How to make headlights look like new?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make headlights look like new?

I have a 93 honda accord and being kinda old, it made the headlights dull and dirty. The thing that I want to know is how to restore or just clean the insides to brighten them up. Please help.

eh i dont think it's possible The only thing i could think of if you use a hairdryer and like heat up the outside of it and pry it apart and yeah clean it then heat it back togehter.. Or just get new ones :-;

Comment

there are some things that you may be able to do.

have you heard of a clay bar? well its a bar that cleans the contaminants off of your car, its not really for glass but i used it and its works fine.

also u can use some water spot remover, like umm the stuff you find at honda is great! it gets off hard water spots off of glass...rubb that on the light and there you go.

basically the abrasive inside the cleaner will clean the glass...hopefully yours isnt too bad.

now the problem is, if the crud is inside the lens. then you have another situation.

but if the clay bar dont work, clay bar your car, if the water spot remover dont work, it will polish up all your windows.

try the water spot remover first, then claybar.

o and more light output do a 9005-9006 conversion.
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

wetsand with a 2000 grit sandpaper, use some 3m fine cut, and take to a detailer to get high buffed out.. be careful how you do it man.. you can fuck up your shit.. im going to read about it, but anyone else know about wetsanding glass? my wetsanding experiences have been with my plastic headlamps only..

Comment

93 is glass and not platic. its differnt when you high speed buff them. you should NOT SAND OR WETSAND glass ....
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

word they're pure glass lenses...DO NOT SAND THEM YOURSELF unless you have the special glass sanding tools and materials

if you do want them detailed and have the knicks taken out, you'll have to bring them to a shop that deals with glass polishing/sanding...they have special tools

be careful though about using claybars/etc...as the glass lenses have a stock 'protective top coat' on them when they come straight from the factory (of course it gets beat up over time due to the age of the car and road conditions), and using abrasive cleaners like claybars and degreasers will remove it. What I usually did when I owned my blacked out stanleys is just clean them well with soap and water, then follow it up with a coat of meguiars professional line pure mirror glaze polish, and then a coat of #26 wax. Did this before I sold them and they looked very clear and nice.

If you do go the abrasives route, I'd suggest buying a set of 3m headlight protective film which can be found either online or at some automotive stores. It basically acts as a protective layer for headlights (especially for glass lenses) and prevents against scratches and rock chips. I'm going to get some for my jdm one pieces when they arrive here tomorrow and I finish my project.

My members ride thread

Comment

dude flip, u should check ur PM on sho..haha

well try that water spot stuff...that stuff works..i think...

but sometimes it soo dull that its damaged.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Yes. only a professional or somone with a glass sanding kit should perform it i forgot to warn you guys. cus i wont take any responsibility if you fuck up, infact il probably laugh because i dont give a shit

Comment

headlights

I tried cleaning them and I dont think its on the outside. It looks like the dirt is in the inside and I tried to take the glass off and I broke a piece of glass out of the side ( not that big of deal but dont want to break them anymore). I guess Ill have to buy new ones or try that claybar. Anyone have prices or any to sell??
                  (thanx for the posts. You guys are very helpful. Its feels good that people will help someone they dont know.)

Comment

I used wet-o-dry sand paper to wetsand a set of extra headlights I had when I was blacking them out. Made it look better, but I would seriously be careful!
                    Adam - Retired OG member from '03
                    2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
                    2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
                    2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

theres a DIY forum and in there their is a Projection Headlight Project u could do..
                      Bump!

Comment

ay someone sanded down their headlights and it came brand new with no scratches..

i forgot where..but his was yellow ugly prior

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Working...
                        X