Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Can You Cut Our Shifters??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can You Cut Our Shifters??

Can you cut our shifters down to shorten them and use the diy short shift setup. I know i would have to re thread the to of the shifter for the knob, but is it possible to do this for looks??
    Arcadia Green Crew Member #9

Hell yes, and it is easy as hell. Simply take a hacksaw and finish it off with a dremel w/ buff pad for the rim. You wouldn't have to rethread the knob if it comes with a plastic fitter piece. I did this with my '89 Accord and it worked about as good as a real short shifter (minus the difference in the linkage).

generic short-ram
    generic strut tower bar
    hid bulbs all around
    amber bumper + clear corners (soon to be amber)

Comment

I'm telling you, it will work if done right. You will have to cut off a bit, but if you aren't worried about perm-cutting your shifter, this is a great way to shorten your shifts (you WILL notice the difference immediately).

generic short-ram
      generic strut tower bar
      hid bulbs all around
      amber bumper + clear corners (soon to be amber)

Comment

on a 91-93 accord you can unbolt the shifter bucket and rebolt it on underneath by using longer bolts (click here), then add a DIY short shifter bracket (first pic: click here). itll look like HondaFan81's (bottom pic)

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by yeamans17
          actually this will work for the 90 as well, the difference in the 90 shifter is the mounting bracket on the shifter, it uses the cotter pin instead of the threaded stud, and since your using a bolt to replace the stud on the shifter it turns out all the same in the end. it just wont work if you buy a short shifter bracket
          isnt one of the shifters have an all-plastic base? or is that the 92 prelude? i know one of them is, i thought it was the 90. well then good news, this will work for anybody

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Well what i did, if you have access to a welder, is cut the shaft about 4.5" but still kep the little reverse kickback so she sits in the center of the box, and rewelded that bitch in place. Then cut the upper cable mount off, and rewelded her about 1-1.5" higher to shorten the throw a total of 3.5" as well. Max throw from 3rd to 4th is only 4" now from 7.5" or so. same day i did it, she felt like a new car. I was amazed and how different she felt with such a minimal change. And she only cost about $5 total with the price of the small amount of MIG wire and cutoff wheel. and took about 1hr while we working on other shit at the same time.

Comment

Working...
            X