Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

flywheel questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flywheel questions

O.K Im looking to buy a lightened flywheel, i was told if its to light my car might die out at times
    Im looking towards act streetlight or prolight
    What do you guys have?
    how does it run?
    ACCORDEX92
    CHICAGO,IL

H22A ACCORD

That's BS. You car will run better with a light flywheel. Less stress on the engine. Idle will be a little smoother, and you'll notice a good ~10whp increase

Also, I've got the ACT streetlight. How much are you paying? I got mine for $165 after tax
    Originally posted by DoctorCipher
    ...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.

Comment

yea i'm runnin an XACT streetlight as well... love it compared to stock... theres only about a 3lb difference between the street and prolight so i figured go for a lil better driveability and not worry about a mere few lbs.... in terms of stalling, thats really only assiciated with lighter flywheelz cause since they are light, they have less rotational inertia, therefore would drop revs faster than stock, so its EASIER to stall while accelerating, but it will never cause the car to die unexpectedly just idling... but once you get used to it, like a few days or less, you wont have any issues... and i wouldnt say anymore than 5 or 6whp difference.... its just more responsive, thats why it might seem like its a major boost in power...

Comment

Originally posted by InvaderTrax
        That's BS. You car will run better with a light flywheel. Less stress on the engine. Idle will be a little smoother, and you'll notice a good ~10whp increase

Also, I've got the ACT streetlight. How much are you paying? I got mine for $165 after tax
        where did you get yours?
        they want $260. over here
        ACCORDEX92
        CHICAGO,IL

H22A ACCORD

Comment

Originally posted by ChroNicBoosT
          yea i'm runnin an XACT streetlight as well... love it compared to stock... theres only about a 3lb difference between the street and prolight so i figured go for a lil better driveability and not worry about a mere few lbs.... in terms of stalling, thats really only assiciated with lighter flywheelz cause since they are light, they have less rotational inertia, therefore would drop revs faster than stock, so its EASIER to stall while accelerating, but it will never cause the car to die unexpectedly just idling... but once you get used to it, like a few days or less, you wont have any issues... and i wouldnt say anymore than 5 or 6whp difference.... its just more responsive, thats why it might seem like its a major boost in power...
          thanks for the info...
          thats what i was told.. Looks like im going streetlight
          THANKS AGAIN
          ACCORDEX92
          CHICAGO,IL

H22A ACCORD

Comment

Originally posted by InvaderTrax
            and you'll notice a good ~10whp increase
            You will not get 10 hp out of your engine for putting in a lighter flywheel. If you can explain how you get HP from a flywheel then please do so?

A lighter flywheel simply means there is less un-sprung weight on your engine to rotate. This means your engine will rev quicker, AND conversely slow down quicker. The formula for the inertia stored in the flywheel (taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel_energy_storage) is this:

Where
            I = the moment of inertia of the mass about the center of rotation.
            w = the angular velocity in radians.
            From reading this it looks like it explains how the “lighter flywheel makes for quicker reving” works by explaining there is less mass to be spun, and also that there is less mass to decellerate. Is this right, techno-whizzes?
            It also helps in turning. Pretend you are driving a slolam. That is several cones set up in a line, spaced apart and you weave in and out of the cones. The engine carries less inercia through the turn because it will slow down very quickly when you let off the gas at the apex the car will rotate quicker, making it more nimble and turn-ins quicker.
            I have a Chromoly 12.5 lbs flywheel and I love it. If anything I want the 8lb flywheel, but chose the 12.5 at the time because I was afraid of having driving issues that I had read about on this forum.
            Go lighter. You will not be dissapointed, unless your just into looks and don’t care, or know, how to drive your own damn car! :-D If your just into bondo and body kits then you probably don’t really want a light flywheel, just keep your stock 20lb unit and be happy. But for me, I like my 12.5lb piece that revs fast as poo! If I step on the gas with the car in “neutral” I get a quick and exciting “rrrrRAAAM!”!!
            These are my .o2.

- Zipcreature
            Awesome!

CB7. F22A. 5spd. CB7. Exedy. Chromoly. AEM. DCSports. Apexi. Progress Group. AGX. Suspension Techniques. Viberant. Goodridge. Facebook

Comment

Zip you said you got a chromoly flywheel is that a no name flywheel? cause i see them on ebay for $150.without clutch and $250. with exedy clutch
              and how long have you had that flywheel
              the reason i ask is cause i drive my car hard at times and i dont want that flywheel to break
              ACCORDEX92
              CHICAGO,IL

H22A ACCORD

Comment

Originally posted by ACCORDEX92
                Zip you said you got a chromoly flywheel is that a no name flywheel? cause i see them on ebay for $150.without clutch and $250. with exedy clutch
                and how long have you had that flywheel
                the reason i ask is cause i drive my car hard at times and i dont want that flywheel to break
                yea, i got mine off ebay, i think it was the same "chromoly flywheel"
                it even have the tick marks for the timing
                ill let you know how it is when i pair it with my exedy oem clutch.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Exedy Heavy Duty Pressure Plate with Full Faced Organic Disc with ACT XACT Lightweight Chromoly Racing Flywheel.

36% Torque Increase.
                  12.5lb flywheel.

http://www.clutchcityonline.com/Exed...nda_Accord.htm

- Zipcreature
                  Awesome!

CB7. F22A. 5spd. CB7. Exedy. Chromoly. AEM. DCSports. Apexi. Progress Group. AGX. Suspension Techniques. Viberant. Goodridge. Facebook

Comment

I Have an 8lb Flywheel

Best way i can say it is ,

Ever have to shit and cant get there quick enough and your holding ur ass together and cant really walk or run a full stride ,,,, well thats my car before 8lb flywheel and stage 1 clutch

Now it feels like it has dropped its shit and lost some weight and can run full strides again without pinching its cheeks ,,,

Hope this explains it well enough for you ,, Bottom Line its a good MOD
                    Shows Much Improvements For Me Anyways

L8ter
                    -Sean- Noxidea
                    Fore Sale" My Ride "Best Time To Date 14.9 @ 94 MPH ...

Comment

Interesting Comparison

LOL at comparison but I'm that it puts it into perspective so everyone can understand. I'm looking into getting a Fidanza flywheel off ebay...Anyone have an opinion on them?
                      I look...You look
                      I rev...You rev
                      I win...You lose

vspooled

Comment

Originally posted by zipcreature
                        You will not get 10 hp out of your engine for putting in a lighter flywheel. If you can explain how you get HP from a flywheel then please do so?

A lighter flywheel simply means there is less un-sprung weight on your engine to rotate. This means your engine will rev quicker, AND conversely slow down quicker. The formula for the inertia stored in the flywheel (taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel_energy_storage) is this:

Where
                        I = the moment of inertia of the mass about the center of rotation.
                        w = the angular velocity in radians.
                        From reading this it looks like it explains how the “lighter flywheel makes for quicker reving” works by explaining there is less mass to be spun, and also that there is less mass to decellerate. Is this right, techno-whizzes?
                        It also helps in turning. Pretend you are driving a slolam. That is several cones set up in a line, spaced apart and you weave in and out of the cones. The engine carries less inercia through the turn because it will slow down very quickly when you let off the gas at the apex the car will rotate quicker, making it more nimble and turn-ins quicker.
                        I have a Chromoly 12.5 lbs flywheel and I love it. If anything I want the 8lb flywheel, but chose the 12.5 at the time because I was afraid of having driving issues that I had read about on this forum.
                        Go lighter. You will not be dissapointed, unless your just into looks and don’t care, or know, how to drive your own damn car! :-D If your just into bondo and body kits then you probably don’t really want a light flywheel, just keep your stock 20lb unit and be happy. But for me, I like my 12.5lb piece that revs fast as poo! If I step on the gas with the car in “neutral” I get a quick and exciting “rrrrRAAAM!”!!
                        These are my .o2.

- Zipcreature
                        Bingo!

My only addition is that what he means by driveablitly is that you have to rev a little higher (from what I'm told) to get off the line.
                        2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
                        JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
                        My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

Comment

Originally posted by zipcreature
                          Well, it doesn't make horsepower, it releases torque from having to spin up a heavy flywheel. More available torque is *good*.

Luckily, horsepower and torque are related as such:
                          HP=(torque*RPM)/5252
                          Ergo, horsepower from flywheels.

Lighter wheels will do the same thing, measurable higher HP on a dyno....quicker in the quarter *even if you ballast the car back to initial mass*

Remember, horsepower isn't measuring gas burning, it's measuring how fast you are spinning up that shaft or wheel.
                          2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
                          Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
                          1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Horribly O/T but I am wondering about the comment made about freeing up torque?
                            I've never take a physics class, so I can't argue with you about technical terms such as your spinning shaft. I have a honest question, not a challange to what you said though.
                            The question is this: If you take a car with stock rims and run it on a dyno, then swap on some lighter rims we are going to dyno more power? Is this what your saying?
                            I'm confused basically about how taking away weight makes my car make more power, because my car is faster when it is stripped out of interior, but not because of the engine making more power. The car simply weights less, so the engine has less to haul around. But I still have the same 140hp.

???

- Zipcreature
                            Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by noxidea
                              I Have an 8lb Flywheel

Best way i can say it is ,

Ever have to shit and cant get there quick enough and your holding ur ass together and cant really walk or run a full stride ,,,, well thats my car before 8lb flywheel and stage 1 clutch

Now it feels like it has dropped its shit and lost some weight and can run full strides again without pinching its cheeks ,,,

Hope this explains it well enough for you ,, Bottom Line its a good MOD
                              Shows Much Improvements For Me Anyways

L8ter
                              -Sean- Noxidea
                              LOL THATS FUNNY AS HELL, GOOD WAY TO PUT IT
                              ACCORDEX92
                              CHICAGO,IL

H22A ACCORD

Comment

Working...
                              X