No announcement yet.

Anatomy of an aftermarket projector headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: So far the only cutting needed is the back part of the housing. I cut to a seam visible in this picture:

Then I cut a slit to fit the ridge along the top of the projector. There's a "hinge" of sorts on the bottom portion of the projector to hold the bulb in place and has a screw. You'll need to sand/grind it down to be level with the head of the screw, and it should slide into the socket fine. After that, you'll need to place bolts to hold the projector in place, then put it all together.

I'll update with pics if I can get some soon.

Comment

I've seen these headlights before but until recently they didn't appeal to me. I assume these come with the original 9006 fittings? I'd love to get a pair of these, but I want to be able to use my current HID kit until I can afford to do a proper retrofit. It looks like the bulbs would be held in by screws; do you have to screw the bulbs into place or do they twist lock lick OEM?

Comment

I think these would look hella clean if they were flat black....

Deuce!

CB7Tuner Resident Gamer!
        PSN: JDMcb7TX

Comment

Id be interested in the DIY for this. nice job man!

Comment

Originally posted by JDM_CB7_TX View Post
            I think these would look hella clean if they were flat black....

Deuce!
            They are satin black. Check my MRT.

Originally posted by sn000t View Post
            Id be interested in the DIY for this. nice job man!
            Thanks! I haven't worked on them any further but I'm hoping to soon.

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
            I've seen these headlights before but until recently they didn't appeal to me. I assume these come with the original 9006 fittings? I'd love to get a pair of these, but I want to be able to use my current HID kit until I can afford to do a proper retrofit. It looks like the bulbs would be held in by screws; do you have to screw the bulbs into place or do they twist lock lick OEM?
            Both twist in and screws hold bulbs in place. What bulbs are you using? The projectors are meant for halogen bulbs, but I'm using 6k hids with 35w ballasts. They are a great start.

Comment

Originally posted by mj213 View Post
              Both twist in and screws hold bulbs in place. What bulbs are you using? The projectors are meant for halogen bulbs, but I'm using 6k hids with 35w ballasts. They are a great start.
              I'm using the same setup with DDM slim ballasts.

So when they're on the car, instead of sliding the bulbs straight in and twisting the black lock rings, you would slide them in at an angle and then twist the bulb itself to lock?

I'm essentially looking for something better than the OEM lights and the idea of a cutoff, even if it isn't a good one, sounds better than hella-glare. As is the idea with this thread, when I happen across projectors (and the money to get them) I'll swap them in properly, but anything above stock right now seems like a good bet.

So, back on track, any progress with the retrofit?
              Last edited by Mike1357; 10-04-2010, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the delay in posting. Been busy. Yep, got the projectors finished. Looks WAY better than I thought it would.

The original headlights (the halogen projector aftermarkets) have a stock fit for the bulbs. You actually use an HID bulb with a stock 9004 base.

Comment

Working...
                X