weight reduction, so a wrap is useless.

Comment

Originally posted by sunburn
              For what vis charges I would think (this is just my opinion) it would have better fit and finish! I have been looking at then becuase I will get one one of these days and was going to go with vis , but i may now have to do some more looking around
              yeah I totally agree.. you know they actually dropped the price (I think?).. but the website still has the CF lid at over 7 bills or something like that.. they may have even smartened up, and fixed the fitment issues who knows.. I'm not saying that VIS makes crap, but I was less than impressed with the trunk.. the weave was okay, but I dunno.. something that costs over $700 should not require the buyer to ghetto hack the fibreglass so I can fit the tail lights through it.. trust me if you saw the trunk without the tail lights it looks awful.. luckily no one sees that

V-TAK FTW!!1!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07
                Thanks man, thats pretty much what I was wanting to know. I want a carbon trunk lid, but if its going to be a huge pain in the ass or take away the functionality of the trunk, then ill just get an oem lid.
                functionality for the most part is still there.. trunk obviously pops up very easily now, but it still does it's job.. because of my trunk's poor fitment, water tends to leak through the gaps if I'm not careful when spraying from the sides as I wash the rear .. I could better show you with pics, but I'll have to get on that.. I mean if you're really good with fibreglass and have quite a bit of patience you might look at it postively, as more of a project.. all I'm saying is that stuff costing hundreds of dollars should not require inconveniece to the customer..

all of those people that were in on that group buy a long time ago got a real sweet trunk.. looks like it fits perfectly.. and you don't have to paint the license plate garnish or back of the trunk either because the entire trunk is CF.. unlike VIS..

sorry these pics are the best I have right now.. not sure if you can even tell what the fitment is like.. it's not a very good close-up

V-TAK FTW!!1!

Comment

I can see how it doesn't line up very well in that second pic. Thats a different carbon trunk lid than I've seen. All the lids I've seen have the entire lid made of carbon like you described, not just the top. The kind of lid I was talking about is like blvs125's carbon trunk.

Comment

How many shops(companys) are still makeing trunk lids for our cars , I checked seibon and they dont even make anything for accords ?
                    so far i have found the vis trunk lid and the ones they sell on ebay.
                    Last edited by sunburn; 12-25-2007, 11:27 PM.
                    WE MISS YOU JO(9-04-2008)

Comment

Working...
                    X