Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

is this a bad idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this a bad idea?

Well since i got my new K&N filter, the plastic cover won't fit over it..so i always had to tape it up, and it finally fell off.
    Well here's how my intake sits now, it doesn't rain much in PA, but is it still a bad idea not to have anything blocking it? Does it help or take away power?
    thanks
    Here are some pics showing its pretty high in the bumper...

My ride RS6 HELLA Bi-xenon ECE retrofitted CB7
    www.maketradefair.com

if you are really worried about it get the bypass valve from aem should help out

LEAVE NO DOUBT!
    If God is for Me
    Who Dares be aganist Me!
    BX Crew
    HSHO # 6
    Lexotic Concepts 019

Comment

but that defeats the purpose of the whole cai gains from what i hear

My ride RS6 HELLA Bi-xenon ECE retrofitted CB7
      www.maketradefair.com

Comment

Originally posted by 97Lude
        but that defeats the purpose of the whole cai gains from what i hear
        nope, not at all. It has little rubber flaps inside that are tightly sealed under normal driving conditions. If you hit a puddle of water or something it creates a vacuum inside the intake and pulls the rubber flaps open. So to answer your question.....no, it does not affect anything.....all it is is cheap insurance. Besides, even if it did take away a hp or two, isn't that better than hydrolocking your engine?
        00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

just dont drive in deep ass puddles and dont have your car sit so low and you should be straight . If you know which areas have deep puddles ride through it with enough speed and keep you foot on the clutch

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
            If you know which areas have deep puddles ride through it with enough speed and keep you foot on the clutch
            It doesn't really matter how careful you are, your engine is still running and still sucking in air.....and it only takes a little bit of water to ruin your engine. How much is a bypass valve....what, like $30-40? How can you go wrong....
            00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

since we are on the subject of bypass valves i don't think this has ever been asked but can you run a bypass valve if you are running nitrous in the intake tube? or does it not matter?
              www.rms-usa.com

Comment

i don't know if this has ever been asked but can you run a bypass valve with the intake if you are running nitrous in the intake tube?
                www.rms-usa.com

Comment

I don't see why it would affect it... would probably want to have the nitrous closer to the throttle body then the bypass valve though. My fender liner fell out like almost 2 years ago and I've had a cai the whole time. for those saying it only takes a little bit of water, the bypass valve won't do anything for a little bit of water. it only opens if the filter is basically completely submerged because there has to be a pressure drop enough for the thing to open. also people inject water into their engines to make power so anyways yea in conclusion I wouldn't worry about it.
                  HSHO #3

Comment

ive had my cai k&n filter exposed to the elements for as long as ivehad it...which is about3 years with no problem yet...i dont think you have much to worry about unless you have to drive through deep puddles or you have to drive into a lake or something...but if you are worried about it just get a bypass vlave for added security...but i have never used one

Originally posted by fizzbob7
                    first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
                    Originally posted by ACC0RD22
                    no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
                    So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

It doesn't take "a little bit of water" to ruin your engine. Your engine can actually withstand a decent bit. There is humidity in the air after all... so it's not like some is going to kill it. If you drive through puddles that are like two feet deep then you have something to worry about. I cut out a little bit where the vents are on the bottom of the car by the filter. I've never had any problems from it.

Comment

It doesn't take "a little bit of water" to ruin your engine. Your engine can actually withstand a decent bit. There is humidity in the air after all... so it's not like some is going to kill it. If you drive through puddles that are like two feet deep then you have something to worry about. I cut out a little bit where the vents are on the bottom of the car by the filter. I've never had any problems from it.

Comment

i ran a bypass valve when i had a car with a cai. im not getting into whether or not it is needed, but i will say that it wont take any power away. and if it does, it could not be more than a horse or maybe even two if that! and people say that eliminates the point of having one at all, i think you got ripped off if your cai wont give more than a 2 horse power gain. picture it this way. look at the ribbed and bent and blcoked up stock airbox and piping. when you make every bit of it smooth as hell(cai)except for abouit 2 inches worth(bypass valve) wouldn't you think it will still flow heavenly amounts better?
                          92 lx
                          automatic
                          slow

but its clean!..kinda

Comment

..i drove like that for 3 years thinking i'll never hit deep water. well thats how i lost my built f22a6 coz of no fender lining.
                            5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                            JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Re: is this a bad idea?

Hmm, you think that filter is any better than the closed version of it. I got my cai like 2 years ago, it came w/o that open ended filter. I wonder if it makes any difference. anyone?
                              My Member's Ride Thread, Comments Welcome!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X