Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

cam regrind suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam regrind suggestions

My cb9 heart broke, spun bearing. Now I bought another a6 motor for it but turned out to have two valves bent. So I took my old head to a machine shop. To have cleaned and resurfaced and ended milling it .015". Now I'm looking into the delta regrinds most of you go with the 272 but since money is tight and on a budget don't wanna upgrade my valve train. So would the 260 regrind work for now of course..

260 if you aren't planning on getting the ecu tuned
    for 272 a tune is highly recommended

Comment

People run the 272 with the stock valvetrain. However, with the milling AND the increased lift and duration of a cam upgrade, you'll want to be careful not to run into clearance issues.

Comment

either way better cam = a new tune to get the most performance out of it.sure you could use a biggger cam with a 20 year old valvtrain..... how long it lasts is the real question.

my new turbo build

Comment

As long as you don't rev past the redline, it should work (this is not taking the milling into account... that may change things.) Upgraded springs are ALWAYS a good choice, but I've seen plenty of 272s running on stock springs.

But yes, tuning with a bigger cam will give the best results, for sure.

Comment

I highly doubt you will run into any clearance issues it should clear just fine and have plenty of piston to valve clearances left.If in doubt clay it.....

WED3K ran .030 off his head with a 272 no problems so OP you'll be good .040 is maximum most honda heads can be milled IIRC so .015 ain't a big deal.But like i said if you or anyone else has doubt's clay it.
            Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 01-04-2012, 11:40 PM.

02 Crv
            02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
            92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
            Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Well I was gonna get a ecu tuned and chipped from j-k tunning over in carlisle,pa. The kid knows his thing. When I put the head on the cylinder walls looked good no signs of wear. Its running good but the block had two sets of stamps the regular one under the f22a6 and one above it like the f22b1, weird. Its ok but now might be leaning towards the 272. Being that I'll be moving red line from 6200 to 7500 hope there's no issues with my bottom end..

Comment

at the very least, I'd install some ARP rod bolts to strengthen that bottom end, if you plan on raising the redline by 1300. You might consider valvesprings as well. Under the stock redline, the additional lift and duration would probably be fine... but with a higher redline, you're just asking for valve float.

Be sure to do research on your tuner. I've met quite a few "tuners" that actually know very little. It's VERY difficult to judge someone's proficiency with something you have little understanding of yourself. Rather than blindly trusting someone, do some research into their past work, and perhaps spend some time learning about tuning yourself, so you know at least to some extent what he's talking about. Remember... it's YOUR engine. If he blows it up, that puts a small black mark on his reputation (one that he can explain away easily enough just by saying you abused the motor...) but it's going to put a serious hurtin' on your wallet!

Comment

I highly suggest with any performance regrind investing on minimum valve springs. Although people have mentioned they have ran performance cams with factory springs you have to take into consideration factory springs were never designed for any performance use as well I'm sure your engine has a considerable amount of miles which would weaken springs and lower seat pressures resulting problems with valve float and valve train harmonic problems.

Shoot me a pm and I will hook you up with a combo price with Bisimoto re-profiling camshaft service and Bisimoto Pro-springs

Comment

Well I do have an extra head so I could get that properly built. So which cam would give me better gains, Bisi 1.2 or Delta 272????

Comment

The Bisi 1.2 is a turbo grind, I believe... you don't want that, unless you're going turbo.

Delta has rather generic grinds. Bisimoto camshafts SHOULD have a bit more R&D, even the cheaper ones. Still, if you're not looking for crazy gains, and a difference of a couple horsepower doesn't matter, then the difference is small enough that it probably wouldn't even be noticed. Still, if you're going to do it right with the spare head and replace the springs, Julio's offer will probably be your best bet. (it's SO nice having a knowledgeable, attentive bisimoto rep on this site for once! )

Comment

Yea, I'm gonna do the whole valve train. I'll pm julio to see the pakage deal he might be talking about.

Comment

Keep what I said about the rod bolts in mind as well. it's not as good as running new forged rods with new bearings and resurfaced crank journals... but it's better than trusting those old, tired bolts. All you need is for one of those bolts to stretch ever so slightly due to revving 1300rpm over the limit, and you'll spin a bearing.

Comment

That was the reason why swapped motors. My original one broke a rod and I was just cruzing to work. Bu I'll keep that in mind. Thanks Devvv...

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              The Bisi 1.2 is a turbo grind, I believe... you don't want that, unless you're going turbo.

Delta has rather generic grinds. Bisimoto camshafts SHOULD have a bit more R&D, even the cheaper ones. Still, if you're not looking for crazy gains, and a difference of a couple horsepower doesn't matter, then the difference is small enough that it probably wouldn't even be noticed. Still, if you're going to do it right with the spare head and replace the springs, Julio's offer will probably be your best bet. (it's SO nice having a knowledgeable, attentive bisimoto rep on this site for once! )
                              Thanks for the kind words Deevergote.

Yes the Bisimoto Level 1.2 is a turbo specific camshaft profile. I would recommend a Bisimoto Level 2 camshaft with our Pro-springs. Just as Deevergote mentioned we do have much R&D backing up our re-profiling services especially for the F-series engines.

It's always better to invest on the proper parts the first time. It will save you a lot of time and money not having to do things twice.
                              Last edited by Julio@Bisimoto; 01-06-2012, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X