Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

another iab thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another iab thread

Ok, my iab solenoid is cracked, so i am using the intake air control box and solenoid... now since that solenoid works reverse than the iab solenoid, i am using a spdt relay to make the solenoid work reverse.
    I understand that the black/yellow wire comes from the eld and it supplys batt voltage.... the pink/blue wire is the switched ground from the ecu...
    Now my relay setup is perfect, but herein lies the problem..... the pink/blue wire doesnt supply a ground above 4800 like it should.... with the key on engine off, there is a path to ground, turn the car on and it goes down to .1-.5 volts (kinda odd) and above 4800 goes up to around .8 volts..... what i dont understand is why it doesnt go up to battery voltage... My ecu works fine (as far as I know, no codes, no driveability problems) does anyone know what the problem can be?

IAB solenoid... is that the black box?

All you need to operate the IAB's is the mushroom type deal. Hook the vacuum line straight off of that to an open vacuum nipple on the TB and you will have working ITB's again. The box and all the extra crap is for emissions.

Comment

nah man, the box keeps them closed to 4800, without it they would open as soon as you go wot , it doesnt have anything to do with emissions...
      Any ecu gurus wanna chime in on this?

Comment

Eh I would help if I could, help me understand...

basically you are recieving the 12v's, but the ecu is not grounding at the prescribed rpm's?

I am working on my IAB setup later today, too bad you're not in S FLA, we could both solve our issues....

I have a "how to check" for the IAB's on my other computer, I'll see if I can post it a bit later.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
        where you been, is something wrong?
        i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
          Eh I would help if I could, help me understand...

basically you are recieving the 12v's, but the ecu is not grounding at the prescribed rpm's?

I am working on my IAB setup later today, too bad you're not in S FLA, we could both solve our issues....

I have a "how to check" for the IAB's on my other computer, I'll see if I can post it a bit later.
          Exactly!!! Whats weird is, with key on engine off, there is a ground, but i turn the car on, and it isnt 0 volts, its like, .1 then i rev to 4800 and it goes up to like .8 and never goes any higher even if i rev all the way..... its not supplying the full ground or something

Comment

I discovered that my ecu was bad. I opened it just for the heck of it and found a capacitor was burned out. I don't know when it happened, I'd only had it for 2 weeks. If I can find a replacement cap. (# is written on it) I will replace it, b/c other than that it looks beautiful.

I never threw a code with this ecu though...and it ran like normal, so other than iab's not engaging I had no reason to think it was bad.

Comment

How exactly did you wire up the relay? I have the air contol box solenoid on there too and it dosent work how its hooked up right now.

Comment

WHen i got my motor i didnt have a box....There was a nipple for vaccuum on it and i tapped it into the IM. Plus when i looked at mine there was a diaphragm there that looked vaccuum operated so yea.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                I piss off people for fun.
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                  When i got my motor i didn't have a box....There was a nipple for vacuum on it and i tapped it into the IM. Plus when i looked at mine there was a diaphragm there that looked vacuum operated so yea.
                  I had mines hooked up straight to the vacuum but I never got it to work right or open at the right rpm with just the vacuum. That's why the vacuum reservoir and solenoid are there.

Comment

Most people are satisfied with straight vacuum hookup. Some people aren't. I consider it a temporary solution at best.

Here is a section from the Honda service manual about the IAB's and how to test them. I scaled it down, so if it's illegible I can send you a higher res version.

Comment

You could always rig it open. Or if you want to go another route...rig the spring inside the diaphragm since thats what it looks like whats inside it. Id have to take a good look tomorrow at it again.

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      I piss off people for fun.
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

definitely I wanna learn most about this too aswell.

Comment

Alright I made a quick wiring diagram of how I did the relay....
                          Basically since the iab solenoid supplies a vacuum with no voltage and turns the vacuum off with the voltage.... But our intake air control solenoid does the complete opposite, no vacuum with power off and vacuum with power on, I used this SPDT normally closed relay to basically reverse the polarity of the setup...

I spliced into all these wires right where the engine harness plugs into the intermediate harness on the passenger strut tower... I spliced into the black/yellow wire that is the power for the solenoid for the +12v switched...

Any questions lemme know...
                          I currently have it wired to a switch, kinda funny switching it while driving, I want to be able to get this ecu to do it, but if not im assuming i need to get a new one?

Comment

I believe the JDM B18C also uses a reverse signal like you describe (GND instead of +12v).. Thats what I remember reading on PGMFI. Actually have you checked this page: http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Library/AddIABToP28
                            might find your answer there.

hold on to your butts

Comment

Working...
                            X