Slotted shifter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slotted shifter?

I think thats what they are called anyways. Like in some ferrari's where you have the shifter and instead of a boot, it like comes up in throug this metal plate and it has a slot for each gear kinda and it is almost like a guide for where to put it for each gear. Anyways, i was just wondering if thats what it is called, if anyone knows what im talking about, and how hard would it be to make one in light of knowing the answers to the first two questions there. Its not necessarily something i plan on doing anytime soon, if at all, just wondering because ive never seen it in an accord.
    2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
    2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

probly pretty easy to make if you have the tools ( a router maybe?) and the right measurements for where each gear sits. nice thinking bro, outside the box
    MEMBER'S RIDE

i was driving along today and the check engine light came on.
    i pulled over and looked under the hood.
    the engine was still there...
    ...silly light!

Comment

that seems pretty cool, were you thinking of buying or making?
      thatd look good maybe with some diamond plate

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of making one just for the hell of it. It might be a bitch to get the measurements down but once i did i dont think it would be too hard to make. I was thinking maybe some polished aluminum or something like that. Just get it cut to fit the size and then cut out the slots for the gears. In time i might just try this.

Comment

i read this post and it gave me an idea of how u can get the measurements or whatever, get some clay or play dough and put it around the shifter housing or whatever and shift it to each gear, 1 2 3 4 5 R and it will make an indent in the clay like a mark where to cut or whatever.......

Comment

I like how they look but supposedly they make for really slow shifts...
            + '93 Accord EX - CB7 - Frost White w/ Dark Blue = teh s0ld (ilikebigbutts)

2006 Cobalt SS - 2004 Monte Carlo SS - 1990 CRX Si

. Snail Squad .

Comment

Thats a really good idea kings blend. Thanks for the input. Hell if nothing else if i do this and dont like it i could always make them and sell them on ebay, maybe. Im not even sure that im gonna do it thought really, but perhaps this spring when i get some extra time and go back to my dads with his garage i will try it out.
              And as for slow shifts i was thinking the same thing, but then again i dont ever really race anyone what with my 217k miles and all, so i never have to worry about shifting a whole lot, and perhaps if the center area where neutral is was kinda big, it owuld make for faster shifts though, who knows, just thinking out loud here. Thanks for everyones input thus far though

Comment

Either way , keep us updated, this is one of the more original ideas ive heard and would love to see where you take it, and if you do love to see pics, ok im gettin a lil excited, that will be sweet tho

Comment

heres some pics in some ferraris and what not, just in case anyone doesnt realize what im talking about.
                  http://autozine.kyul.net/gallery/ferrari/550_gear.jpg
                  http://www.web-cars.com/gto/18-10s.JPG
                  http://www.baynards.com/images/456GTgate.jpg
                  http://www.tiscali.co.uk/motoring/ro...s/ft360int.jpg
                  http://www.jeffchan.com/cars/concors...6-interior.jpg

That should get the point across i do believe. And i know this wont make my car fast like a ferrari or anything, but i figure if its good enough for a testarossa, its good enough for my cb7.
                  Also, i just discovered the more correct terminology is a gated shifter.

Comment

yeah i definitwely wanna see that shit in an accord.. still excited

Comment

or u can just break into some assholes ferarri and steal his lol.....

Comment

that has potential to be really cool! very good idea.

its going be hard to get all the perfect measurements and to cut it out straight, but if it came out nice i think it would look good in the accord. if u ever start working on it, be sure to take pics of the process, and post a DIY if possible

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                        Current cars:
                        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

it will look really sweet but I heard it's not too smooth...
                          + '93 Accord EX - CB7 - Frost White w/ Dark Blue = teh s0ld (ilikebigbutts)

2006 Cobalt SS - 2004 Monte Carlo SS - 1990 CRX Si

. Snail Squad .

Comment

Working...
                          X