Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Factory F22ax Oil System Upgrades - A1 A4 A6 Differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factory F22ax Oil System Upgrades - A1 A4 A6 Differences

Randomly looked into this on a deeper level, found some extra information I did not know. I verified this all through www.hondaautomotiveparts.com parts catalog. Not all F22a6's are created equal, there are differences between the auto vs 5-spd. I hope this helps those trying to swap parts over for upgrades in future.

F22a1 > 90-93 Accord DX/LX
    F22a4 > 90-91 Accord EX
    F22a6 Auto > 91 or 93 SE, 92-93 EX
    F22a6 5-spd > 92-93 EX

All F22a6 Motors:
    - Have windage trays

Auto F22a6 Motors:
    - Have factory oil coolers
    - Water pipe (on back of block) is designed for oil cooler

5-spd F22a6, All F22a1/a4 Motors:
    - No factory oil coolers
    - Regular water pipe (on back of block)
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

damn did i get shafted lol. Can these parts be interchanged i assume so. And i am talking about the oil cooler?
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93
      damn did i get shafted lol. Can these parts be interchanged i assume so. And i am talking about the oil cooler?
      That is what I implied, so based on the information I posted you can make sure you get the parts needed from the correct type of Accord and not waste your time.

Comment

st0opid 93 lx coupe. Lol ok well i will be going to a junkyard to get the oil cooler and back hose pipe Good looking out cisco
        ~Nick~
        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13

Comment

Is there a picture of this said oil cooler?
          Other than the Transmission cooler, I've yet to see another
          Speaking of which I just snagged a giant tranny cooler
          Your man for wiring solutions!
          CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
          CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

It is where the oil filter connects to the block. Part # 22 below, you need part # 23 and 33 with it.

Last edited by HondaFan81; 04-10-2008, 06:28 PM.
            ~Nick~

Comment

good looking out the Cisco, would it raise the amount of oil needed, like 4qts to 4.25qts?
              Originally posted by 92dm
              I was actually just being a smart ass, and not really contributing to this at all.
              VOUCHES
              Bought from: cb95spd

Comment

Originally posted by CB7Man
                Is there a picture of this said oil cooler?
                Other than the Transmission cooler, I've yet to see another
                Speaking of which I just snagged a giant tranny cooler
                i took mine off a h23. but i had to use the pipe from a f22a6 auto.
                the one on the f22 looks a lil different

Comment

What? That tiny ass round thing filled with coolant?
                  Looks like more seals and hoses to worry about
                  Your man for wiring solutions!
                  CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
                  CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

Originally posted by bluecb7
                    good looking out the Cisco, would it raise the amount of oil needed, like 4qts to 4.25qts?
                    More than a little more. Besides, differences in oil volume exist depending on what oil filter you use. I know using Purolator premium plus oil filters will yield 4.5 qts exactly on a F22ax motor. So logically you would buy 5 qts to accomodate this and I can tell you this factory oil cooler will take less than 5 qts.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7Man
                      What? That tiny ass round thing filled with coolant?
                      Looks like more seals and hoses to worry about
                      It is a factory oil cooler and it is not so tiny. Yes, you're right that the large O-ring for it does and has gone bad over time, but it is easy to repair if you know how to diagnose properly.

Now, a better question or statement you could have made is, how does this compare to air-cooled oil coolers?

Personally, I feel air-cooled oil coolers would be more effective and my local performance shop agrees with me, however I wonder if it will work too well under normal driving conditions. Then again, multi-grade oils are designed to work in colder weather, so it should not be a problem. Nonetheless, I would like more first-hand experiences before I make my decision in the future since I would consider occassional road-course racing. Perhaps the stock system is fine with good quality oil though? That is why I have an oil psi and oil temp gauge to monitor.

Comment

Very interesting thread Cisco, I've always seen oil coolers on F22a6 autos, never on 5 spds, now it makes sense. It's almost why autos came w/ dual core radiators and 5 spds came w/ single core, it's along the same principal of the added stress (thus heat) from a motor w/ an auto tranny. Very cool

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                          however I wonder if it will work too well under normal driving conditions.
                          I thought of that Cisco. They sell thermostats that will only let oil flow through the cooler when it is in a certain temp range.

I decided to go the route of the stock oil cooler. Less stuff to worry about, and that way I don't have to run oil lines all over the already crowded engine bay.

Comment

Originally posted by preludeman92
                            I thought of that Cisco. They sell thermostats that will only let oil flow through the cooler when it is in a certain temp range.

I decided to go the route of the stock oil cooler. Less stuff to worry about, and that way I don't have to run oil lines all over the already crowded engine bay.

I did the opposite, I used F23 parts to eliminate my factory cooler and added an air cooled one. Havent had any problems with it over cooling, but then again I'm in a pretty mild southern climate, not michigan like cisco who has to deal with colder weather.
                            Turbo H23a3 build has begun
                            01-01-2019

Comment

w00t the f20a twin cam has that oil cooler loop. thats awesome!!

so bj...you took out the factory looped cooler and added an air cooler. so basically it prob wouldnt be the greatest ideas to run the loop with an air cooler? or is that not even possible.

EDIT, i guess if you run the air cooler, oil lines would have to be run to places which means the filter is usually placed somewhere else. hence the oil cooler loop (stock) is pointless? or would it just be double cooled now, which probably wouldnt be good, even though i am in the deep south where it does get warm?
                              Last edited by bagoon316; 04-15-2008, 02:40 PM.

Hola, tengo tres patas. Me llamo tripod.

Originally posted by d112crzy
                              So you're throwing a bitch fit because some other girl at school has the same nail polish and skirt as you do?

Comment

Working...
                              X