Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

What clutches you ladies and gents running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What clutches you ladies and gents running?

Well, as the title implies, i think i am going to be in the market for a new clutch in the near future. I just dont think my stage 3 6 puck has too much life left in her , so i just wanted to know what you peeps are running in your cars. I need something that can hold between 300-400 whp, and i would perfer to buy something that can hold closer to 400 just so i have room to expand (it is a fully built engine). I would perfer to get something that i can use a stock (un-milled) flywheel with (because i have a resurfaced one in my basement) but if i must go either milled or lightened flywheel then so be it. What are the beni's of a lightened flywheel anyway? Work well with boosted?
    Also, this car is currently my daily driver, so I'm thinking a sprung PP would be the way to go just to keep some drive-ability...but please gimme your .02...Anyways...back on topic~

So if you guys could post:
    what brand?
    how much?
    stock flywheel?
    Drive-ability?
    Any slippage problems?
    Any installation problems?
    Personal rating (out of 10, 10 being the highest)?

thanks guys i really appreciate it!
    Justin
    My baby laying down some power...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_Q8HSIyqA

stock duralast. brand new. i wasted 118 on it and its sitting in my engine thats going nowhere bleh

Comment

what brand? ACT HDSS holds 356 tq 6puck unsprung
      how much? $285-300 shipped i think it was
      stock flywheel? 8.8lb fidanza
      Drive-ability? decent takes off easier if i start releasing the clutch above 2500rpms
      Any slippage problems? none yet
      Any installation problems? none
      Personal rating (out of 10, 10 being the highest)? 7-8 i guess. I should have gotten a stronger pressure plate cause this thing feels just a little stronger than stock...either that or i'm Heman now.
      Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

hahaha thanks for the write up MRX...so for your 285-300 shipped, was that just the disk and PP or did it include to 8.8lb?

Comment

just the disk and PP. The flywheel was purchased a while back. Look forward to a new flywheel or resurface when u take the clutch out cause it's probably gonna need it. Oh and the fidanza friction material is replaceable. No need to ever throw out the flywheel

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

The flywheel i am currently running with my 6 puck was milled for the disk im running. I have a stock resurfaced flywheel in my basement that i will be running with this clutch if i can...what are the benifits or running a lighter wheel? Im assuming it revs faster, but whats so special about them? Also what are the cons of em?

Comment

XTD Stage 3 =you can find on ebay
              STock h22 flywheel.
              driveability is good as long as you break it in right
              No slipping so far
              Installation like any other clutch but I recommend an OEM Throwout bearing to go with the clutch.
              7 out of 10 since I havent taken it to the track to abuse it yet only on the street lol.

But if you have the money centerforce and ACT are good companies.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

ACT Sprung Hub 6 puck
                Like 300 or so shipped
                Rated at 356 tq just like antiones

Only got like 450 miles on it before I blew up the motor but it held fine and drove well for that time period.

So far I'd say 7 out of 10, I still liked the feel of my Clutchmasters 4 puck better, the ACT has alot less pedal pressure and "feels" weak.

I'm going to be using it for my engine break in period, then keep turning up the boost until it slips and back it down a bit and run it as long as I can, after that I'm not sure, maybe a twin disc or something?
                Turbo H23a3 build has begun
                01-01-2019

Comment

Originally posted by high c
                  The flywheel i am currently running with my 6 puck was milled for the disk im running. I have a stock resurfaced flywheel in my basement that i will be running with this clutch if i can...what are the benifits or running a lighter wheel? Im assuming it revs faster, but whats so special about them? Also what are the cons of em?

the throttle response is superior. A 4000rpm punch has been described as disneyland in my car lol. The high rev range is light and it seems like the tach flies to redline...to the point i have to pre-emptively shift. The downside is the loss of torque down low of course. Its a little harder to get around cause u have to give it more revs to take off in daily traffic but its nothing unbearable, just harder. Whether a heavy flywheel is better for load on the turbo or not? That could be debated forever.

But i'm personally sticking to my light flywheels.

Comment

Exedy OE replacement style about 50k ago, $105 on eBay! Came with the alignment tool and new throwout bearing. Not a single complaint either.....
                    1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Nothin' but Honda Original Parts....good clutch...relatively forgiving and longlasting if driven normally....not good for drag racing though
                      DEVOTE

Comment

good ol stocker but its dying on me. loose as hell and to bearing is goin too...and i dont have the money for a clutch so im Fd if it goes soon...
                        "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
                        "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
                        Disregard females, acquire currency
                        BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                          XTD Stage 3 =you can find on ebay
                          STock h22 flywheel.
                          driveability is good as long as you break it in right
                          No slipping so far
                          Installation like any other clutch but I recommend an OEM Throwout bearing to go with the clutch.
                          7 out of 10 since I havent taken it to the track to abuse it yet only on the street lol.

But if you have the money centerforce and ACT are good companies.
                          is the h22 the same specs as a f22? Any ideas?

Antoine~ when you say you loose torque down low, why is that? The lighter weight = less cyntrifical force at low rpms = less torque? My engine really doesnt make too much torque but after 4k it is a monster. Is a lighter wheel going to further my never ending search for traction?

Comment

I dont really remember if the flywheels were the same. Size wise yes weight they felt the same I didnt weight them though so not sure.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            I piss off people for fun.
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

act heavyduty street/strip sprung hub disk with 11.5 flywheel steel chromoly

Comment

Working...
                              X