Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Euro type R or Type-S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro type R or Type-S

I was wondering what engine should i get... i know both have 220 hp...would it be better to get the euro type R or the Type-S or just get a plain old h22a...sorry im new to engines but i think it would be cheaper to upgrade my cb7 rather than get a new car....and a vtec 2 liter engine sounds good...can anybody give advice on why i shoud roll with a type r or type -s any input would be valuable..thanks your input will lead to a sweet cb7 in the future

umm i think both those are obd2...im just guessing cause when i was looking for motors (still am the type R's and S's were both obd2 but they may have been only where i was looking so im not sure....a plain old h22 will be mighty fine though....hmotorsonline

Comment

yea the are both odb2 i think, don't quote me, but i think they are. good luck, i'd go with an h22.
      Boosted H22...Underway....Getting parts, and gaining knowledge....first thing to do is diy body work, and paint....H22 Swap should be doen by the end of this month if all goes right...

Comment

id go with the type s. but the euro r did come out of an accord.

Comment

Both motors are very good but cost too much for me. but if you got the cash then go for it. type-r has a little less hp and tq than the type s i think. But I know the type r has a slightly higher CR than the "S" giving it a higher rev limit i think but you pay for it at low end with the torque. And they both are obd-2 motors so you will have to change some things in order for them to work properly. just get a good ol' h22 and with some mild mods you will be up there power wise
          "The Fresh One"

Comment

After reading a few post i got confused. When we say the Type-S motor that refers to the Red Valve covered H22a that comes with 220bhp and 162lb-ft of torque. The Type-R motor then is the F20B? Or is it the H23A Blue top Vtec? If its the Blue top Vtec then I would go with that one. But, I am not sure which Type-R motor we are looking at. I am judging from the 93EXaestheic's sig that this an Accord Euro-R motor which is the H23A. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. But if this is between the F20B and H22A Type-S, I would go with the Type S.

Comment

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
              After reading a few post i got confused. When we say the Type-S motor that refers to the Red Valve covered H22a that comes with 220bhp and 162lb-ft of torque. The Type-R motor then is the F20B? Or is it the H23A Blue top Vtec? If its the Blue top Vtec then I would go with that one. But, I am not sure which Type-R motor we are looking at. I am judging from the 93EXaestheic's sig that this an Accord Euro-R motor which is the H23A. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. But if this is between the F20B and H22A Type-S, I would go with the Type S.

Type-S= Prelude H22A
              Type-R=Accord H22A
              H23 VTEC is garbage for what its worth. Only came in Accord Wagons and is not a Performance VTEC motor. VTEC in that motor works the same as single came VTEC motors.
              Both a waste of money for the price. Buy A regular H22 and use the extra money to build it up.
              Last edited by cb7-R; 08-24-2005, 03:43 PM.
              FS: BNIB MFactory FD $650, PM me.

Comment

Okay...here goes....ALL CB7's (90-93 accords) are OBD 1!

H22A type S....220hp 163tq...prelude DOHC VTEC OBD2
                H22A euro R....220hp 163tq...Accord DOHC VTEC OBD2
                H23A DOHC VTEC Blue top....220hp 163tq Accord wagon OBD2
                H23 92-96 Prelude 160hp...156tq DOHC non-VTEC OBD1
                H22A 92-96 Prelude 200hp 161tq DOHC VTEC OBD1
                F20B Blue top 98-01 Accord SIR-T 200hp 145tq DOHC VTEC OBD2

All of these swaps are possable with the right amount of time and patitence....the oBD2 engines require you to change a few plugs on the OBD1 wire harness, you also need to change the injectors, fuel rail, and a couple other small things...the only issue that I cannot help out with are the ECU changes...I have no idea how you would get an OBD2 ECU to work in the OBD1 platform....my friend and I got an F20B with a euro R intake manifold to work perfectly in his 92 accord ex....the only thing we did differently was use just a plain P13 obd1 H22A ecu...I think all of these engines minus the h23 would run on this ecu just fine, all you would have to do is have the rev limit bumped to the engines specs, so you can get the full power potential out of the engine....theres my 2 cents hope it came of some help to ya.....oh and all H series DOHC VTEC's engage into VTEC the same....there should be no difference between the euro r and the H23A...VTEC wise that is...
                1991 Honda Accord Ex
                Pics of the beast!

::::198.4 WHP and 146.6 WTQ Currently weighing in at 2700lbs...best time: 14.8@92mph::::

2003 BMW 330I Sport.....Daily Hustler....

Road Race #1
                Totoro Squad #2

Comment

I'd just go with the good ol' JDM H22A. Good power, and with some basic bolt ons, you can easily make more than 220
                  Originally posted by DoctorCipher
                  ...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by InvaderTrax
                    I'd just go with the good ol' JDM H22A. Good power, and with some basic bolt ons, you can easily make more than 220
                    I hope your not talkin about whp.....plus doesn't he want a euro r or type s??? LEt him be different and offer him helpful advice instead of everyone telling him to get an h22a.....everyone has one of those now.....even me!
                    Last edited by 91hybridaccord; 08-24-2005, 05:00 PM.
                    1991 Honda Accord Ex
                    Pics of the beast!

::::198.4 WHP and 146.6 WTQ Currently weighing in at 2700lbs...best time: 14.8@92mph::::

Road Race #1
                    Totoro Squad #2

Comment

Originally posted by cb7-R
                      Type-S= Prelude H22A
                      Type-R=Accord H22A
                      H23 VTEC is garbage for what its worth. Only came in Accord Wagons and is not a Performance VTEC motor. VTEC in that motor works the same as single came VTEC motors.
                      Both a waste of money for the price. Buy A regular H22 and use the extra money to build it up.
                      Wouldn't an ECU swap change the characteristics of the H23 Blue top? It has some pretty good perfomance numbers to not be a performance VTEC motor.

Comment

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
                        Wouldn't an ECU swap change the characteristics of the H23 Blue top? It has some pretty good perfomance numbers to not be a performance VTEC motor.
                        Its the same as any other dohc vtec motor...it IS a performance motor....why would honda even bother making it a DOHC VTEC engine if all its going to do is act like a single cam vtec?? BS IMO.....
                        1991 Honda Accord Ex
                        Pics of the beast!

Road Race #1
                        Totoro Squad #2

Comment

Originally posted by 91hybridaccord
                          Its the same as any other dohc vtec motor...it IS a performance motor....why would honda even bother making it a DOHC VTEC engine if all its going to do is act like a single cam vtec?? BS IMO.....
                          Exactly, if one was going for about 2gs or less i would go with that one. Personally, I feel that the H22 is too common these days. H23 Vtec is something different. It also has more torque than the other VTEC choices.

91Hybridaccord PM me your tires/wheel, suspension, clutch setup. 2.53 60 foot times are a

Comment

Originally posted by 91hybridaccord

And youre entitled to that. However the H23 only has VTEC on the intake cam. There is no exhaust VTEC. And that VTEC is there to help improve fuel effiecny and has nothing to do with performance. It DID NOT come with 220hp. It was rated at 197hp with a 10.6:1 c/r and and a 95mm stroke. It was ONLY available with Autuomatic transmissions.
                            Last edited by cb7-R; 08-25-2005, 03:38 AM.
                            FS: BNIB MFactory FD $650, PM me.

Comment

i agree with the majority, just get a base jdm h22. with just a set of cams you can be close to 200whp... or 230's at the crank.

Comment

Working...
                              X