Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

F20A+F22B1/F23A1 SOHC VTEC hybrid q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F20A+F22B1/F23A1 SOHC VTEC hybrid q's

I want to build a SOHC-VTEC hybrid with an F20A block+bottom end and either a B1 or F23A1 VTEC head. The F20A's redline is only 6400 though, which isn't far from the regular 6300 on 'lesser' F22's. However the stroke is a lot shorter, shorter than the almighty H22's even, which makes the F20 a pretty square motor. My questions are basically whether or not the F20A's bottom end is the same as the F20B's, how high could I rev the F20A's bottom end, and whether or not I should just go turbo, as a non-intercooled kit for the F is now 1900...thoughts?

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

i was thinking along the same line as you....
    except I'm thinking an intercooled system.

oh and a block guard....

Centre PA SCCA

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7
      85 x 88 stroke for the f20a (same as f20b with a weaker crank, rods and pistons)

87 x 90.7 for the h22a....they're really about "as square" as the other......

and the bottom end should be closed on the f20a too, so no need for a blockguard (they decrease the cooling capacity of a motor anyway and are really a cheap "sorta fix")

i would imagine that it could rev to 7000rpm or so (regular basis)as long as the head could take it, but it's not an f20b ......completely different motors in every aspect except the bore x stroke.....the f20b was designed with racing in mind whereas the f20a was designed for the same reasons our f22's were......adequate power, long life, smooth and reliable.....stronger rods/crank and maybe a nice blueprint/balance and you could probably take advantage of the shorter stroke....
      Interesting, interesting...I was hoping the a would just be a sohc non-VTEC b, but I guess not. Thanks for clearing that up...it looks like I'm either just gonna do a B1 or F23A1 swap+monster high-rpm cams and new exhaust cams, or I'll just go turbo....

BTW, there's a $1900 legit kit available now, although I know people have made homemade kits for about 1/2 of that. Just thought people would want to know.

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
      X