Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

ebay intake kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ebay intake kits

theres a lot of intake kits on ebay for 4th gens and theyre quite cheap (in comparison to aem products)

are they really not as good?

would there be benefits with a cai with the stock exhaust?

it wouldnt be too loud would it?

thanks
    93 Accord LXA AT

I have an e-bay CAI, except i'm using it as a short ram air right now because i want to get a bypass valve before i completely install it. no there's really no difference between the expensive ones and the cheap ones except for looks. You will see gains even though you dont have an exaust, 5 hp at the most. It will make the car a little bit louder then it was with the stock intake, it'll give your car a little bit of a "growl."

One more thing i suggust, get an AEM bypass valve. Dont go cheap on a bypass valve. It will prevent hydrolocking your engine since when you install the CAI, you need to put the filter underneth the front fender. If you hit a big puddle or something, you can suck water up and hydrolock your engine. Other companies make nock-off's, but they dont have an actual "valve,", they're just another filter higher up in the intake. AEM's actually ahve a valve that close when it starts pulling up water. The extra 20 bucks is worth it IMHO...
    --JDM F22A--

JDM schmeDM, these lights are DIY-DM.

Comment

ive heard the valve totally eliminates all performance gains though

im in southern california so theres very little rain but i suppose it would be a concern for the few days of the year that it does get wet
      93 Accord LXA AT

Comment

I was also told it restricts performance as well, not sure to what degree. I installed mine without, but that thought is in the back of mind. If you check one of the cai reviews, they demonstrate the bypass valve on a car belonging to one of aem's owners, or scientists or something, he worked for aem is what I mean. But you'll notice they install it on his to test it, he didn't have one installed beforehand. If he doesn't use one I guess I'll think it over more...

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
        where you been, is something wrong?
        i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

I wont install a CAI on my car without one. In west chester we dont get too much rain, so the sewers arnt all that set up for high ammounts of rain.. when it rains hard, we get puddles left and right. I dont want to have to worry about blowing an engine, so i've got it as a short ram air right now. The AEM bypass valve does show a small drop in performance but they say it's minimal..

The bypass valve may cause a slight loss in power due to the interrupted wall section created by the internal shape of the valve. In dyno testing we have found that the power loss is minimal. The bypass valve offers great security against hydro locking the engine in rainy conditions. If maximum power is the requirement, we suggest that the bypass valve be used in the rainy season and when racing use a coupler hose to make a smooth section where the bypass valve goes.
          --JDM F22A--

JDM schmeDM, these lights are DIY-DM.

Comment

why do so many people think if they suck in some water it'll hydrolock their engine?? i drive with mine on in winter!!! without the stupid by-pass. same with my civic that had a CAI on.. and yes i've gone through puddles and no it didn't do anything, not even make my car run shitty for a second. my friend and i tryed to hydrolock his beater and we went through a puddle up to the middle of the doors.. that almost did the job but it still got out of it and we drove off and nothing happened after that.

i read someplace it'll take a quart of water constantly to hydrolock your engine... no little splash of water will do that!!!!!
            HAN - ZiviCase10287
            Honda-tech - zivicase
            HMT - draztik
            d-series - draztik
            Team Integra - RacinMasonC

Comment

Originally posted by DraZtiK
              why do so many people think if they suck in some water it'll hydrolock their engine?? i drive with mine on in winter!!! without the stupid by-pass. same with my civic that had a CAI on.. and yes i've gone through puddles and no it didn't do anything, not even make my car run shitty for a second. my friend and i tryed to hydrolock his beater and we went through a puddle up to the middle of the doors.. that almost did the job but it still got out of it and we drove off and nothing happened after that.

i read someplace it'll take a quart of water constantly to hydrolock your engine... no little splash of water will do that!!!!!
              ask PRIMOCB7, he'll tell you what happened..

basically if you're worried about sucking in water, just get a short ram or a two-piece CAI with bypass, both are good worthy investments. if you do decide to go with ebay intakes, get a good air filter

Comment

who makes a good cone air filter?
                93 Accord LXA AT

Comment

It's very, very difficult to hydrolock the engine. Just think about how much water gets in there through humiditiy? The bypass valve really does eliminate all of the performance gains you would get from the intake.

Comment

i dissagree that theres very little difference in intakes

http://tprmag.com/issue/1/sr-results.shtml http://tprmag.com/issue/1/ca-results.shtml

by reading that i clearly picked the weapon r and beleive me i definatley felt a big difference i raced an 1990 auto accord 4 dr he had a injem intake and has been driving longer than me and i beat him by three cars maybe im just naive but i say all intakes are not the same

Comment

Just buy one of the ebay kits and get a K&N filter. Your then done....
                      Honda-Tech Username: Lostcb7
                      The cb7tuner.com OG.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
                        Humidity?

Ok, I'll bite. How much water _is_ that?
                        How much is it? Depends on where you live. In Texas where I live it's almost never below 50% ... still don't think that's a lot of water? You basically have to pour water into your intake to mess up your engine is all I'm trying to say. Splashing, rain, or even really high humidity/condensation would never mess it up. So all this leaves is carelessness. You literally have to drive through about a foot and a half of water to risk hydrolocking your engine. There is just no excuse for it ... be careful and it will never happen. I have no bypass valve, and I even have all the plastic protective stuff removed around my intake. It's been on there for over a year now with no problems at all, and my car rides about two inches off the ground in the front. This just goes to show no matter what the bypass valve isn't necessary unless you think your car is a boat.

Comment

wait...my cars not a boat?!?

why wasnt i told this when i bought it
                          93 Accord LXA AT

Comment

Originally posted by dwoloz
                            wait...my cars not a boat?!?

why wasnt i told this when i bought it
                            joo got ripped off mang

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
                              Honda, for S2000.