Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remove duplicolor from Original Clearcoat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove duplicolor from Original Clearcoat?

ok so i did a lil bondo+ body work recently,, Used Duplicolor Primer, Paint, and Clear coat to hide it. however i covered alot more area with the primer/paint/spray clear then i would have liked or needed to ,and would like to know if there is a way i can remove these products from the original factory clear coat areas that don't need to be covered, thus decreasing the amount of area covered with the duplicolor.

so the question is, anyone know a good way to remove primer,paint, and spray clear. from over top of the Original clear coat ?

i'm thinking some kinda paint remover or something i dunno. someones gotta know if it's possible.
    ~~~~~~~~~~1991 ExR alb F22a6~~~~~~~~~~

paint thinner anyone?!

or you could try a mild rubbing compound, or a polish. hopefully accordztech will chime in with some recs.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

yea i just don't wanna use anything that is gonna hurt the clear coat, wouldn't paint thinner hurt it?

Comment

Originally posted by Final 204
        yea i just don't wanna use anything that is gonna hurt the clear coat, wouldn't paint thinner hurt it?
        that's why i posted about the rubbing compound or polish.

also, if you decided to go the paint thinner route, after applying that, getting rid of the excess paint, and drying, you would apply clear coat again.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

hrm i dunno anything about rubbing compound, and polish i doubt would do the trick, there is a fair amount of coats on there...

the paint thinner sounds possible but i ideally i would like something that i wouldn't have to spray clear coat. i just wanna go down to the original clear coat, not remove it

Comment

dude what u did is kinda unreversable, paint thiner is ur best route unless u grind that shit off .

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordlex
              dude what u did is kinda unreversable, paint thiner is ur best route unless u grind that shit off .
              yea i figured it was prolly unreversable but i figured what the hell, who knows

Comment

I wet sanded my misstakes and it did an ok job, just give it a good poilsh and use 600 and up grid

Great achievements result from great effort

Comment

I've done a few patchup jobs and from what you describe, I wouldn't really touch it. If you use something too strong, it will strip alot of the new paint right off.

If it really bothers you, the only thing I would recommend is maybe wetsanding the area where the old paint meets the new to get it to blend better. Use a very high grit wetsanding paper (like 1800 or 2000 grit) and a block, keep soaking the sandpaper so it's always got lots of water on it (VERY important) and rub it out very lightly (sort of like claybaring your car, just let it slide instead of forcing the sandpaper against the paint). It will look a bit white/faded after it's all smoothed out but once you go over it with polish/wax, it'll shine really nice.

Comment

just lightly apply paint thiner on a terry cloth until u get that stuff u don't want off. then use clear coat and compound tha shit outa it till u get ur desired shine.

Comment

If it was just paint overspray I'd say clay it off...I'm using that in spots now after my car was partially repainted.
                      '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
                      EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

clay? please feel free to elaborate

Comment

Check this article out on "How-To Clean Your Paint with Clay" its a good overview:
                          http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=14
                          '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
                          EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

lol shes hot she has nice boobs lol

(\__/)
                            (O.o )
                            (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Comment

sounds kinda lame but use easy off oven cleaner, ive used it before to remove painted on pin stripe. worked out for me with minimal effort

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=22013
                              cb7tuner.com Cleveland division

Comment

Working...
                              X