Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with a 91 that converted to 92-93 SRS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone with a 91 that converted to 92-93 SRS?

Anyone with a 90-91 Accord that swapped in functional SRS 92-93 SRS components? I'm not talking about only DIY'ers but have any of you ever got the conversion done like at a dealer or something? How much did it cost you and have you ever looked at the harness to see if it's swappable from a 92-93? Reason why I'm asking is because I found a clean 91 SE that i'm thinking about getting but the only things I don't like is the no airbag factor. The thing saved my life and I dunno if I can live without one in the car.

I'm not looking for any answers like "No don't mess with that, should be handled by a professional etc." I already know it's a critical sensative part of the car but I know i'm not the only one who thought about updating safety in a car. Critical parts like that,brakes etc I always leave to a professional. I don't even trust myself doing because I want to be guaranteed it's going to work properly.

Whoever done this (pro mechanic) or got it done at the dealer.... what issues were there? Was it just simply moving all the 92-93 components over and getting the dealer to reset the SRS system thats already been logged as been "deployed". Was most of everything a direct swap over? or is it more involved like changing the whole 90-91 underdash wiring components.
    And last but not least....how much did this conversion cost?

Thanks
    I need a custom turbo manifold built....
    707 NorCal NinjaZ

Honda Twincam Motorwerkz?
    "I am the Yakuza CB7!"
    '92 Accord Sedan SiR

the entire SRS system is a completely independent wiring harness, all wrapped in yellow loom. its all under the carpet, mounted against the firewall. besides mounting everything, theres not really anything difficult you would need to do to "convert" the car. youd of course need the steering wheel & airbag and the SRS cable reel, wiring harness, computer, two shock sensors, and i think thats it.

the only thing i wonder is, the shock sensors sit in these little indentations in the firewall. im not sure if non SRS cars have these indentations. its possible, as 90-91's have a few of the mounting provisions for features that only came out in 92-93, this may be the same. 91 wagons had an airbag, so a 91 SE very well may have the mounting points.

as far as resetting a deployed SRS, ive never heard of that needing to be done on a CB7. after being used and the airbags being replaced, the SRS light goes back to being off, indicating no issues/problems. though on a newer (98) it was necessary to replace the computer. this may be a newer thing they started doing. i will double check the helms to see if they mention it.

i have no idea what a dealership would charge. i have a feeling most wouldnt even want to mess with it, as its not a "proper" job to be done, while it would still work.

if you do decide to go for it, i have a full uncut SRS harness from a 93 EX, including cable reel. just no wheel & airbag. it had been deployed, but the harness is still useful, and the computer probably is, i just need to confirm.
    Last edited by cp[mike]; 10-16-2006, 09:57 AM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Mike, you mention the shock sensors I have seen them when I was stripping my white car I had and I was wondering how they know when do go off. Like how do they not go off from LOUD ass bass? It's a mystery in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
        the entire SRS system is a completely independent wiring harness, all wrapped in yellow loom. its all under the carpet, mounted against the firewall. besides mounting everything, theres not really anything difficult you would need to do to "convert" the car. youd of course need the steering wheel & airbag and the SRS cable reel, wiring harness, computer, two shock sensors, and i think thats it.

the only thing i wonder is, the shock sensors sit in these little indentations in the firewall. im not sure if non SRS cars have these indentations. its possible, as 90-91's have a few of the mounting provisions for features that only came out in 92-93, this may be the same. 91 wagons had an airbag, so a 91 SE very well may have the mounting points.

as far as resetting a deployed SRS, ive never heard of that needing to be done on a CB7. after being used and the airbags being replaced, the SRS light goes back to being off, indicating no issues/problems. though on a newer (98) it was necessary to replace the computer. this may be a newer thing they started doing. i will double check the helms to see if they mention it.

i have no idea what a dealership would charge. i have a feeling most wouldnt even want to mess with it, as its not a "proper" job to be done, while it would still work.

if you do decide to go for it, i have a full uncut SRS harness from a 93 EX, including cable reel. just no wheel & airbag. it had been deployed, but the harness is still useful, and the computer probably is, i just need to confirm.
        Cool... well i'm going to take a look at my car now... i dunno if I can salvage the SRS components and I never really looked at the shock sensors or what they even look like. That SE looks really nice and that would be probably the first mod I'll do to it is a SRS system.

Originally posted by Maple50175
        Mike, you mention the shock sensors I have seen them when I was stripping my white car I had and I was wondering how they know when do go off. Like how do they not go off from LOUD ass bass? It's a mystery in my eyes.
        If i remember right, I think the shock sensors don't work by those means. I forgot where I read it but, the cars srs computer reads the cars speed....but if the car is going say..... 15-20mph then goes to 0mph in an instant, thats what causes the airbag(s) to deploy...an instant drop in speed. I've seen some weird cases like one of my homegurls 2000 mitsubishi eclipse. I actually witnessed the accident when we were coming home from work. She was 4cars ahead of me when the car in front of her braked.... a tailgater following her braked instantly too but had no abs and slid into her rear bumper. however her airbag didn't deploy at all? I know some of you seen 92-93's at the junkyard that have collisions of some sort but the airbag is still intact. I wonder if they didn't deploy at all? or the driver actually replaced it and was driving the car junky like that.
        I need a custom turbo manifold built....
        707 NorCal NinjaZ

Honda Twincam Motorwerkz?
        "I am the Yakuza CB7!"
        '92 Accord Sedan SiR

Comment

Working...
        X