fiberglass door panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fiberglass door panels

i want to make fiberglass door panels but dont know where to start...can anyone help me out by telling me what i need and if possible, a list of instructions on how to do this? thanks

Originally posted by fizzbob7
    first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
    Originally posted by ACC0RD22
    no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
    So. Cal OUTLAWZ

well you need to have a base (chicken wire works) or a mold (if your going to make it exactly the same as your stock ones), yu need the fibre glass kit (comes with the resin, hardener and cloths) you need sandpaper, paint, and a mask, (so you dont get high lol) and a well ventilated place to do it
    MEMBER'S RIDE

i was driving along today and the check engine light came on.
    i pulled over and looked under the hood.
    the engine was still there...
    ...silly light!

Comment

hey punx i was thinking of making a fiberglass box during the winter for 12" subs and i was gonna make the frame from wood, and ten use (dont laugh) pantyhose as the base, and then spray tones of fiberglass on it. i saw something like thats some guy made his box like that and it came out good. and then i can prep and paint it up real nice....

Comment

does anyone have the instructions on how to do this? im planning on getting a door panel from the junk yard to work on and see if i could do this myself...is it hard to do?

So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

does anyone have a spare door panel they want to get rid of?

So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

yeah ,, ive never researched fiberglass, but im curious as well

Comment

Use fleece instead of pantyhose. It's what most custom installers use.

Comment

here's what i was wondering, if i were to have the same style as the oem door panels, should i just mold the chicken wire in to that taking into account the holes for the door handle and windows? i was also thinking about doing this to the ceiling and the sliding shade for the sun roof...bu it'll stop at that not like the red cd5 somebody posted on this site...too much fiberglass and too much red

So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

Originally posted by accord driver
                  Use fleece instead of pantyhose. It's what most custom installers use.
                  Where would I be able to find fleece? and is it thick like the fleece sweaters at old navy or is it as thin as pantyhose???

Comment

well, i got an extra set of door panels and some chicken wire and i could get the fiberglass mats and resin from home depot. now where do i get sheets of pantyhose? this is my plan, mold the chicken wire and drape the pantyhose or other type of material to hold the first layer of resin and then the first later of fiberglass. is this the right method? should i use pantyhose or something else?

So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

yeah, use fleece. Just go to your local fabric store, there will be plenty to choose from.

And yeah, just put the chicken wire frame down, and put the fabric over top. Then dab the fiberglass resin on there w/a short brushed paint brush. Do that until the fabric is soaked(turns dark) When that dries, it will be hard as hell. Then you can sand it, clean it, and apply some layers of fiberglass. I am also going to be doing this soon, or ...maybe not so soon since i wont have time up in college. Looks like a summer plan.

Comment

after i sand it and clean the fleece, i add a layer of resin and then a layer of fiberglas right? how many layers of fiberglas should i add? im thinking 4?

So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

Fiberglass is a bitch to work with and hard to get to the exact mold you're looking for. Good luck though, hope it works out if you glass your panels.
                          Adam - Retired OG member from '03
                          2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
                          2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
                          2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

Your going to put down the fleece, then saturate it in the resin.. Wait till that dries, and it will be pretty solid. Then you can sand that down so its mostly smooth if you want to. Then just put the fiberglass on.

The best way i found is to have a piece of cardboard, and put the fiberglass cloth pieces on it. Then dab/brush them so they are covered w/ resin, but not too much. Then put those on the fleece and get them smooth. Make sure there are no air bubbles. You should be able to use 2 layers...3 at most, and it will be fine(you will prolly be able to stand on it) Then just sand that down real good, and fill in any holes w/bondo.

Fiberglass really isnt that hard, only problem i have is i always just use my hands, and say screw the gloves...I finally found some garage floor/engine degreaser that will take the resin off my hands

Comment

thanks for the help aero3685...btw, would the fiberglas mats and resin i find at home depot be good enough to do this? or is there somewhere else i could these materials from?

So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

Working...
                              X