Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

500WRMS system with voltage issues at idle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

500WRMS system with voltage issues at idle!

I just bought myself a Fusion FEW-12PK sub sytem that had a 12" ported sub, amp and wiring all in one box. I had it installed today and I love the way my car sounds now. The wiring looks like it's quality stuff, it's 4ga going from the battery to the amp The only issue is a month ago I replaced the alternator with a brand new 95 amp reman and upgraded to an Interstate Mega-tron Plus 1000CA battery. Without the sub on I never go below 13 volts at idle. With the sub hitting hard and long, my voltage will drop as low at 12 volts after a couple of minutes and even as low as 11.5 if it hits really hard. The voltage only fluctuates at idle. When I'm cruising, it'll stay at 13.5 - 14 volts. Would adding a 1 farad cap to my sub system help out my idle issues or is this something I need to get used to? I really don't want to kill my alternator, the battery is a top of the line Interstate that only cost me $88 so I don't mind having to buy a new one every 6 months or so.

get a higher output alternator. i had a 2 farad cap on my system and it would still dip down to 12 volts.

My Members Ride Thread
    Originally posted by deevergote
    You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

Originally posted by mcdizzle
      get a higher output alternator. i had a 2 farad cap on my system and it would still dip down to 12 volts.
      That's what I though. Hopefully They can reman it to 160amps at least.

Comment

if it costs alot, u can get like 130-150amp ones on ebay for around 100 bux or so. ill be picking one up once i get my new stuff

My Members Ride Thread
        Originally posted by deevergote
        You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

Originally posted by mcdizzle
          a high output alternator isnt designed to put out the higher voltage at idle, alternators dont spin fast enough to put out that much juice regardless of the size, for all practical matters...
          you will just have to get used to it..or clutch and rev it up a little bit if it really bothers you..

Comment

Originally posted by mondojackal
            a high output alternator isnt designed to put out the higher voltage at idle, alternators dont spin fast enough to put out that much juice regardless of the size, for all practical matters...
            you will just have to get used to it..or clutch and rev it up a little bit if it really bothers you..
            I'm figuring that the sub and amp are using about 25 when I really crank it. I just did a short drive with the lights on and the lowest it dropped to was 12.9 volts. The minute I turn on the A/C my volt meter will fluctuate as the bass hits. So I figure 15 amps for the lights, 25 for the A/C and another 25 for the amp and sub and I'm at 65 amps. Max output on the alternator is about 95 amps. If I can get an HO alt that pumps out 70-80 amps at idle I should get a steady voltage with the lights and a/c.

Comment

Upgrade your grounds. Get a ground wire kit.

Comment

Do this upgrade
                http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ult...c;f=5;t=007801
                It will help your voltage problems. If it doesn't cure it, then get a better battery. A deep cycle battery is good. I recommend Optima Yellow top or Kinetik or Stinger. There are other brands but I don't remember right off top. A 95 amp alternator isn't exactly a high-output alternator. Maybe rated higher that stock but that's about it. Getting a H/O alternator from ebay is a bad idea. Although they seem cheap, that's exactly what they are, from what I heard (never personally tried an ebay H/O alt before). Try a reputable company like Ohio Generators or Powermaster. I think Excessive Amperage may be one of the best H/O companies out there. Try to gt a test sheet from the manufacturer when buying an H/O alt., this way, you have a way of knowing how much your alt actually puts out. Most of the alts on ebay only make claims to how many amps their alts push out, a good company will include a test result sheet to actually prove it. Buying a battery cap will only help by holding a small charge and will not be enough for your amp's power crave, although it's always good to have a proper battery cap. When it comes to stuff like this, you can't cheap out and hope it will help because you truely get what you pay for. Also, like Mondo said, H/O alts are not made to put out high voltage at idle, but I have seen some that put out about 100-120 amps at idle. Those are the bit expensive ones.

Couldn't of been done without you guys

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747
                  Upgrade your grounds. Get a ground wire kit.
                  Is it easy to upgrade the big three? The wiring has to be at least 15 years old now.

Comment

Its easy to upgrade the big 3 just a little time consuming.

Comment

HOLLA AT DOMINICK IRAGGI HE MAKES H.O. ALTS FOR A NICE PRICE 180 FOR 379 AND A 200 FOR 399 BTW THEY ARE DIRECT BOLT ONS HIS EMAIL IS DOMINICK@TDS.NET TELL HIM SKYBABY26 FROM SOUNDDOMAIN SENT YOU SO I CAN GET A DISCOUNT ON MINE that might seem like too many amps but excess is better usefull for upgrading and while u are at it do the big3(upgrading the batt to ground, alty to ground and alty to batt wires do it in 0ga wire for less resistance) hope this helps
                      Last edited by BADACCORDLX; 01-24-2006, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BADACCORDLX
                        HOLLA AT DOMINICK IRAGGI HE MAKES H.O. ALTS FOR A NICE PRICE 180 FOR 379 AND A 200 FOR 399 BTW THEY ARE DIRECT BOLT ONS HIS EMAIL IS DOMINICK@TDS.NET TELL HIM SKYBABY26 FROM SOUNDDOMAIN SENT YOU SO I CAN GET A DISCOUNT ON MINE that might seem like too many amps but excess is better usefull for upgrading and while u are at it do the big3(upgrading the batt to ground, alty to ground and alty to batt wires do it in 0ga wire for less resistance) hope this helps
                        do not join the forum for your own benefit on other sites...and dont reply in all caps..

Comment

Yeah, I heard dominick had a lifetime warranty on his alts, too. so even if it goes bad, it can be replaced.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by BADACCORDLX
                            DO NOT BUY DOMINICK ALTS!!! Do a search and you will find why I say this. There are many conversations about how his work has gone downhill. Also, those prices are too high. Buy from a good place like Excessive Amperage for less and they have a better reputation. Dominick is a person with alot of work ahead of himself, I don't think he has his own company though...garage work.

Couldn't of been done without you guys

Comment

DOMINICK is a tool. Does not do there rated power, faulty part, and bad service.

Comment

Working...
                              X