Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

air filter fit directly to the intake manifold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air filter fit directly to the intake manifold?

ok, this might be a dumb question, so be easy guys. Has anyone try fitting the cone type filter (aem, k&n etc.) directly onto the intake manifold without the intake pipe.Is there enough space? Is this bad in anyways? if not what are the benefits?

I have seen it done. There are vacuum lines around there, but it is possible.

Comment

Its been done. I see no benefit. Car might be louder but yea. Its still located in the engine bay but in the back so dunno. Dyno test it before and after and see what you get lol. But IMO still no difference.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

cut a hole in the firewall and run an open pipe to the cabin

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
        "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
        "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
          cut a hole in the firewall and run an open pipe to the cabin
          haha that would be a first lol put it next to the AC vent so you get that "cold air" =P

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Hahaha, that would be great! Yeah, I don't really see a point in doing it because you're not really benefitting from anything, but it's worth a shot I guess, just for shits and giggles.
            Always remember that only you can make your dreams a reality.

Never forget that your style is all that matters when it comes to your ride, but be respectful to others who don't share your vision.

Proud Alum of the University of Texas at Tyler, Class of 2010

Comment

It is my personal opinion that this would actually be a very very bad idea...mostly due to extremely high intake temperatures, this may actually cause detontation. Just my $0.02

-Kyle
              SOHC Non-VTEC F-series for life

"It is the fools prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak."
              -Morpheus (The Sandman)

Comment

tried it... and it doesnt work that well believe me
                Upgrade your mind before you upgrade your car

"So. Cal OUTLAWZ "

Comment

That would be the ultimate "hot air-intake". Unless maybe if you made a functional Soobie style hood scoop.

My CB7 is now ***FOR SALE***

Comment

doing that also reduces the length of the intake tract causing a loss in torque, mostly in the midrange and low end.

Comment

Originally posted by v4lu3s
                      doing that also reduces the length of the intake tract causing a loss in torque, mostly in the midrange and low end.
                      id think the smaller the intake tubing the more low end torque

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

above all else, it just looks like you were too cheap to buy piping.

Comment

Originally posted by k-mart
                          above all else, it just looks like you were too cheap to buy piping.
                          exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike
                            id think the smaller the intake tubing the more low end torque

a long intake tract enhances torque, that is why cold air intakes have a big hump of power in the mid range. losing the length of tubing hurts in normal driving.

Comment

sri has a shorter tubing and has better low end torque but has less torque gain in the mid/high end compared to the cai

cai has a longer tubing and has better mid/high end torque but has a less torque gain in the low end compared to the sri

flow velocity plays a role in the design of intakes. when a car is moving, the cai draws cooler air into the engine (cooler air = more gain vs hotter air) hence the reason why there are more gains for a cai in the mid to upper range

having no intake pipe would not yield any performance gain compared to a sri or a cai, it might even get you worst performance. you will get poor flow velocity as well as flow quality

Comment

Working...
                              X