how much power are your amps drawing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much power are your amps drawing?

i had a mono block class d 1200 watt infinity amp installed in my car that was drawing 120amps of power. it kept on going off and on because i could not supply enough power to it, even with an upgraded alternator and a 2.5 farad cap.

now i think i'm looking for a 2 channel amp around 300-400 rms @ 2ohms. would love some suggestions. thanks.

why not get a monoblock amp that way the amp doesnt draw as much power as a 2 channel amp at 300-400 watts@ 2 ohms....how much are you willing to spend? mtx audio makes a sweet monoblock that puts out 400 watts into 2 ohms...and they're underrated....they come with birth certificates and the actual wattage almost always is over what the amp is rated....here's a link to the mtx amp im referring to.....http://mtxaudio.com/caraudio/product...rs/mxa4001.cfm there are more amps that are cheaper but i recommend that u buy a respected name they last u a lifetime...hope this helps...oh...i didn't answer the question i have a kenwood kac-729s on my jl w3's and my lights dont dim at all...also have a kicker ix300 running my mids and highs...again hope this helps
    -darrell-

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
      How did you measure current draw?

How big of a main fuse where you using?

the manual says that it was drawing about 120 amps. there were 3 fuses of 40amps, and i was using a main fuse of 150 amps.

Comment

My current system is drawing around 150-180 amps of current at peak.

Comment

The 1210a?
          yeap, the infinity ref 1210a. at idle, it would go on and off, even with upgraded big 3, upgraded alt, and battery and 2.5 cap.

Comment

Originally posted by CustomLowz
            My current system is drawing around 150-180 amps of current at peak.
            how are you getting enough power to power up your system? my 1210a amp, which draws 120amp went off and on at idle.

Comment

The 1210a manual Here lists 3 30 amp fuses, and a max current draw of 115 amps.

What the heck are you listening to to draw a steady current of that? Sine waves?

no, just rap and r&b, and hip hop mostly. then what the heck can be wrong up my setup? the only thing i can think of is the output of the alternator. at idle or when i'm cruising at low speeds, the alternator is just not making enough power.

Comment

Originally posted by gnehc1
                how are you getting enough power to power up your system? my 1210a amp, which draws 120amp went off and on at idle.
                I only do full potential for a few seconds at a time (when competing) so i dont kill the car. I have voltage gauges so i can monitor the system.
                Are you running it past the manufacturers fuse rating?

1000/1 calls for a 100A.
                300/4 calls for a 40A.

Are you measuring 180A draw?
                I also have other components with my A/V system running at the same time

Comment

you check your grounds? could be as simple as that....

Comment

If you are going to be runnin 2 subs...

http://www.jbl.com/car/products/prod...er=POS&cat=AMP

I have the 600.1 (not made anymore, but you can get them on ebay) and I love it!

My song of the week (or till I change it): Snow Patrol - Take Back The City

Comment

280A at peak load

Planet Audio 2250D, 200.2S, 400.2S

Comment

I know this may be a little off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread when it is basically the same thing as this. I have 2 12" cadence subs with a 600 watt crossfire amp. Would my stock alternator be able to hadle another 600 watt amp. I am wanting to put a 600 watt amp on each sub. Not really for daily use mainly for competition and showing off. I know this is kinda a newbie question, but I searched and I can't find anything that really helps me. Thank you for any help.

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply. I read through your original messages and it kinda confused me, but now its kinda a light just came on. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
                          X