OEM housing with HID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM housing with HID?

Hey guys,I really want to do something with my headlights.While I was thinking about projectors before,but my only source would be ebay,yet I heard so many cons on them like bulb melt,wrong aim,long vis,etc.Some people say put HID in the projectors is the way but not so sure about the housing can stand it or not.I kinda not want to run the risk buying them back.So I am thinking about some other ways to shine my headlights.Is it ok to put HID on OEM housing or it's just a dumb idea no one actually does that?The low bean is 9006 so I was thinking to buy some 9006 HID to fit in.
    Also,are these ones cool and good quality?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=36476

There are reviews say that UTILON Stage II is aqua blue color and if wanna OEM look should go with Stage I 4300K??
    Any idea guys? Thanx!
    Last edited by exexexex; 09-10-2004, 08:46 AM.

Angels East,Angels West,North and South,just do your best,to guard her and watch her while she rests.

..there in nothing wrong with HIDs in OEM headlight housings. there are several tuners on this site that have them in their headlights: 9006(USDM) or H4(JDM)

..and from what i see in the pics, those are Phillips ballasts, one of the best ones available in the market.

..and about projectors, you're tallking about those crappy-looking, APC inspired pieces of junk? you can put HIDs, but why have those lights in the first place???
    5.6L V8 32V DOHC
    JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

if you want to sell your hid kit hit me up bro peace!
      To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

so,guys,how about buy one projector from ebay and put some brighter bulbs in them and do the right aim,will that help a bit or projector just sucks?
        I am really confused about this.People say cheap projectors are not good at all cauz they have weak output,so,how about put some brighter bulbs intead of the ones come with the package??Thanx!

Angels East,Angels West,North and South,just do your best,to guard her and watch her while she rests.

Comment

Originally posted by exexexex
          so,guys,how about buy one projector from ebay and put some brighter bulbs in them and do the right aim,will that help a bit or projector just sucks?
          I am really confused about this.People say cheap projectors are not good at all cauz they have weak output,so,how about put some brighter bulbs intead of the ones come with the package??Thanx!
          ..ok, these projectors, for example:

can be retrofitted into your headlights. these are OEM projectors and the light output is superior to all aftermarket projectors. i will soon be retrofitting valeos w/ D2S HIDs into my CC2's

but if you are asking about those 1 piece projectors, the lighting is terrible. and i've heard if you put brighter or stronger bulbs, the housing melts. and again, why those headlights... here's an example:
          Last edited by PRIMOCB7; 09-11-2004, 10:57 AM.
          5.6L V8 32V DOHC
          JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

damn, when im not around people spout off mis information.. ... anyways A genuine phiips ultinon kit will not be blue at all, Thats a key way to tell its not genuine philips.. those kits are crap.. they last about a year or two.. will look cool.. if your oem housings are all beat up dont bother it will look like crap and all distorted.. because it wont have the "HID Clarity".. now its a decent kit vs some of the others.. the ballasts are not really made by philips but they do last atleast 6months to a year.. If you want to go with hid in oem housing that kit you posted will give you that hid look.. You will not be able to get "OEM" look in halogen reflectors due to the optics of the reflector... OEM hid reflectors (Acura, QX4) uses 4100k D2R.. The HID housing is designed to filter out the yellow from the HID bulb.. where as if you put a 4100k bulb in a halogen housing you would see yellow because its not blocked correctly because its not made to diffuse out the yellow.. you wont get OEM look without reflector/projector retrofit.. if you want "the look" and the color.. that kit will do fine, but just know it wont look like a "OEM Reflector HID setup".. if you still having trouble hit me up on AIM.. SN is xplodezz. il help you out there i dont come here much anymore

Comment

In addition. stage 1 4300k will be pure white with some hints of yellow for the reasons i stated before.

Comment

word, xplode got it down

definitely jump on the ultinon kits as they are the best aftermarket hid kit on the market, and you definitely pay for it.

so if you're not willing to go the retrofit projector route, jump on a geniune ultinon kit...you'll get nothing but quality all the way down to the wiring harness

i've got a cheapo eagleye 7000k kit in my 4th gen...surprisingly the color is identical to an acura TL and mercedez (very sharp purple/intense white look) when viewed side by side, but the output definitely isn't as good (with the oem hid reflector housings, the light may 'appear' purple, but the color casted on the ground is a very intense white with a tad yellow)

but for me my 170 buck kit suits me fine (got it through a connection)

eventually i'll go for an hid retrofit, but that's down the road

i just love how the hid projectors give that refractor white/blue/red/yellow/green/purple look at different angles

My members ride thread

Comment

My friend's 2004 Maxima has halogens w/projector lenses, and the beam pattern is beautiful. Perfectly even and cut off w/the rainbow cutoff...so sexy. W/his fogs he lights up the road pretty well too.

As far as the OEM housing w/HIDs, I've thought about that for a while, and w/the cutoff sheilds I guess it could work. HOWEVER, the beam patterns we got suck, so ultimately I think it would be more of the same. The light is just not spread evenly, so if you want more light on the sides it will still be dark in contrast to the light in front.

If those ultracool HID projectors cost too much though, I'd look into halogen projectors from other cars (Hyundais, for example) or the regular halogen lenses from newer cars. My mom's RX300, for example, seems to have the USDM equivalent of the ECE-spec pattern w/the RH flares. If I'm not feeling lazy I'll take pics later...the bulbs are pretty bad in color but the pattern is pretty impressive.

Ultimately, my thoughts are the cheapest way out would be to look for a set of headlight housings from one of these newer cars and get an HID kit for whatever bulbs they come with. Best of luck in your search.

Originally posted by lordoja
                  im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Excuse my ignorance on this topic, but I'm looking to do something similar (HID lights in OEM housing) and I'm confused about buying kits vs. retrofits.

From what I understand you can't just slap HID bulbs into stock housing b/c the reflectors aren't built for it and you'll get a lot of glare, blind drivers, poor lighting, etc.

So if what I said above is true what do the HID kits (like the group buy one) actually offer? They all advertise easy install, but if it involves changing the reflectors/installing custom projectors then why not jutst do an OEM retrofit?

I've read some of the lighting sites/FAQs that people typically recommend but they never really break down exactly what the kits includes. I'd like to go with the HID kit in the group buy, but if its going to give me the glare/poor lighting then I don't want to waste my time/money on it.

In case any of you aren't familar with the group buy:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...threadid=12461

The Brightstar kit says it includes, ballists, ignitors, harness, capusule (?), etc.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
                    Zach

93 Accord EX coupe
                    91 Accord DX 4-door

Comment

If it comes with a belly shield it should be ok. If you look at cars with xenons that don't have projectors, you'll notice only the top half of the headlight is lit; this is because they have shields under the light that reflect it up. Headlight light output comes to a point and inverts vertically, so blocking light at the bottom reduces glare. So yea, if the kit has shields (I think they're called D2S shields) it should be ok. Keep in mind though our housings won't reflect the wide pattern of true HID housings...but with the shields I imagine output to be a lot better. Another thing that would help would be foglights, but that's another thread...

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

OEM retrofit or nothing i've always thought
                        By sticking a none projected hid kit in your headlights, you won't get the greatest or if any cut off line and you'll blind just about every driver on the road.
                        Sorry if it seems im pretty anti non projected hid's in accords, but i've been blinded by one too many ricers who know nothing about what they are doing

But goodluck

My ride RS6 HELLA Bi-xenon ECE retrofitted CB7
                        www.maketradefair.com

Comment

i want hids so bad but i cant afford them

"Tucking tires and wires."
                          The Chronicles.

Comment

UPDATE! I rigged up some ghetto belly shields(aluminum foil to the rescue), and they really did not work at all. In fact, they shot all the light up and off the road. When I switched them so they were on top, the beam was just dimmer. So in short, unless HID bulbs' optics are drastically different, I don't think the belly shields would work for a better cutoff on lowbeam HIDs.

On a somewhat related note though, does anyone know how to get the high beam bulbs out? It's really easy on the drivers' side, but there's some kind of radiator reservoir on the passenger side. Do I have to get under the car to remove that reservoir/the bulb?

Comment

HID's in a oem headlight is fine. I have Audi RS6 projectors and oem setup in mine. Works fine.

My ride RS6 HELLA Bi-xenon ECE retrofitted CB7
                              www.maketradefair.com

Comment

Working...
                              X