Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Ever Make Their Own Carbon Dash Kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Ever Make Their Own Carbon Dash Kit?

Yeah...anyone ever buy some sheets off carbon on ebay and cutout their own dash kit? i'd imagine this could be cheaper than buying pre-fabs?

i think it'd be a pain in the ass. the i can't even imagine the fitment issues.

but. if somebody pulled it off, it'd be fucking awesome.

Comment

i don't think cardboard cut out would be a big issue really.

Comment

the carbon sheets you get off ebay are more than likely 2-3 sheets thick and wont bend near enough for a dash kit, unless it just a sticker of course.i have access to carbon fiber, so i was thinking of doing this, but i think stick-on carbon just looks tacky. if the part is not made of it, i dont want to use tape.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
        'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
        Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

well the sheets i was looking at on ebay are carbon with 3M backing on them and ruffly .8mm thick.

Comment

never mind then, that would likely be a single layer. it should bend pretty good. i say get it, but do all the prep work (measure,measure, mock up, measure some more, etc) and it should look pretty good. think of what type-g's dash kit looks like then try to imagine it with carbon. i think it will look cool. the first thing i am doing with carbon is re-wrapping my glove box, my grill, and my gas-cap. welcome to the carbon club!

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry

Comment

i would just be concerned about how the cut edges would look...like they might be frayed or look unfinished...cause it would be rolled or closed off nicely. but on the other hand, the sheets being so thin, i'm not sure it would matter.

Comment

I did it.....here are some pics......

And just to spice some things up a little I did this as well....

And I even changed the leds to different colors......

But let me say this.....it was no walk in the park.....and I have to change quite a few things to get it looking the way I want it to look.....
                Last edited by 91hybridaccord; 02-14-2007, 07:24 PM.
                1991 Honda Accord Ex
                Pics of the beast!

::::198.4 WHP and 146.6 WTQ Currently weighing in at 2700lbs...best time: 14.8@92mph::::

2003 BMW 330I Sport.....Daily Hustler....

Road Race #1
                Totoro Squad #2

Comment

is that (fake) carbon vinyl, or real carbon fiber?

Comment

If I remember he bought the carbon fiber from somewhere and wrapped the stock parts with it.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR
                      is that (fake) carbon vinyl, or real carbon fiber?
                      Its fake and it only cost me 20 bucks, but it still looks like authentic type r carbon fiber, if you angle it......but to this day it still holds and looks fantastic....
                      1991 Honda Accord Ex
                      Pics of the beast!

::::198.4 WHP and 146.6 WTQ Currently weighing in at 2700lbs...best time: 14.8@92mph::::

Road Race #1
                      Totoro Squad #2

Comment

Im Changing all of the LEDS to Blue/red like my GTI was.....

I think its going to look hawt....

the only reason why the climate control looks messed up is because I tried to scrape off the blue stuff behind it and it messed everything all up....now I have to find a new face plate for it....
                        1991 Honda Accord Ex
                        Pics of the beast!

Road Race #1
                        Totoro Squad #2

Comment

Working...
                        X