Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ground problem? where's a good ground for my amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ground problem? where's a good ground for my amp?

I recently installed a kenwood head unit with a Profile 1000w 4-channel amp in my car using stock speakers, no subwoofer and im experiencing some noise problems with my system.

The problem seems to happen in 2 situations. Fist, whenever I slow down coming to a stop Ill get a lot of interference. It happens whenever I use my brakes, and 90% of the time it will happen when I'm coming down around 30-20mph under 1000rpm. Second, when my car is idling, I'm not sure what it is that kicks in in the engine bay, but something does if I idle long enough (is it the fan? Ive heard hondas do this- even after the car is turned off) and when it does I'll get the same interference.
    My amp is screwed into the back of the rear seats. I have my power and ground cable on opposite sides of the car. My RCA and speaker cables are routed together from the head unit down past my shifter and then across the floor in front of the driver's seat to the edge of the car and down the sill to the rear seats.
    I've been told that I might try some different RCA cables since the ones I have are pretty cheap- and then try routing them differently to see if they are picking up interference from the RCA cables or the shifter.

I've also been told that the problems I'm having are most likely grounding problems. I'm starting to think so because of where I have my ground wire. (its bolted down above the rear right wheel well where I had to sand down the paint) I used to have another problem with a high pitched whine that got louder as I accelerated and when I took a dremel to sand down the ground area more it went away.

Soooo I just wanted to know what you guys think- and more importantly, where do you guys have your ground at for your amps? Where is a good spot to ground my amp considering it's located on the back of the rear passenger seat?
    Last edited by phunkatek; 02-03-2006, 04:44 AM.

fold your back seat down and u will see the wires for the fuel gauge thingy (i think thats what it is) ther will be a wire grounded there sand the paint and ground there thats where mine is and get no noise i also have cheap rca's but every car is different try that and see if that helps

Comment

Thanks for the help- Ill give it a shot!

Comment

Originally posted by phunkatek
        I recently installed a kenwood head unit with a Profile 1000w 4-channel amp in my car using stock speakers, no subwoofer and im experiencing some noise problems with my system.

The problem seems to happen in 2 situations. Fist, whenever I slow down coming to a stop Ill get a lot of interference. It happens whenever I use my brakes, and 90% of the time it will happen when I'm coming down around 30-20mph under 1000rpm. Second, when my car is idling, I'm not sure what it is that kicks in in the engine bay, but something does if I idle long enough (is it the fan? Ive heard hondas do this- even after the car is turned off) and when it does I'll get the same interference.
        My amp is screwed into the back of the rear seats. I have my power and ground cable on opposite sides of the car. My RCA and speaker cables are routed together from the head unit down past my shifter and then across the floor in front of the driver's seat to the edge of the car and down the sill to the rear seats.
        I've been told that I might try some different RCA cables since the ones I have are pretty cheap- and then try routing them differently to see if they are picking up interference from the RCA cables or the shifter.

I've also been told that the problems I'm having are most likely grounding problems. I'm starting to think so because of where I have my ground wire. (its bolted down above the rear right wheel well where I had to sand down the paint) I used to have another problem with a high pitched whine that got louder as I accelerated and when I took a dremel to sand down the ground area more it went away.

Soooo I just wanted to know what you guys think- and more importantly, where do you guys have your ground at for your amps? Where is a good spot to ground my amp considering it's located on the back of the rear passenger seat?
        just make sure that you do sand the paint off, you want metal-to-metal contact on your ground...also..make sure that you use the same size wire for the ground as you have for the power wire...equal size in and out..one last thing, dont drill into your gas tank..

Comment

I used the bolt for the back seat, under the side cushion. It's served me well for the past few months. I used it because there's no paint there...

Originally posted by lordoja
          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

if you mean the bolt that comes upward with a nut on it, under the seat's back padding right next to the door and above the wheel well- then it's the same one I used...

Comment

Working...
            X