Building a Dual Sealed Sub Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a Dual Sealed Sub Box

Alright, well I'm building a dual sealed sub box, I'm getting the Polk MOMO's from Circuit City for $79 each and I already have a 2-channel 600 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp. I haven't decided whether to go 10" or 12" yet, probably 10" because it will be smaller and Circuit city has them in stock. But here's my question:

This may be a newbie question, but when building a dual sealed box is it like 2 boxes almost put together, with a board seperating in the middle, or is it all open in the middle??

Thats all I need to know, Polk has a GREAT site for giving me dimensions for everything I need to build my own! BTW Where do you guys buy carpet for this, just any from like Home Depot, or does the audio carpet really make a difference?

Tim

Yeah, you gotta have the divider wall, they are like 2 separate boxes.

My song of the week (or till I change it): Snow Patrol - Take Back The City

Comment

Yeah, definetly sepparate the subs. For some reason when my friend made his, he left the middle open. Now whenever one hits' the other sub goes in, instead of out.

Comment

Yup, that will tend to happen

My song of the week (or till I change it): Snow Patrol - Take Back The City

Comment

Well, I ended up buying one sub box at Wal-Mart just so I could test my sub out...it was $35 for the 12" one. I want to build my own because I think I'll get better response out of one that is custom built for its size.

Here's my dillema:

The subs I got are 2 12" Polk/MOMO Subwoofers - 800watts

I got a 600 watt amp which does just GREAT powering one sub.

Now, since I don't want to upgrade the amp, I got a great deal on it, will it really help putting 2 subs in, because I'm splitting the power when I put 2 in...

Now, here's what I was thinking, test it and see how much more power the amp really has when I play with the gain, etc. If there's a lot more then there's power left in the amp I'm not using, so I should go for 2. What's your opinion? When I power up the 1 12" I got already it sounds great, but when I crank up the gain it gets distorted at high booms...but I think thats to be expected, with 2 would it be a lot different?

Comment

check out millionbuy.com for nice pre-fabbed boxes.

They got killer deals on all I.C.E.

My Cardomain

Current Score: Cops - IV Me - V
            Quote of the moment: "The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them."
            Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
            Simulation Racing Thread i.e. PC, PS2 & XBOX

Comment

put both they will be underpowered so they wont blow yet they will still hit hard only thing is ya amp will ova heat quicker

Comment

o ya but why a sealed box if u want to feel da bass make a ported box

Comment

SPACE!!! Thats my main issue...would it be better to go 1 sub with a ported?

Comment

it depends i personal dont like sealed most hit like shit to me lolz but i am a bass head u can fit 2 12z ported in a cb7 and have crazy space left over i kno cuz i put 2 bazooka 12z in my friends 91

Comment

Yeah, I got a $35 sealed at Wal-mart just to see how it works and fits, (one of those things ya just gotta test) and it doesn't hit AT ALL like I thought. I'm going tomorrow to build a ported one and see how that is, I'll probably build a dual ported, see how it sounds with 1 sub in and if its GREAT then I'll cut the other half off but if not then I'm going to put the 2nd one in. My only thing is that I'm not sure if it will make a big diff since my amp is underpowered for 2, but just fine for 1.

Comment

all you have to do is get the size for the inside of the box rite and your ports the right length theres allso some stuff u stuff in the box and it hits harder as for carpet any local car audio shop should sell some to match your car

Comment

Yeah, here are the plans I'm going off of, any tips?? I think I got the lengths and everything but I'm not sure how long to make the port tube or anything like that, it doesn't exactly say. Any ideas?

http://www.polkaudio.com/car/toolbox...plan.php?id=55

Comment

Wait, I just saw...width 4 in, length 10 in, down at the bottom. Should I be stuffing my whole sub box lightly with polyfill or just around the edges. My premade sub box from wal-mart had it just around the edges

Comment

on the site its says to only litely fill it

Comment

Working...
                              X