Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

clutch opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch opinion

This is just a general clutch? Which do you feel is better Comp Clutch or ACT? I know that there are a few others out there that are good too. Just curious as to which one you feel would hold up better for both street/strip. Just to not get into stages lets just say both are the 6puck sprung highest clamp ones.

Do you have which kind or stage you prefer? That might help us decide what you need. Havent heard anything bad about ACT but they are slightly priced higher I would think. You might be able to find some equal competitors if not for the asking price. CC doesnt look all that bad honestly browsing there site. But I havent read many reviews and dunno people that use them.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

did you happen to read the last sentance? It talks about the stage issue. I know both are very good compared to XTD, but which one has the upper hand between the two.

Comment

I cant read and typing at 2am buzzing is not a great thing. Yea both definitely exceed XTD qualities from what I can see. I would probably go with ACT since I have had that used the product before and it works pretty well.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

after seeing photos of XTD's possibly being stock clutches with a spray paint job on it, i dont think ill purchase one in my lifetime.

ACT makes killer clutches as well as exedy. never heard of comp clutches.
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

everyone says XTD is a horrible clutch but i think XTD is more of a "you get what you pay for". Reason i say that is because i ran an XTD stage 3 6 puck on my b18 integra with a 110 shot and it did 223 whp and the clutch held BEAUTIFULLY!!. Plus it was still streetable so when i wasnt spraying it wasnt a big deal. It felt like a slightly tightened up stock clutch. I ran a bottle empty every 2-3 days on a 10lb bottle for a year and a half and my motor gave out before that clutch did. I will say though that the clutch was pretty beat and maybe had 6 months left on it after i pulled it but hell nitrous is rough on any part of the motor or drivetrain. ESPECIALLY a clutch. Im not trying to change peoples minds but i just wanna put out my experience with it. Im just tired of reading about people said this and people said that but not really an first hand experience. For $135 shipped, you cant complain about only 2 years use especially on a nitrous motor. Maybe i got lucky..i dunno but i can tell you Im using a stage 4 XTD on my boosted cb9.
            Last edited by chrischhorn; 04-06-2008, 11:49 AM.

Comment

I dunno. After hearing the XTD issue I am kinda sketchy now too. For now I think my pressure plate on my stage 3 is starting to slowly go out on me. It doesnt like to catch sometimes. It was good when I first got it but now its just starting to deteriorate slowly. It doesnt like when you feather the clutch.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

lol i dont think any clutch likes it when you feather it

Comment

Sorry about making this thread OT but carbon clutches actually like feathering. As the clutch gets hotter it grabs a lot harder. Thats why they cost like 2-3k for good carbon systems.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by chrischhorn
                    everyone says XTD is a horrible clutch but i think XTD is more of a "you get what you pay for". Reason i say that is because i ran an XTD stage 3 6 puck on my b18 integra with a 110 shot and it did 223 whp and the clutch held BEAUTIFULLY!!. Plus it was still streetable so when i wasnt spraying it wasnt a big deal. It felt like a slightly tightened up stock clutch. I ran a bottle empty every 2-3 days on a 10lb bottle for a year and a half and my motor gave out before that clutch did. I will say though that the clutch was pretty beat and maybe had 6 months left on it after i pulled it but hell nitrous is rough on any part of the motor or drivetrain. ESPECIALLY a clutch. Im not trying to change peoples minds but i just wanna put out my experience with it. Im just tired of reading about people said this and people said that but not really an first hand experience. For $135 shipped, you cant complain about only 2 years use especially on a nitrous motor. Maybe i got lucky..i dunno but i can tell you Im using a stage 4 XTD on my boosted cb9.
                    223whp? are you fucking kidding me. a stock clutch would hold that much
                    I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                      223whp? are you fucking kidding me. a stock clutch would hold that much

please show me someone with 223whp with a stock clutch that will hold for a year and a half......if 223 whp is no problem for a stock clutch then why does everyone tell everyone else to get a better clutch for a turbo setup? cuz i sure as hell can tell nitrous kicks harder then a turbo does. So please show me proof.

Comment

I think it's also a function of how you drive. If you're doing 0-60 runs at every stoplight, you're going to go through clutches pretty often.

Comment

XTD stage 3 seem to be fine, but 1 and 2 are garbage. Exedy, SPEC, and ACT are the ways to go
                          Originally posted by DoctorCipher
                          ...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.

Comment

well if thats the case......i described how i drive with my stage 3 in my earlier post....will a stock clutch hold at that power under those conditions for that long?

Comment

Originally posted by chrischhorn
                              please show me someone with 223whp with a stock clutch that will hold for a year and a half......if 223 whp is no problem for a stock clutch then why does everyone tell everyone else to get a better clutch for a turbo setup? cuz i sure as hell can tell nitrous kicks harder then a turbo does. So please show me proof.
                              i was actually kinda jokling because nitrous isnt on all the time. with a turbo setup you undergo turbo spool and the constant amount of boost.

you hit the nitrous mainly near the top of your powerband unless you have a really built setup and hit it to spool the turbo quicker. stop and go is where you kill it like my friend trying to do a burnout in his ranger with 33's, LSD and 4.66 gears. smelled clutch that night,.
                              I <3 G60.

Comment

Working...
                              X