Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Anyone think this is possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone think this is possible?

ok, may soundstupid but i dont know much, so lets see what people come up with:

an f22a block, with an h22a head on it..

or hell, even the f22a block to any dohc head..

sounds crazy to me, but what do you guys think?
    92 lx
    automatic
    slow

but its clean!..kinda

too crazy...rather swap as a whole.

i seen a f22b sohc on a f22a motor.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

it just seemed to me like it wouldn't be possible, kinda how you cant interchange your stuff between d series and b series motors. however, it seems like there are more similarities between f and h series than between d and b's.

but looking at ls/vtec being a weird ass setup(good setup though) it seems like anything is possible.
      92 lx
      automatic
      slow

but its clean!..kinda

Comment

it is possible actually. The lines match up but the bores don't sometimes in the h22's case. Its really not worth the gain tho because of all the stuff you'd have to nit-pick from the h22 motor. You'll need things like the ecu, different timing belt, various sensors, oil lines plugged...by the time your done you will have spent more than the h22 itself...worth a shot tho
        Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

if done correctly tho and if the f22 is build to handle the high revving characteristics of the h22 head then yea it could put out some wicked numbers...but its not a simple route to go if your on any kind of a budget. If i had alot of money, extra time and the skills then yea i might give it a try on a seperate car...but i don't have all that

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

If you really want a 2.2 liter DOHC VTEC motor, then I think it's best just to get an H22. If our F-Series motors were available in 2.4 or 2.5 liter versions, I think it would be a very worthwhile swap (although probably bore spacing would be further apart to allow for more displacement, which would then make the swap impossible... d'oh!!!). But if it was, you wouldn't have to turn the motor up to 7K+ just to see any power gains and you'd probably see really good power.
            -Ryan-

My life is rated R.

Comment

Originally posted by 90Accord-R
              If you really want a 2.2 liter DOHC VTEC motor, then I think it's best just to get an H22. If our F-Series motors were available in 2.4 or 2.5 liter versions, I think it would be a very worthwhile swap (although probably bore spacing would be further apart to allow for more displacement, which would then make the swap impossible... d'oh!!!). But if it was, you wouldn't have to turn the motor up to 7K+ just to see any power gains and you'd probably see really good power.

Eh... a 2.0 liter DOHC along the lines of an F20A DOHC would probably be better than a 2.4-2.5... the increase in displacement would only bring the redline down...

IMO a 2.1 liter sohc F is perfect.... heh heh.....
              RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

Originally posted by NoScreenName
                the increase in displacement would only bring the redline down...
                Exactly... that's what I was hoping to get accross. See, if our motors were larger displacement, putting a higher flowing head, that's geared toward higher rpm use, would be great, beacuse you'd see a gain in power, but would not have to balance the motor to 7500+ rpm... So going through all the hassle of putting an H22 head on a SOHC block would be worth it....

I was just trying to state a theoretical situation...
                -Ryan-

My life is rated R.

Comment

wow, im surprised that this turned out so much response... in case anybody was wondering, im not planning to try this project by any means. it just was on my mind. i would prolly go with an h22a swap if i were to do it at all, but i dont make enough money to do major mods to my car. i work at taco bell and only get like 10 hours a week. but im in high school so i make enough to pay for my car and insurance and stuff so i cant complain, and occasionally i have saved enough for a bolt on
                  . cant hurt to learn as much as possible though right?

anyways thanx for checking out the thread
                  92 lx
                  automatic
                  slow

but its clean!..kinda

Comment

no prob...i actually know a guy who's gonna swap some h22 parts on a f22b2 because he knows how to weld and is pretty skillful in other areas it seems.

Comment

actually, increasing the bore wont hurt the redline what so ever. increasing the displacement by stroking the engine and creating an even less favorable r/s ratio will indeed decrease the "redline". redline though is a pretty broad term and we should really be talking about effective powerband and where it starts to fall off.
                      '91ex coupe, modified.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP0JsF__KzA

@ConaireSmith on twitter

Comment

actually, increasing the bore wont hurt the redline what so ever. increasing the displacement by stroking the engine and creating an even less favorable r/s ratio will indeed decrease the "redline". redline though is a pretty broad term and we should really be talking about effective powerband and where it starts to fall off
                        This is true... the "redline" is pretty broad when you relate it to r/s ratio too, look at most of Honda's motors, they have technically "worse" r/s ratios compared to say an old 327 Chevy, or a 340 Mopar, but you can't turn a stock 340 to 7500 rpm!!! Not without some serious damage anyway...
                        -Ryan-

My life is rated R.

Comment

Originally posted by 90Accord-R
                          This is true... the "redline" is pretty broad when you relate it to r/s ratio too, look at most of Honda's motors, they have technically "worse" r/s ratios compared to say an old 327 Chevy, or a 340 Mopar, but you can't turn a stock 340 to 7500 rpm!!! Not without some serious damage anyway...
                          they may have better r/s ratio than some Hondas but those are "V" engines and not inline like most Hondas. V engines are constantly pulling against themselves and the higher the RPM, the higher the stress level.
                          '91ex coupe, modified.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP0JsF__KzA

@ConaireSmith on twitter

Comment

Originally posted by kentucky accord
                            actually, increasing the bore wont hurt the redline what so ever. increasing the displacement by stroking the engine and creating an even less favorable r/s ratio will indeed decrease the "redline". redline though is a pretty broad term and we should really be talking about effective powerband and where it starts to fall off.
                            You are correct sir...

For some reason when i posted that I wasn't even considering a larger bore only the thought of a longer stroke was on my mind...only due to the mention of a 2.5 liter... It'd be interesting to see the massive slugs required to get it up to that without stroking...

but I also had in mind a Subaru boxer type engine for some reason...probably just because of the 2.4-2.5 liter reference that was made...

Gotta love those flat four or flat six VW/porsche engines though... massive bores and long ass strokes are possible...with displacements up to 2.8-3.0 on the fours and I'm not all that familiar with the Porsche flat sixes....but still worthy of mention since slightly less efficient V configured engines were mentioned...true torque monsters are boxers IMO...
                            RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

Working...
                            X