Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

H22A Tuning Log (Updated at least once a week!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22A Tuning Log (Updated at least once a week!)

I like making lists and logs and such that could possibly be used by others to help them out. Here's what I'm going to do. I just got the H22A in. I am going to log every time I fill up w/ gas, how much gas mileage I got (using the equation of whatever the trip meter says/16 gallons). I know that the Accord tank is around 17.X gallons, but I figure surely most of the time I have at least around that much to fill up. I'll log how the car is running as well. For this being the first time, I will list my mods and such, and add new mods on updates as well as a end mods list which will be at the bottom. As with any list that shows how I am tuning, I am not responsible for you tuning this way and screwing up your engine. Anything you do as a result of reading this is your own fault. Here goes:

Mods:
    H22A w/ LSD 5 Speed
    AEM Short Ram Intake
    Megan Racing Stainless Steel Header
    Megan Racing Stainless Steel Test Pipe
    Apexi World Sport One Catback
    Apexi Vtec Air Flow Converter(VAFC)
    Stock everything else

March 31st, 2005
    Trip: 240
    Avg. Gas Mileage: 15.00
    93 octane price: 2.15
    The VAFC was running very rich. I'm still running a stock ignition system that came with the engine. I did notice when we took the Distributor cap off to check it, there was some corrosion, so this may be causing me to run rich. I'm going to try and replace the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs all with Honda oem parts asap. I also noticed that for some reason I'm rev limiting at 6500. Spoke with Mayberry4thgen and am going to check my grounds again, and rewire the VTEC pressure switch in since I unplugged the VAFC after filling up. Throttle response doesn't exist when car is cold. Idle is decent, but I just don't have any throttle response until the car warms up. This may also be caused by old ignition components that need replacing.

April 2nd, 2005
    I removed the VAFC today. I also rewired the ecu to make sure that everything was going where it was supposed to. Afterwards, I took the car out for a drive and I'm still limiting on rev at 6500. I have absolutely no idea as to what it could be now. It's time to go through replacing things! I'm going to pull the vtec solenoid and clean it if need be, and if it still doesn't work either try replacing it w/ the f22b1 one, or buy a new one and see if that helps. I really don't know what to do now. No one else I have talked to so far know what it is. I still haven't had the chance to replace my cap, rotor, wires, and plugs though. I am almost convinced that my solenoid is bad, or my ecu is bad.

April 3rd, 2005
    I pulled the vtec solenoid today and cleaned it out, regardless of the fact that it looked almost new inside and the screen was definitely not gunked up. I still have no vtec, and the car still runs like crap.

April 4th, 2005
    Trip: 220
    Avg. Gas Mileage: 13.75
    87 octane price: 2.09
    Obviously from the dump to even crappier gas mileage, I still haven't figured anything out. I accredit the worse gas mileage to the fact that I was hitting that wonderful 6500rpm rev limit quite a few times during the week to see if it was still there. I still don't know if I would have gotten better gas mileage than the last time regardless of that. I am going to put power steering back on the engine within the next week or two. I will also be calling the place I bought the engine from today to request a different ecu. Maybe I'm just crazy and the ecu has been the problem all this time. Still no vtec, still runs like crap, and I have a bouncing temp. gauge!?!?!?!?!?

April 4th, 2005
    GAS CHANGED FROM 2.09 TO 2.17 WHILE AT WORK!!!! THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!
    Getting tired of not throwing a cel, but running like crap, I figured last night, "Why not force it to throw a cel to see what it does". I unplugged the tps, and obviously, the car ran like crap. I sit down in the car until the car died and no check engine light! I crank the car again and went inside for a couple mins. I then came back out and the car was still running, but badly(obviously). I still hadn't thrown a cel! I called one of the guys on the board, and after talking about it for a second, we figured out that my check engine light is burnt out. Today I will be removing the dash bezel and cluster, setting the cluster back in unscrewed so it will make for easy removal tomorrow, when I will be replacing the bulb. I'm sure I will be throwing at least three to four different lights once I get it operational, but at least I'll be able to diagnose and fix my problems now!

April 5th, 2005
    I removed the cluster today to find that there wasn't a bulb in the cluster for my cel. I moved the bulb from the srs light and put it over there. I am now throwing codes 3(map), 6(ect), and 7(tps). I'm also throwing code 36, but I have no idea what 36 is. I'm 90% sure the problems I'm having are being caused by my charcoal box not being plugged in. The harness has been previously altered for some reason, so all I have to do to plug the box in correctly is find the plug for the box and wire it in. I'll update again once I've done this. Just for Wikked!!!

Pr3chr: must update tuning log now, lol
    WikkedV15: yeah
    WikkedV15: T3H WIKKED HELPED J00!

April 6th, 2005
    I was able to eliminate codes 3 and 7 today. After wiring the correct plug onto the harness for the emissions box, the car ran much smoother and now idles nicely(because I now have a good MAP and TPS). I am still throwing code 6 which is the engine coolant temperature sensor(ECT). I went through the diagnosis of the ECT cel in the helms and came to the conclusion that I need to direct wire the ECT through the firewall so I can be sure it goes to the right place. If that doesn't fix the code, I will have to purchase a new sensor at Autozone Friday. They're only $30.00, but hopefully re-wiring this plug will fix my problem. As soon as I fix this I should get vtec finally. If this doesn't fix it, I will have to test a friend's ecu to see if my ecu has something wrong with it, but I don't think that's the case. A big shoutout to Wikked and Mayberry for helping me! Wikked helped me find some misc. things while I was working on eliminating the cels, and Mayberry helped me out that night on my way home when my interior lights and tail lights died. I was freaking out and thought it was because of my tinkering with the cluster, but it turned out to just be a fuse, which is the first thing Mayberry4thgen suggested. I know it was stupid not to think of the fuse first, but I had worked 8 hours, then came home and worked on the car for 4 more, so I was tired. I will update again tomorrow hopefully when I re-wire the ECT sensor plug.

April 7th, 2005
    Tonight I re-wired the ECT sensor plug, and bought a new ECT sensor. When I got back in the car and crank it, it seemed okay, but idled very rough, like I was having a misfire or something. Well I take it on the road to see what happens VTEC-wise, and bam! I now have VTEC!!! I am throwing code 12 for the EGR, and code 23 for the knock sensor now though. I spoke with Wikked and Mayberry once again, and it seems I should replace my cap and rotor, wires, and plugs tomorrow. My NGK Blues came in the mail yesterday, and I will be calling Autozone first thing in the morning to have them same day order some NGK Iridiums, and a Wells 1990 Accord cap and rotor kit. I'll update as to how that works out for me as soon as I get everything replaced. It may be Saturday before I update though because my wife's grandmother was put in the hospital this week for something. Keep you fingers crossed for me guys. All you religious guys help me pray that it will finally run good once I replace these parts. I pray, they don't call me tehpr3chr(The Preacher) for nothing!!!

April 8th, 2005
    Avg mpg: 16.25
    Gas Price:?(paid 2.17 on the way to work for a couple gallons till after work) As you all can see, I am getting much much better gas mileage now. This average is also taking into account that I didn't fix the MAP and TPS until I was half empty or a little more. I also got on it quite a few times, and hit VTEC about five times cause I can . I called the parts store at 8:00AM this morning to order my 1990 Accord cap, Accord rotor, and NGK plugs. Hopefully this will cause me to fire better, thus eliminating my knock sensor code and possibly my EGR code. I'm going to get gas after work and try to baby her this next week and get over 300 miles to this tank. just 300 would mean an average of 18.75, taking into account that I subtract one gallon due to not wanting to run out of gas. My overall goal is to get my car running good enough to get 400 miles to a tank, which would be 25 miles per gallon, and amazing in my opinion. If any of you have any ideas or suggestions on what causes the knock sensor cel, please advise me so I can fix this asap! My car cuts off or almost cuts off at every stop light or stop sign!

April 9th, 2005
    This morning I replaced my cap, wires, and plugs. The car idled kinda crappy, but much better than it had been. As soon as I went to back out of the parking spot, though, it died. I crank it again and started up the hill and threw a code, so I headed back to see what it was. Apparently, for some reason, I have gotten rid of the EGR code, but I am still throwing the knock sensor code, so I am going to replace the knock sensor. I really hope this will be the last of my problems with this.

UPDATES ON PAGE 2
    Last edited by tehpr3chr; 04-11-2005, 09:59 AM.
    JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

My H22 ran rich when i first got it, the shop made a mistake and put the F22 injecters in it when they changed the fuel rail.

Comment

i put the swap in...all the stuff that came w/ the h22a stayed on it..minus the slave cylinder..
      JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

Originally posted by howard20653
        My H22 ran rich when i first got it, the shop made a mistake and put the F22 injecters in it when they changed the fuel rail.

now that wouldnt run rich, that would run like shit.
        H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

It was lean not rich now that i think about it,burned up 2 high flow catalytic converters before i found out what it was.
          Originally posted by phatdoughnut
          now that wouldnt run rich, that would run like shit.

Comment

ouch...imma do another update tonight...going to replace some ignition stuff...keep a lookout!!
            JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

dude you need a difference ecu, dont go throwing money down the drain... take it back to the motor shop you get the swap from and tell them to give you another.

Comment

imma call them when i get off work and see if they'll swap for me...and read up top mang...the rotor and cap were corroded...i need to replace those anyways..
                JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

that doesnt make you redline at 6.5 tho, that would make you run like shit and it prob would get shitty spark.

Comment

i spoke w/ mayberry last night..imma check my grounds again on that one...i'm still gonna call the place i got the engine if my grounds are good...cause then i know it'll be the ecu..mayberry said that if my ecu ground wasn't good then it may cause it to limit there...i also don't have the pressure switch wired...vafc tells you to wire that to vafc and not back to ecu..i unplugged vafc, so i need to rewire that...
                    JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

updated 4/2/05
                      JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

updated 4/4/05
                        JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

are you throwing any codes??
                          2000 Nissan Sentra
                          I/H/MM/Eibach sportlines/Audi A6 HID/2 jbl 12's and interior speakers some other goodies.. trying to sell for CB7
                          1987 BMW E30 mmm... turbo not running

Comment

nope...dunno why..but i'm not...
                            JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

buying the ngk blues, some oem replacement plugs, and oem 90 accord cap and rotor online today...
                              JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

Working...
                              X