Cleaning Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning Engine

ok..its about time I cleaned my engine..soo my question to you guys is what stuff do you recommend I use and what steps should I take?

inside or out?

Comment

I used to use WD-40 and spray it on all the black and dirty parts then use a rough rag to wipe all the grease and grime off the parts.

Worked wonders until the asshole who painted my car the first time got a bunch of overspray on the parts.
      Adam - Retired OG member from '03
      2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
      2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
      2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

well both I guess...but I was worring bout the outside for now

Comment

Simple Green, and I also hear that you can get this Honda Cleaner made for the Honda motorcycles, and that works pretty well.

My song of the week (or till I change it): Snow Patrol - Take Back The City

Comment

just spray any of this on ? and wipe it off with a rag?

Comment

The directions should be on the bottle. You should cover your distributor cap with a plastic bag and maybe even your alternator. Spray on the cleaner, let sit, and then rinse down. should help clean your engine bay up nice.

My song of the week (or till I change it): Snow Patrol - Take Back The City

Comment

cover the distributor, alternator and plug wires.. you dont want them to get wet and damaged.. after that you can use simple green or some other degreaser. i pressure wash it.. juist careful on what you spray..

Comment

So basically cover the Distributor, alternator, plug wires, fuse box? and anything else thats electrical?

ok...thanks you guys i'll try it this weekend and how long am i suppose to leave my engine before i drive it so it can dry off?

Comment

clean it while its running thats what ido,the hot engine helps get off the caked on grease,just dont hit the electrical,drive it right after and that will dry it.

Comment

cleaning engine

with all my other cars i went to the carwash and left the car running.sprayed the whole engine bay down with degreasing and then sprayed it with a high pressure rinse....never did any harm to anything no matter what i sprayed. idk just my experience.
                      Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

i left my car running too...

i dont cover my alternator...

basically cover the distribitor cap and try not to spray too much the valve cover just incase some water gets to the sparks...

i use a pressure washer and simple green. spray freely.

oh dont spray in the alternator...u can go over it real quick though.

if u have a short ram intake take the filter off...get a plastic bag cut a hole on the side, get some rubber band and put it on...the bottom opening will draw in air...make sure the rubberbands are secure...cause sometimes it will suck it up...the rubberbands are your safety.
                        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

at idle its not sucking that much air in? i would not reccomend spraying the alternator.. bad idea.

Comment

just go over the alternator. dont let your water sit on it...

if u get degreeser in it then ur going to have to douche it out by pouring water on the alternator

i never had a problem.
                            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

ya you do not have to cover the alternator,just sweep across it,i used platice bags tocover dist,fuse box,basically all electrical except alt.

Comment

Working...
                              X