need advice on an amp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need advice on an amp...

well i got a 10 inch type r sub and a kenwood amp from best buy (where i work = discount) and installed them today...but while i was installing i figured out that i had made a bad choice on the amp and the idiots at best buy had misled me

the type r takes 500 w rms and is a dual voice coil 4 ohm sub, so i bought a kenwood mono amp that puts out 500 w rms in a 4 ohm setup...

well while checking out the sub today i realize i can only set it up in 8 ohms or 2 ohms and not 4...lets just say i was pissed so i just set it up in 8 ohms to test the sound...

well the sub sounds good when i have bass boost turned all the way up, but it pisses me off that i cant give the sub the 500 w that it can handle

here are my options:

1: keep my 8 ohm setup with the kenwood amp

2: return the kenwood and get a v 12 alpine amp which puts out 500 w at 2 ohms

3: return thekenwood and buy a hiphonics amp from my friend which he claims is good, but i know nothing about the brand

any advice/help about if hiphonics (sp?) is good would be greatly appreciated

thank you

Get a FREE PLAYSTATION 3 before anyone else can!!!

Hi Fonics make some good amps. First find out what model amp it is.....Most likely it will be the brutus but if you can get the collesus for cheap get that but thats alot of power for just one type r.
    And whats your budget on the new amp?
    And whats the model of the kenwood amp?

Comment

Get the Alpine if you can afford it. Kenwood makes good decks, everything else sucks. I heard bad things about Hifonics but if you get a good one, then they might not be so bad, although, they do not put out rated power, pretty close though.

Couldn't of been done without you guys

Comment

kenwood KAC-9102D is the amp i have

im not sure what model the hiphonics is

Comment

get the v12 or run the kenwood at 2 ohms
          FA1

Comment

2 ohms would be 850 w...could the type r take that?

is there a sound quality difference between 2, 4, and 8 ohm setups?

Comment

Youd blow that R to shit... Maybe not if you had the 12, handles power better. I ran my 12 inch type r at 2 ohms and it sounded like any other sub... so I wouldnt say theres a sound difference except for loudness :P. FOR SURE get the alpine amp @ 500w 2 ohms....

Comment

Youd blow that R to shit... Maybe not if you had the 12, handles power better. I ran my 12 inch type r at 2 ohms and it sounded like any other sub... so I wouldnt say theres a sound difference except for loudness :P. FOR SURE get the alpine amp @ 500w 2 ohms....
                I thought you had the 4 ohm sub?
                Magnaflow exhaust for cb7's for sale

Comment

Originally posted by Accordpwnz0r
                  I thought you had the 4 ohm sub?
                  yes, and when you wire ONE DVC sub with 4 ohm coils it can run at 2 or 8 ohms. mine ran at 2.

Comment

Originally posted by drucifer92
                    yes, and when you wire ONE DVC sub with 4 ohm coils it can run at 2 or 8 ohms. mine ran at 2.
                    thank you for the clarification
                    Magnaflow exhaust for cb7's for sale

Comment

Wire the sub into 2 ohms and run that on the amp. Just trun the gain down when ur gonna do that or else then you are going to blow the sub.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron
                        2 ohms would be 850 w...could the type r take that?

is there a sound quality difference between 2, 4, and 8 ohm setups?
                        What!? You never mentioned the amp being able to do 2 ohms stable. Set a 2 ohm load already! Kenwood is overrated and won't put out that much power. It should be fine. I had 1200 watts RMS going into my pair of 12" type-R's. I think you will be OK even though your sub is a 10". Just makesure you tune your bass on the deck down some.

Couldn't of been done without you guys

Comment

well i do have a service plan on it at best buy...but should i just go get the alpine amp instead so i dont over power it?

Comment

I got a hiphonics what ever titan series 1200 watt class d amp that thing bangs and does not heat up at all. I am pushing 1 12" JLW6v2 at 2 OHMs. Kenwood is good for nothing but budget setups no offense to fans of the brand.
                            Working N/A build up in progress

Comment

see thats what i thought about kenwood...im no fan, but the fucks at best buy told me it was an awesome amp...should i get the alpine one? i heard alpine isnt too good at making amps either but im an alpine fan when it comes to head units...meh i dont know, all i know is that damn sub needs a lot more power than im giving it right now...

how many watts do you think the kenwood actually puts out at 2 ohms? it says 850 but thats at 14.4 v and probably even a lie at that

Comment

Working...
                              X