Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

regular, plus, or premium octane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

regular, plus, or premium octane?

Hey guys, I just wanted to get your opinion on what gas produces the most power for my car right now. Its an f22a6 powered 2 door daily driver. I drive around 3k miles every 6 weeks.
    Ever since I had my car, I've been running 87 regular octane. Would it be a good idea to move on up to 89 or is it just a waste of $2 every fill up?
    My mods to the engine are as follows:
    DC Sports 4-2-1 header, Catco cat, Greddy Evo catback, AEM sri, UR set of pulleys, AEM camgear, Delta 272 cam, Hyperground kit, and I just got all of the leaks sealed. Thanks for the input.

Rice or not. Cb7's will never die.

if u get PING then go up one, but i dont think u need to.

high octane reserved more for the turbo, higher performance cars that are programmed for it. i mean, unless ur going tracks, and pounding it ALOT and CHOKE. but then again 87 seems okay as that's what our 'stock' cars are made for. unless it was turbo and mapped for else. but then again that's just my personal beliefs..

let ur car tell u what it needs..hear it and feel it. IMHO.
    hahahahah

Comment

yeah, 87 is fine. If you have advanced timing or higher compression I would go to 89, but you don't. But what he said, your car will tell you what it wants.
      Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

I was told and believe after running problems that running premium in our cars without a cam gear to advance timing is a waste of money. Premium fuel burns slower and more controlled than reguler and plus and our timing isnt set for that. I ran premium for a year and my car started hard idled ruff and felt like it lost power. I switched to a mid grade gas like a 89 (in oregon, 90 in Idaho) and immedialty felt the difference on my wallet and from my car. gas mileage went up and car runs great. My mods are Header, full exhaust w/high flow cat, CAI, Gude cam, accel thundersport wires, NGK V-power plugs. Interestingly enough i took my car into the Honda dealer the other day and was talking to one of the techs and he was telling me that even if you were to advance the timing on our cars using a cam gear the ecu would retard it back to normal. If anyone knows more please post it.

My Ride
        myspace

Comment

yes cam gear timing doesnt matter what octane you run(what your tech said is true). I was talking about ignition timing.
          Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

your ignition timing and cam timing are the same thing its just bigger incriments than you can get out of your disributer.

My Ride
            myspace

Comment

I doubt it. If you go through a chipped ecu to advance the timing, it won't mess with the cam timing. Thats why if you advance it too much you will ping. ANd if changing your cam was the same thing as changing your timing, why would people buy cam gears and msd controller boxes(besides to get a better spark)
              Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by 92ex
                yeah, 87 is fine. If you have advanced timing or higher compression I would go to 89, but you don't. But what he said, your car will tell you what it wants.
                I agree competly. I tried using higher octane back when I had my F22a4 and the only difference I noticed was more $$ at the pump.
                2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
                JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
                My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

Comment

alright i take part of that back but not all of it. Your dizzy runs directly off of your cam. Now if you were to loosen the bolts on the dizzy and turn that you would be messing with your timing. Now i realize that it really is the "cam" timing but its directly related to ignition timing. So the only way to advance your timing really is to have a chipped ecu made for you. As far as buying cam gears im not sure why people do that, there the exact same as your stock gear seeing as, as far as i know, you cant advance your "ignition" timing anywasy without a chipped ecu. flame on

P.S. Sorry to hi jack your thread!!
                  Last edited by 90AccordSiR; 03-30-2005, 08:30 PM.

My Ride
                  myspace

Comment

Originally posted by 90AccordSiR
                    your ignition timing and cam timing are the same thing its just bigger incriments than you can get out of your disributer.
                    actually isnt ignition timing for controlling the spark? and cam timing used to control when the valves open? meaning the w/ the distr. u can have the plugs spark earlier. with cam timing u can control how early the valves open or how late for it to open. ie advancing the cam will open the intake valve earlier in the exhaust stroke and retarding can make it open later or right when the intake stroke begins. ignition timing is only controlling when the spark occurs. too much advance timing can cause pre-ign. correct me if im wrong.

Comment

agree %100. I was talking about chipped ecu/EMS using them to advance igintion timing.
                      Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

senseiaccord, the cam runs straight to the dizzy or something, and a mark on it tells wich cyclinder to fire and stuff, so as you turn the cam a mark on the cam will hit a certain point causing the dizzy to fire.
                        Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

just go with 87..octane is i think the potential to heat up and fire, so basically our accord is designed that way to heat it to a certain value and fire, if we put 91 in ours then it may not do a nice burn like we want it to be.

i ran higher octane on my accord at a time..i noticed that it was more smoother but i felt a less of a punch from the motor...so i went back and its all good on my wallet and my wallet =)
                          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

there is a way to reset the imming on our cars.
                            behind the passenger kick pannel there is a plug with 2 wires comming from it. use a paper clip to jump the 2 wires togather. start your car. loosen your dizzy and set your timming. then take the paper clip out, and your set. the computer wont reset your timming. thats what the jumper is for. it's telling the ecu that your setting the ignition timming. adjustable cam gears are always suggested when using an aftermarket cam. its used to raise or flatten your powerband.
                            Turbo f22a/f22b vtec

Comment

i dont know if this is realavant or not.

i live in hawaii (honolulu) and our gas prices are at a record high here in hawaii.

$2.35 is the average for honolulu
                              $2.44 is the average for the state of hawaii

we have 87, 89, and 92 octane here.
                              the cheapest i've seen is $2.33 (87), $2.39 (89), and $2.44 (92).

this is just my own opinion but ever since gas went over $2.00 per gallon here, i noticed that the differential was less than 10 cents between all grades. about five years ago, it was 1.37, 1.47, and 1.57. now that 92 is at 2.44 and the difference between the 92 and 87 is usually 15 cents per gallon, i think it's more worth it nowadays to run the 92. my car runs much slower with the 87--it's like i have to push the gas pedal further. five years ago i used to run 87 all the time. back then i did notice that i'd go a little further on 87 than 92 (a tank of 92 burned up faster than the 87 did). man back then 20 bucks would put me right over the F. nowadays, 20 bucks gets me a little over the half way line.

well, i just think (for people in hawaii) we're better off running the 92 since the difference between 92 and 87 is about 15 cents. putting in 87 nowadays only gets me a fraction of a gallon more for 20 bucks, that's why i run the 92. ...and i like the way the 92 runs, my car slugs around with 87.

Comment

Working...
                              X