Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

SOHC DIY HEAD port job / Porting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOHC DIY HEAD port job / Porting

Hey guys. So my F22B dohc head was bad after i spun a bearing in that motor. (dont' put a head in with warn cam journals...just a waste of time...the head whines when cold).

Soo, i'm rebuilding an SOHC i had (from ALeks on here...mine had molten cast on it from when i melted a piston on a boost spike on my original motor).

I've done some porting on my own and it's coming out pretty good i think.

I'm not touching the intake runners as there is too much geometry and math in that. I am however doing the "bowls" this is where the machinining edge meets the cast port. there are lips and ledges that can be smoothed. For all heavy cutting i just used a die grinder and carbine oval bit...did all the bowling. The Exhaust was COVERED in tough carbon...soaked in engine gunk stuff, and scraped a lot away with screw driver. rest came off later.

Ok, so after the lips were all gone, i then started with the flap wheel. The carbide leaves a ripply chunky surface. For the intake you want it a bit rough, but not that bad, so i smoothed it out briefly with a small flap wheel. on the intake, i had to lay into the flap wheel to get all the little chunks out.
    It's now silky smooth on the exhaust and i'm awaiting picking up a small cotton wheel and some aluminum polish. You want the exhaust as smooth as possible to avoid carbon build up. i'll also heavily polish the combustion chamber. Same logic applies here...avoid carbon build up spots as well as limit hot spots that can cause detonation.

All the while, be very careful not to hit the valve seals with the die grinder anytime, if you dont' trust yourself, put a ring of duct tape or masking tape on that edge. I left my exhaust ones really dirty so if the Flap wheel ever grazed it, it would be no biggie...but the intakes are already perfectly clean and you can't make the same mistake.

After polishing i'll resinstall the valves. Also do valve "lapping" where you put compound on the valve seal face and turn it many times while pressing into the head...this cleans and trues to seal as good as you'll get without machining.

I may also port match the exhaust to my 2g DSM exhaust manifold...they are off by like 1/8"...good if i stay turbo, bad if i'll go back to NA.

head will get a resurface and then new valve seals. hopefully i'll have some pics up sometime.

Anyone else ever do any DIY porting? Doing the bowls and other problem areas can net about 5% HP sometimes. After cleaning all the raggedness in the exhaust i wouldnt' be surprized if it did.

mark

I'm tempted to do some porting on my DOHC head, if I ever get it off.

At the shop I work at, we have a nice grinder and 1 carbide bit.

Maybe I'll start with the TB and IM instead, lol.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
      I'm tempted to do some porting on my DOHC head, if I ever get it off.

At the shop I work at, we have a nice grinder and 1 carbide bit.

Maybe I'll start with the TB and IM instead, lol.
      and then extrdue hone the IM FTW!!!
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

im going to do it on my next cb7

Comment

i did my own also on my JDM F22B head, i just used a flapper wheel and that's all, i did both intake and exhaust(not as much on intake), and then just sent it out to get a 3-angle valve job

THEN: 1993 Accord 10th Ann. Ed.---------------------- NOW: 1996 Accord EX
          My Ride thread
          Flickr
          Originally posted by d112crzy
          And it can only get better. That's the best part.
          All I gotta really say is:
          People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

what do you guys mean by flapper wheel. I assume you must have used a dremel seeing how I dont own one. By The way did you use Eagle One polish or a knock off ? Also where there any Mile Per Gallon Improvement ? Seeing how gas may hit 4 bux a gal Id rather have a DD with TQ and good gas milage.

Comment

i did a port match and polish on the sohc f20a head when i got bored. yes it was a noticeable difference. and yes it matters on mesurements if your going race motor but if your street just enlarging the ports alil is ok and a big diff in proformance. trust me every one who drives my car when it was na notice a big diff.
              Last edited by f20aaccordturbo; 05-05-2007, 02:28 AM.
              contact info

(562) 324-3639 chan mao

Comment

Working...
              X