JDM Headlights Glare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JDM Headlights Glare?

I remember seeing a thread on some forum about the left side glare with JDM headlights.. can someone tell me about this? Is it harder to drive at night with JDM headlights? Can it be fixed?

http://www.FLAccords.com

Originally posted by BustedLX
    You can not adjust the beam pattern of you headlights. It is the pattern the reflector was designed to reflect. I don't know if you even understand what Im refering to but I'll mention it anyway, If you already know forgive me for wasting your time.

LHD headlights have a cut off of light that reflects light up and to the right where street signs would be. That way even though the lights are focused to illuminate the ground you can still partially illuminate and reflect off street signs on the right. Ever noticed that when you drive you car?

Well RHD headlights have the same design only since they drive on the right the light is cut up and to the left.

So when you put RHD headlights on a LHD car you will glare to on coming traffic. Depending how your headlights are adjusted is how much you'll blind them. To compensate for this on mine I just aimed my headlights close to the ground then they would normally be. I never got flashed. But I know others that have.

You'll notice what I mean if you just park you car, turn on the headlights, and walk by it on the drivers side and you'll see it uncomfortable on your eyes.

There are no LHD one-peices!. All one-pieces are RHD.
    aim them correctly, and you won't get flashed. simple as that.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

^^agreed

I still don't get what all this 'glare' stuff is all about...I have my headlights aimed perfectly and there's absolutely NO glare to oncoming traffic...not even glare when I'm croutching on the ground in front of the car looking directly into the headlights. IMO the cutoff on my jdm's is a perfect straight line except for a minor flare off on the left...I'll get pics...but it's a definite better and more distinct cutoff than my usdm's were. There are 3 adjustment 'dials' on each assembly...on near the corner lamps, one big one down near the bottom (h4 height) and one up top (h1 height). I still don't know what the dials near the corners do, but I'mma play around with those a bit.

I'm also going to try and wire up the highbeam filament of the h4's as the main headlights instead of the low filament (since there's a sheild on the bulb and on the reflector itself) and see what kind of lighting/glare it gives me.

My members ride thread

Comment

flip: i think the corner-light one is for the horizontal (left/right) adjustment of the whole assembly, and the other ones adjust the H4 and H7 respectively
        MEMBER'S RIDE

i was driving along today and the check engine light came on.
        i pulled over and looked under the hood.
        the engine was still there...
        ...silly light!

Comment

Hmm... i just bolted mine on and their perfectally aligned. Must of got lucky.

Comment

my lights were aligned as well, but i decided to aim them up a little bit more to get a wider range instead of a more concentrated light directly infront of me

if youre looking directly at the headlight is the edge of the guard that creates the cutoff on top or bottom???... i dont remember if it will be reversed or not. it was on the projectors i had, but those were ass.

if you want to increase light output, take the guard out and cut some of it on the opposite side of the cutoff edge. all that will do is increase light closer infront of you, not out at other drivers.
            Last edited by DrLove'sKuDang; 04-20-2004, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fliplyricist1
              ^^agreed

I still don't get what all this 'glare' stuff is all about...I have my headlights aimed perfectly and there's absolutely NO glare to oncoming traffic...
              care to share how you did this? my 9005 conversion is causing a lot flashes, even after I thought I adjusted it correctly

Comment

Originally posted by Phire
                care to share how you did this? my 9005 conversion is causing a lot flashes, even after I thought I adjusted it correctly
                ah the ol' usdm 9005 conversion

well see it's trickier in usdm 2 piece headlights, and when I did my 9005 conversion I had to aim down the bulbs because there was a lot of stray light form the 9005's. Plus the usdm 2 pieces don't have any adjustments besides left and right with the big screw...the jdm one pieces have every single adjustment...vertical and horizontal, independent for both the high and low beam reflectors. I'd say aim your lights lower to compensate for the extra glare.

My members ride thread

Comment

Working...
                X