Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grounding locations for trunk mounted amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grounding locations for trunk mounted amps?

I have alternator noise in all my speakers. I have a 1/0 and 4g power and remote running to the trunk down passenger side, 16g Power wire/ground twisted together for 3 switches from center console into passenger bath in front of front seat along same path to trunk with power wires. Rca's and speaker wires ran down driver side on top of factory wiring into trunk.
    I have tried most things to eliminate this, including lowering the levels on the amp to their lowest. This sacrifices the power to the speakers and they sound so so. It may be my my grounding, which is 1/0 to passenger side bolt with a thinner factory wire. 1/0 also to the big 3. I do not have 1/0 from battery/valve cover.
    Or it could be the head unit, Pioneer FH-8000bt. There is no noise when the head unit and amp are off, or when the head unit is off and the car running, or when the car is off and just ACC on. I have tried taking the rca's off the amp one by one leaving none and still had noise while car was running.
    I have taped up the original speaker connections in the rears but just left the fronts dangling in the doors. My next action is to pull the deck, cut the factory speaker connections from the harness taping them up. I will at least be able to cross another problem check from the list.

Suggestions and pic's of your grounding of the trunk amps would be very appreciated!

Thanks
    Last edited by cfields2702; 12-30-2012, 04:20 PM.

This question has been asked so many times...

Rear strut tower for the ground.

But why do you have a 4awg remote wire? Seems unnecessary to me.
    And you should get bigger for power wire.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
    It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

I'm sorry, it's a regular size (16 or 18?) gauge remote wire.

I have a 1/0 gauge and a 4 gauge for power wires going to a distribution block in the trunk. Then 2 4 gauge wires going to the amps.

Rear strut tower for the ground. Yes, I got that part in my research. But isn't there a length that you can not have for the main ground wire? I have 12" 1/0 from that bolt to a grounding block, and 2 4 gauge wires (1 at 8" and the other 16") to amps.
      Last edited by cfields2702; 12-30-2012, 04:47 PM.

Comment

If you want a professionals opinion, PM BIGRICH. He will be more than happy to help you.
        Originally posted by Mishakol129
        Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Working...
        X