Blown subs? Amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blown subs? Amp?

So I was just listening to some ludacris(blueberry yum yum) and it hits pretty hard then all of a sudden my subs completely stop. They are two MTX audio 12" powered by a rockford fosgate punch 500w. So I get home and look at my amp and it was throwing a protect light so I checked all of the wiring and everything looked ok, so then I start unscrewing my sub that I thought was blown and check the coil it looked perfect but when I pushed it in I could feel that scratchy feeling so I figuere dam its blown so I disconnect it turn my deck back on and the other sub works great no protect light anymore. So I just leave it disconnected and put it back in so I atleast have one working sub(not the smartest idea) then next day I was driving and my last sub stopped working just the way the first one had this time I turned it up and could hear that it was blown sounded like a $15 sub from pep boys. So my question is this do you think the amp is causing me to blow my subs or was it just coincidence that I blew both at seperate times. The subs are a little over three years old and I figuered I got my use out of them. On a side note I was thinking of sticking with MTX and buying them again or just get some type r's but the only reason I wasn't to sure on the type r's were because I dont want to under power them but im pretty sure my amp will be able to handle them.
    My H22A SWAP JOURNAL

Members Ride

underpowering does not blow subs. Incorrectly setting the gains to compenstate for the underpowering blows subs (clipping/ distortion). Set your gains corrrectly and you will be fine. The gain is not a volume knob.

Comment

No one ever posts in the audio section.
      My H22A SWAP JOURNAL

Members Ride

Comment

Originally posted by turboaccordlx
        underpowering does not blow subs. Incorrectly setting the gains to compenstate for the underpowering blows subs (clipping/ distortion). Set your gains corrrectly and you will be fine. The gain is not a volume knob.
        you are right..i appreciate that..most peopl are stupid and say that underpowering will kill a sub, but we already had that, and the "rear fill" discussion

anyways, on to the topic at hand..i think that you might have somethign wrong with the wiring; check your ground to make sure that it is a good connection of metal to metal, not just on top of some paint. if you are sure that there is no problem, then its prolly the subs. if you want to stick with the RF amp, then do so...you just need to find a sub that you like that requires 500wRMS, if the wattage for that amp that you gave us was for RMS wattage.

Comment

i hate rearfill it messes up a perfectly front soundstage but i would be glad the amp isnt broken cause every rockford amp ive owned (old skool) would either kill itself or my subs or both would die (set those gains with a dmm) also check how much preout voltage your hu is throwing at 75% volume set the amp there and u will be good if its not loud enough go ported or get better subs (efficient).

Comment

Sheesh......Underpowering will eventually fry voicecoils if your gains are set wrong, regardless of what you may have heard. You just might have had to installed for a living to know this though. I don't mean to step on anyones toes, but this is a verifiable fact.
            1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by maroonaccord2.2
              Sheesh......Underpowering will eventually fry voicecoils if your gains are set wrong, regardless of what you may have heard. You just might have had to installed for a living to know this though. I don't mean to step on anyones toes, but this is a verifiable fact.
              no shit thats what I said.

Comment

well in my opinion it's not that your underpower your subs it's probably the fact that your amp is 2 ohm stable?!? and you probably have your subs at 2 ohm stable a piece and if that the case if they are wired in parellel that creates a 1 ohm load. now at lower volumes your amp won't cut out but at a higher volume your protect light will come on so that you don't blow your subs that probably why your protect light is coming on. i really dont think your underpower your subs.
                97 Prelude "The Lude"

Comment

I think that many of you misunderstood my post, I was just thinking it was wierd that I blew two subs at different times but within a few days of each other, but I'm pretty sure it was just a coicedence. Then I was probably going to get some type r's and put them in, I didnt say anything about blowing them I said underpowering them as in I wont be getting the full effect of the sub's because there they are 500wRMS.
                  I will most likely just buy two more MTX because I was pretty happy with them.
                  My H22A SWAP JOURNAL

Members Ride

Comment

3 years is a pretty good span for a sub to run, my P3's are goin on a year and a half, I would definately stick with those MTX subs though, maybe they just ran their distance and coincidentally kicked around the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by bosborne0010
                      well in my opinion it's not that your underpower your subs it's probably the fact that your amp is 2 ohm stable?!? and you probably have your subs at 2 ohm stable a piece and if that the case if they are wired in parellel that creates a 1 ohm load. now at lower volumes your amp won't cut out but at a higher volume your protect light will come on so that you don't blow your subs that probably why your protect light is coming on. i really dont think your underpower your subs.
                      thats what i was thinking, and when he hooked his amp to one sub it was getting double the power which might have been sugnificantly more than the rms.

Comment

Originally posted by ckyskater733
                        thats what i was thinking, and when he hooked his amp to one sub it was getting double the power which might have been sugnificantly more than the rms.
                        Yea im pretty sure thats what happened, thanks for the help guys.
                        My H22A SWAP JOURNAL

Members Ride

Comment

Working...
                        X