Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing the engine, what needs to be covered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detailing the engine, what needs to be covered?

hey guys, im thinking of detailing my engine, i have done 100's of fords and on those cars/trucks nothing has to be covered up, you can unload the water like there is no tommorow and it will be fine, however i have no idea if thats a smart thing to do on a 15 year old car. What should i cover up before washing/degreseing/dressing the engine?

alternator, fuse box, intake?
    1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

When I used to do it I would just take a plastic bag and cover the distributor. That was before I had an intake though so I would probably cover that up too.
    "the J32a2 should be considered one of Honda's masterpieces..." Honda Tuning, July 2006

Comment

i just keep the motor running and spray it down, and put on the stock air box...and to detail all my black plastics and rubbers, i spray silicone on them..

^sold

Comment

cold water + hot block = can be a lot of problems.
        Adam - Retired OG member from '03
        2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
        2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
        2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

i dont see how it would cause any problems at all...if it caused problems you wouldnt be aloud to drive in the rain, use a snorkle to go into the water, have coolant going through the block...the motors is running keeping the heat constant and everything in working order...they make everything to able to with stand running through water, or getting wet.

^sold

Comment

just dont spray water near the alternator if the engine is running, or if you have to crank your car soon...that could be a costly mistake if ur alt shorts out...

Comment

what i do is cover the intake/fuse box... then start the car and spray that ting over theengine...... whle the block is getting hot the oil resedue are getting off the block. then i spray with water.... it comes out so clean
              are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Originally posted by Adam
                cold water + hot block = can be a lot of problems.
                i did it for 13 years no problem. just dont oversprat the distriibitor

i spray my alternator real quick to get the dirt off of it...then i let it sit for 10 minutes running to get all the water out of everywhere...i use a pressure washer though and it does the job.

just dont let the hose sit on one part....put it on jet and quickly spray areas little at a time..that way its like a steam clean effect.

i think i just dont spray near the intake...if you start hearing the car stutter when u spray in a certain spot dont spray there, there may be a leak there...thats why i leave the car on to KNOW when that happens. if the car was off then i could of flooded it and buhbye motor
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by lowoctane
                  i dont see how it would cause any problems at all...if it caused problems you wouldnt be aloud to drive in the rain, use a snorkle to go into the water, have coolant going through the block...the motors is running keeping the heat constant and everything in working order...they make everything to able to with stand running through water, or getting wet.
                  thats funny! but really now if you spray a running engine or a warm engine. the whole idea of going from hot to cold on a aluminum cylinder head doesn't sound like a good idea. or any part of the engine for that matter.
                  always out numbered never out gunned..

Comment

I used to be a detailer, I've pressure washed nearly every engine there is. The only thing you have to cover is your air filter if it's exposed if it's not, spary to your hearts content.

Comment

ya i was a detailer for ford, and you could unload as much water as you want into ANY ford or lincoln model, i would use a degreeser then wait a bit spray the whole thing with water like crazy, then spray this dressing we had, turn the car on and let it sit for 10 mins so that the dressing settles under heat. Im not sure if i should leave the accord running, or not, when its running its sucking air in and it might wanna suck some water in.....you know?
                      1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

Comment

i think of it this way...people who want their car detailed in 6 hours. you park the car and then they would have to wait till the engine is cold...then they can clean it...by that time 6 hours would be up.

now as for problems with aluminum and heat, i think the water evaporates on contact really causing almost no if very little temp change on the engine block.

but hey do what you think is right, i done it for years and i have never had an issue.

but sometimes shit happens hahahahha!!!
                        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

i don't hose down my engine. i use mothers polish on the whole thing. if i get some oil or grease, i spray simple green on it and scrub with a toothbrush, then fill up a cup with water and pour it on the spot. later.
                          Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Brake cleaner and tire foam. Shit I just exposed my secrete.....
                            "form follows function."
                            Louis Sullivan

Comment

Working...
                            X