Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

What all is done when someone builds up an engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What all is done when someone builds up an engine?

I want to get more experience on cars in general since I'm only 16 and an engine swap/forced induction is too expensive at this time.

I was wondering, if I want to build up the stock F22 or something, what all is done during that process? What options and price ranges am I looking it?

Is it essentially rebuilding it with different parts? THe engine has ~167k miles now

I would be doing this winter break or some time when I have a good two weeks to spend on this project. I'd like to have my car during school because it really makes our life much easier because of my sports, clubs at school, etc.

Without forced induction, again, depending on what I do, what kind of gains can I see?

OR, are there no gains at all but the engine is now built up to handle more power? Honestly, I want more experience, I've done an intake but I think I'll learn a ton more working on the engine itself

Edit: I have a 91 Accord LX, 4-door

depends on how u wanna rebuild it. do u want to put stock internals or u want to make it ready for forced introduction.

if u want to go stock and if u don't have any cilinder wall problems. then just replace the piston rings and tie rods.(ps check the rods for any problems and if u have the money change them too. and u good to go.

but if u want to go go ready for forced introduction then that is another story and u will need lots of $$$$$ something that us students (HS and College) don't have. lol
    are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

To really answer your question you should just look up how an engine works, and what all parts it contains internally. The main parts that are going to break easily are the ones you upgrade. These tend to be the pistons, rings, rods, and sleeves ... usually they go first. In much higher horsepower applications things like the valves, valve springs, and crankshaft will go out. There are other things too, but those are just some of the main things. Before you build an engine you have to decide how far you are going to go so you don't waste money or do something wrong. Besides building the engine there are other critical parts to upgrade to function properly with the engine. Usually stuff like better fuel and oil pumps, etc, etc.... You should just find some diagrams of Honda engines and exactly how they work and what they look like so you get a better understanding. You have a high mileage engine so a rebuild is a good idea, but still not totally necessary. Our engines are pretty strong and don't require upgraded internals unless you are going really crazy. I have a little over 110k on my engine, and run nitrous along with a lot of other upgraded parts and it's my daily driver and transportation to and from school/college. Just search the forum for topics already covered concerning build ups or post back if you have more specific questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearit22
        To really answer your question you should just look up how an engine works, and what all parts it contains internally. The main parts that are going to break easily are the ones you upgrade. These tend to be the pistons, rings, rods, and sleeves ... usually they go first. In much higher horsepower applications things like the valves, valve springs, and crankshaft will go out. There are other things too, but those are just some of the main things. Before you build an engine you have to decide how far you are going to go so you don't waste money or do something wrong. Besides building the engine there are other critical parts to upgrade to function properly with the engine. Usually stuff like better fuel and oil pumps, etc, etc.... You should just find some diagrams of Honda engines and exactly how they work and what they look like so you get a better understanding. You have a high mileage engine so a rebuild is a good idea, but still not totally necessary. Our engines are pretty strong and don't require upgraded internals unless you are going really crazy. I have a little over 110k on my engine, and run nitrous along with a lot of other upgraded parts and it's my daily driver and transportation to and from school/college. Just search the forum for topics already covered concerning build ups or post back if you have more specific questions.
        Thanks. Honestly, I want to stay with an NA setup for this car, it's my daily driver and I honestly don't want to deal with FI at this point.

By the way it sounds, just upgrading pistons, rings, rods, and sleeves won't result in any more power. Maybe I should just save up for an H22... I guess being cheap isn't the way to do it :P

If I did do things like pistons, rings, rods, sleeves, etc. would I see any power gain?

Comment

It gets a little more technical, but yes and no.... If you keep all the parts to the same spec you won't. Changing the compression ratio on pistons or boring out the sleeves will get you good gains. I love my f22, but I'm using nitrous and will be going turbo within the next year too. For those things the f22 is just as good as the h22, and really a better engine for turbo. As much as I love it though, I have to say if you want to stay NA the h22 is probably a better choice unless you have a lot of money. It already has high compression pistons, and a much higher powerband so it's a better choice for NA.

Comment

Working...
          X