Ground ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground ??

in my car i have had a 500w amp powering 2 10s for quite some time now but the other day i added a 100w amp for my 6x9s cause one of my deck channels stopped working but now there is a high pitched buzzing sound which usually means a bad ground so i bought some new stuff, ground distibutions block, 4gauge to a brace under the antenna behind the paneling, i sanded down all the paint till i got to metal and got a ring terminal and bolted it onto the brace. from the amps i have 8 guage to the distribution block. i ran a 8 guage wire from one of the spots on the dis. block to the negative battery terminal and i added a 12 guage wire from the headunit ground to that wire that goes to the battery that quieted the sound but its still there. when i unhook the small amp the noise is gone but i really dont think theres a ground issue i think its a problem with the amp. its a crappy old majestic 252. One of my friends said it might be from the ground being too close the power antenna motor, anyone have a better ground spot?

How close are your speaker wires to your power cables? That could be it also?

Just try grounding it in a different spot and see if it makes any difference.

Comment

Ground loop isolator from radio shack solved my problem. It's RCA cables with a pod on it. Works wonders.

Comment

The ground loop isolator is a bad idea. Messes with your sound in a bad way. I didn't like it, was like having a band pass filter on your whole setup.

Usually the buzzing is caused by shoddy equipment.

My guess is since the buzzing started after you added the 100w amp that it's the cause.

As far as running wires, my amps are all in the trunk, I ran my power wires down the passenger rocker panels, my speaker wires up the driver side rocker and my line inputs under the carpet down the center of the cabin.
        Bart: What's your name?
        Jim: Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayCar
          The ground loop isolator is a bad idea. Messes with your sound in a bad way. I didn't like it, was like having a band pass filter on your whole setup.

I agree it really makes you lose SQ in any application

Comment

Working...
          X