90-91 Steering wheel conversion on a 92 Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90-91 Steering wheel conversion on a 92 Q

Hey guys, well I decided I didnt want my airbag anymore. So I decided to swap my steering wheel for a 90-91 one. lol
    now there is a couple of things wrong. First this piece

is different on the 92 due to airbag. With that said, the horn doesnt work, when I put my turn signal it doesnt click off on its own, and it feels like i have no power steering. Lol.
    What must I do to finalize the conversion? Is it as simple as taking that piece and puting it on my steering column?
    Sorry I took h22anow's pic.

Thanks.
    The past, is history:The future, is a mystery:The present, is a gift.
    James 4:7
    Submit yourself to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

this is why i only did the convertion diy for a 90-91, i dont have a clue as i have never attempted to do this on a 92-93 cb

Comment

Hmmmmmm well I guess ill go get me one at the jy and mess with it if no one know then ill be the first! There has to be a way.

off topic,
      my friend told me they pay well for air bags, is that true?

Comment

I would like to know about this too...I am going to be replacing my 92 steering wheel with an aftermarket one and would like some info on the airbag...also if everything will work once put back together.

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
        be risky, be smart, and most of all be creative!

Comment

Originally posted by busak87 View Post
          I would like to know about this too...I am going to be replacing my 92 steering wheel with an aftermarket one and would like some info on the airbag...also if everything will work once put back together.
          Well removing the wheel is easy... There is a dummy plug under your oem wheel you have to unplug the battery first then unplug the airbag and plug the dummy plug in. there are two star screws on each side, those remove the cover from the wheel.

Comment

horn doesnt work because on the 92-93s the horn is wired to the harness, whereas on the 90-91 a copper pin acted as the conducting agent for the horn and it rubbed on the back of your steering wheel.

no idea why your steering wheel feels harder to turn.

Comment

Originally posted by ikayto View Post
              horn doesnt work because on the 92-93s the horn is wired to the harness, whereas on the 90-91 a copper pin acted as the conducting agent for the horn and it rubbed on the back of your steering wheel.

no idea why your steering wheel feels harder to turn.
              Well I dont have the round thing behind the wheel anymore, could that be why it feels hard? Can i find the horn wiring in the column so that I can maybe wire it to the 90s round piece?

Comment

yea alex, if you want it to work you'll need to follow these steps in the first couple parts of this write up.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1887852

converting your hardwired horn into a physical copper contact horn.

Comment

yea alex, if you want it to work you'll need to follow these steps in the first couple parts of this write up.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1887852

converting your hardwired horn into a physical copper contact horn.
                  Thanks bro!
                  Any idea on why my turn signals dont cancel out?
                  Last edited by konig52r; 10-27-2009, 06:25 PM.

Comment

are you sure about LX and EX? i know for a fact that, yes, this applies to DX 90-91 because there is no swivel plate between the wheel and the column.
                    My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Joshy View Post
                      are you sure about LX and EX? i know for a fact that, yes, this applies to DX 90-91 because there is no swivel plate between the wheel and the column.
                      My 91 EX has the round plate with copper conductors that seats in the steeringwheel. The copper conductors swivel in grooves on an opposing plate mounted to the steering column. My horn and cruise control wiring runs through these pins as far as I can tell.

I didn't do a conversion, but I did pull my wheel off to take the column apart to repair it and these were my findings.

-mak

Bought From: MadSpleen85, jimy, CB7_ACCORD (kouzie), Chrisfrom1986
                      Sold To: vinbon63, chessboxer, darkfusion42, LowNknoxville, bowzil, 1993hAccord, mcdizzle, 93accordfreak, lilb_1979, rocketman_471, Bad_dude
                      Traded With: cb95spd, chessboxer, sohc em
                      [ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

Originally posted by mak View Post
                        My 91 EX has the round plate with copper conductors that seats in the steeringwheel. The copper conductors swivel in grooves on an opposing plate mounted to the steering column. My horn and cruise control wiring runs through these pins as far as I can tell.

I didn't do a conversion, but I did pull my wheel off to take the column apart to repair it and these were my findings.

-mak
                        I recall a member in socal with an ex, but also had cruise control. The cruise control caused his horn wiring to be hardwired instead of with the copper pin that lx/dx have.

Comment

Originally posted by konig52r View Post
                          Thanks bro!
                          Any idea on why my turn signals dont cancel out?
                          Unsure if it's different, but you're suppose to line up the plastic piece at the very bottom of your metal spline, the rod thing that you slip into your steering wheel and bolt down. The plastic piece is your signal cancellator. It's suppose to line up with grooves on your steering wheel for the 91s. Unsure if it's the same, dont recall mine looking like that.

It had metal tabs that are suppose to line up with your steering wheel.

Last edited by ikayto; 10-27-2009, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X