Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

AT tranny question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AT tranny question

How much hp can a 91 AT tranny with a tranny cooler handle?

I think people have done the DSM turbo setup with auto transmissions, using transmission coolers, and I think the average DSM numbers are +/-200whp. All I know is that i read, as long as you dont beat on it at every light you should be ok. Do you have a tranny cooler? Who is it made by?

1992 Honda Accord Coupe LX

Comment

The car is getting a h22 next week and I was thinking "why not a turbo too?" Turboed h22 wagon ftw. I dont have the tranny cooler yet but probably a B&M.

Comment

Originally posted by Corban Dallas View Post
        The car is getting a h22 next week and I was thinking "why not a turbo too?" Turboed h22 wagon ftw. I dont have the tranny cooler yet but probably a B&M.
        Reason I was asking was was because the only one's I have seen were B&M's, so I was just wonderin if there were others out there. If you are getting an h22, you could go 5 speed now too and save yourself the worry of needing the cooler a slowly wearing the tranny out. Quick question are you getting the h22 engine and using the accord's tranny?

1992 Honda Accord Coupe LX

Comment

I am keeping it a AT and yes I am using the accord tranny. The reason I may go turbo is I can get my brothers old set up(only would need a manifold and some piping) for like $300. There are other brand of tranny coolers out there, mostly no name brands.

Comment

what's the current condition of your trans? how often have you changed the fluid? if you go out to your car right NOW, and pull the tranny dipstick, what color would your fluid be?

THEN: 1993 Accord 10th Ann. Ed.---------------------- NOW: 1996 Accord EX
            My Ride thread
            Flickr
            Originally posted by d112crzy
            And it can only get better. That's the best part.
            All I gotta really say is:
            People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

The tranny is in good shape. Last time it was in my buddies shop I had him check and change all the fluids. He said the tranny fluid looked good and nothing in the fluid.

Comment

what fluid is being ran in it?

My Ride thread
                Flickr
                People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

Right now just Honda tranny fluid but when the swap goes in we are doing Royal Purple or Redline ATF.

Comment

if you do turbo, i would recommend getting an intermediate shaft as well. I've got a NA H22 and I literally snapped my axle....so my next upgrade is to get an intermediate shaft on the driver's side to beef up the drivetrain a bit better.

member's ride thread
                    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                    91 Accord SE 176k
                    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

you're snapping axle incident was from what's considered "stupidity". not to be rude in ANY way man.

keep running honda atf. Nothing works any better, period.

My Ride thread
                      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by prNonVtec4u View Post
                        keep running honda atf. Nothing works any better, period.
                        I totally agree.

speaking for myself and my 2 other auto turbo h22 friends, you might get different result since we don't floor at at every stop light. My stock jdm h22auto tranny with lsd is handling over 300+whp at high boost 13psi. I usually hit 8psi as daily driver to work and to home. if your auto h22 tranny with or without LSD is in good health, around 250whp should be ok since all 2 of my friend does not have LSD and pushing 267+whp on stock engine/tranny

Another notes everyone know Auto Trany make less hp/tq then manual, specially the TQ. so we don't break axle much during launch or race or at racetrack vs manual who spin wheel more. This is just a refference to go by-not extensive tested. With regular fluid change, aftermarket tranny cooler and dont ever do neutral drop, if your turbo setup is good and not half-baked at low boost the tranny will out live your engine.

Most turbo improperly tune and setup will have a dead engine in 3-6months, some will die less then 3 week , has happened to my self and my 2 friend- whom has went the cheap/butt-tune way when we were noobs.

GL and hope to see another boost AUto H22 soon
                        90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
                        < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Comment

blazen accord: for your trans cooler installation, did you bypass the stock radiator cooler and run only the aftermarket? or both inline? pix would be awesome .

Thnx!

My Ride thread
                          Flickr

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I will be running Honda ATF in it. How often should I change it with the turbo setup? I won't be doing any neutral drops or flooring it all the time. I only plan to run about 6-8 pounds. Also once the turbo is in I am taking it to a buddy of mine to get dyno tuned. And this guy knows his stuff. He has a 78 ford f350 converted to a dualie, with 22" semi truck wheels(lathed from 22.5) on AT type tires that runs low 13's and high 12's LOL. I will keep you guys posted. At the very least the motor is going in on Monday(along with a new front bumper, cd5 lip, oem fogs, aem 14" rotors, intake, header, high flow cat and some tie bars). I am stoked

Comment

every other oil change

ps. might sound overkill, but i'm pretty anal bout my trans

My Ride thread
                              Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X