Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anyone know how to remove spray on dynomat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does anyone know how to remove spray on dynomat?

a long time ago, i decided to use spray on dynamat to stop excess noise from the trunk. it worked ok, but it's damn ugly. i have tryed many things in hopes of removing it, (paint thinner, bug-n-tar remover, gas, ect) no luck it is hardy. maybe someone has experience getting it off. i want to get it off without messing up the the shiny paint under there. later.
    scroll down for removal pics

Last edited by TypeG; 06-01-2006, 05:25 PM.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

it wasn't meant to be removed:
    http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/123620.html

think about why it works and why it was put there... if it was easily removable, it wouldn't do it's job.

add to that, paint on the inside of the trunk doesn't have a clearcoat, and isn't shiny... and people aren' going to see it anyway.

you might have to sand it off... which would be tedious to say the least.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

probably media blast it. but yeah the paint underneath is pretty much already ruined if it stuck at all. and since you can't get it off, it sounds like it stuck pretty good.
      1993 Honda Accord LX
      1997 Volkswagen GTI-VR6

Comment

I have read that people have used dry ice to harden it enough to scrape/chisel it off. I have not had the pleasure, but I thought I would share the info.
        97 Accord EX Coupe
        93 Accord EX Sedan
        91 Civic std Hatch

Comment

i'm finally starting to take this stuff off. i have been using a hair dryer on high heat and that seems to soften it up. temp seems to be the way to go, but if anyone has any tips, i would like to read them. i also burned it with a match and that seemed to work better than the hair dyer.

finally starting to break through to the paint.

later.
          Last edited by TypeG; 05-28-2006, 02:54 PM. Reason: pickin up my slack

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
            i'm finally starting to take this stuff off. i have been using a hair dryer on high heat and that seems to soften it up. temp seems to be the way to go, but if anyone has any tips, i would like to read them. i also burned it with a match and that seemed to work better than the hair dyer.

finally starting to break through to the paint.
            yo Type G you didnt say Later

Comment

damn that suxs

1966 Chevy Nova
              1974 Super Beetle
              2012 Ford Super Cobra Jet
              2004 Honda Element
              2004 Honda Ruckus
              2003 Honda Ruckus

www.weezoonline.com
              www.facebook.com/weezoonline

Comment

Originally posted by HondaGuy1212
                yo Type G you didnt say Later
                thanks homie, LOL. later.

Comment

i have created a method of removal. it's tedious, but effective. i saturate the dynamat with bug and tar remover, then let it soak in. then i use the hair dryer to heat it up, then scrap it with a plastic putty knife. here is what 4 hours of work got me.

when i used only the hair dryer, i got small pieces, but after adding the tar remover, it soaked in and softend the coating, allowing me to take off more at a time.

the paint under there was mint. when i get it all off, i'm going to polish it out.

if anyone would like to add tips, by all means. later.
                  Last edited by TypeG; 06-01-2006, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                    the paint under there was mint. when i get it all off, i'm going to polish it out.

I was waiting for him to say that...lol...
                    My Ongoing CB7 Project

Comment

i have gotten it off and am currently working on the paint. later.

Comment

What did you use to make it shine like that? Did you treat it the same way as an exterior piece?

Comment

Originally posted by AccordAnimal
                          What did you use to make it shine like that? Did you treat it the same way as an exterior piece?
                          i use scratch remover on it. the kind i use is a true polish. seen here in this thread:
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=37486

the first pic is with the dynamat spray scraped off. the two under are after some polishing with the scratch remover. i will post pics after i get it all polished out, but for now, i'm still working on it. later.

Comment

all done. later.

before

after

Comment

you take awesome care of your shit man, but i think it's also the color that makes it look so good (i know it's OEM, but it's like metallic-ey)

ya know?
                              My Cardomain-Invite me!

Comment

Working...
                              X