Trunk tray replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trunk tray replacement

What is a good material to replace the trunk tray (that piece that is under the trunk carpet) ? Plywood might work, but it will not stand moisture.

i used plywood and just painted it black. that was about 8 years ago haven't had any problems with rotting. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

I used ply wood (1/2 inch) mainly to give more support for my speaker box. I used the original as a templet and cut the ply to fit. hinged it and reused the carpet.

As for moisture. Seal the ply wood with a water sealer B4 u install it. Thomasons is cheap but not the best (speaking as a professional painter)

Good Luck
      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4thgenaccord
        I used ply wood (1/2 inch) mainly to give more support for my speaker box. I used the original as a templet and cut the ply to fit. hinged it and reused the carpet.

As for moisture. Seal the ply wood with a water sealer B4 u install it. Thomasons is cheap but not the best (speaking as a professional painter)

Good Luck
        ^^^^^ agreed. I got some 1/4" ply in the backyard right now..i might just use that..what kinda hinges did u use??? im thinking i might use a piano hinge..altho those are a MAJOR PITA to use..but wud be nice lol..

Comment

I framed in a subfloor with 1x1's and then doubled up two 1/4" pieces of masonite. then covered it with speakerbox carpet.

.:1993 EX-R Sedan:..:psyphredotcom:..:mrtazzymotorsports:.

Comment

Originally posted by psyphre
            I framed in a subfloor with 1x1's and then doubled up two 1/4" pieces of masonite. then covered it with speakerbox carpet.
            Sheesh, that looks dope. That IS my next project.....
            1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

damn that looks clean. looks like something I'll be doing in the next couple of weeks.
              always out numbered never out gunned..

Comment

thanks guys. i'm going to be modifying the hatch so i can put my fifth 17" rim in there as a spare.
                Last edited by psyphre; 04-04-2006, 03:14 PM.

Comment

And you already have it able to fit a full-size spare, nice.
                  '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
                  EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

the car came with a full-size spare

Comment

Is that all secured? I'd really like to see how you did your framework. Especially around the hatch opening. I was going to try and do something like that but I didn't feel like wasting time when I wasn't sure on how I was going to do it so I just cut out some 1/2" plywood using the factory floor as a template so I could mount my battery.
                      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

maroonaccord2.2

thats looks awesome..i have to do that also. looks killer nice job

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett
                          Is that all secured? I'd really like to see how you did your framework. Especially around the hatch opening. I was going to try and do something like that but I didn't feel like wasting time when I wasn't sure on how I was going to do it so I just cut out some 1/2" plywood using the factory floor as a template so I could mount my battery.
                          I used the factory carpet for a template as well. basically it's all 1x1's screwed together. then i cut out the masonite and got it lined up to the frame. then i flipped it over and traced the hatch opening. then i cut the square out a half inch bigger so it would sit like how the last picture shows. i couldn't do the whole top in one piece, there's a smaller piece at the back, the seam is under the sub box. then after i was happy with it i took it to the shop i now work at and carpeted it with the hatch in place. then i cut the carpet down the sides and front of the hatch. so basically the carpet acts as the 'hinge' between the hatch and the rest of the floor.

So yeah to answer the original question, it's secure; it's not screwed to the car, but pressure fit in there. i think i can get it out if i had to, but i don't see why i'd ever need too. unless i scraped the car for cleaner cb7 chassis.
                          Last edited by psyphre; 04-06-2006, 01:49 PM.

Comment

thats a good idea

Comment

Working...
                            X