Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Screwed up H22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screwed up H22

ok the h22 in my prelude is fucked up. The head had this white grease all in it and a little moisture around. The white grease/sludge was really thick, so i'm not sure if it is moisture. The motor makes an ass load of blow-by, has a ticking that is best heard right above the freeze plug on cylinder 3 on the block and barely heard on the head or anywhere else. I pulled the oil filter last night and barely anything came out of it but the oil wasn't too bad. The oil pressure light is always on but when the motor was ran with the valve cover off it had plenty of oil pouring down on the cams. and if it really didn't have good oil pressure then the bottom end would be smoked by now after the previous owner running it and driving it. And my time from diagnostic failure. So what do you guys think. Oh and the bottom end was rebuilt by da9b16 and i bought it off of him. I put new rods and mains in it, oil pump, and oil pressure sender after i blew it up once. OH and compression test is
    cyl 1- 175
    cyl 2- 165
    cyl 3- 165
    cyl 4- 160

so what do you guys think
    vouch for:924dr, sn2bh22cb7, soysaucecb7, ecto1, PRIMESNIPER,2.2litrebeater,turbowagon94, losiracer2,jacobuchanan140, tommi, dannyd

Compression test is pretty close together its fine. 5-10psi is within range. Anyway oil pressure light is on either check the switch and such plus oil levels. And that muck you said I had some in my engine and cleaned out most of it. Bought some shitty normal oil, drove it around for 500 miles, drained it, refilled with shitty oil drove it for 1g, drained it then went to synthetic. Reason? To clean the motor.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

but what was that white sludge stuff he's talking about? was it from moisture getting in somehow?

Comment

I dunno it was sludgy mine also. It was around the oil pickup area and some around my cams. I think when they wash the motors maybe some goes in I dont know. Firsts thing me and my buddy did was take out the oil pan. Thats when we noticed it. He took a screwdrivver and scraped most of the stuff out the oil pickup out while i clean the oil pan. At first we thought it was a bad motor but comp tested we got 215 across the board. I would think its either some sort of additive or engine cleaning agent they put in. I recall overseas they have this clear oil cleaner shit you can dump into the oil, run for like 15min, then drain and refill with normal oil. That would be the only logical thing that would explain the kinda sludgy stuff. Could be another additive they put in so insides of motors dont dry out dunno.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

hmmm should i be concerned about this in my H > ?

I think I need to check this out , I dont want some sludge making my motor start acting funny ...
          Fore Sale" My Ride "Best Time To Date 14.9 @ 94 MPH ...

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
            I dunno it was sludgy mine also. It was around the oil pickup area and some around my cams. I think when they wash the motors maybe some goes in I dont know. Firsts thing me and my buddy did was take out the oil pan. Thats when we noticed it. He took a screwdrivver and scraped most of the stuff out the oil pickup out while i clean the oil pan. At first we thought it was a bad motor but comp tested we got 215 across the board. I would think its either some sort of additive or engine cleaning agent they put in. I recall overseas they have this clear oil cleaner shit you can dump into the oil, run for like 15min, then drain and refill with normal oil. That would be the only logical thing that would explain the kinda sludgy stuff. Could be another additive they put in so insides of motors dont dry out dunno.
            agreed.

compression test was with 10% of each other so it is fine.
            id try and get all that sludge out.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

well the sludge is out. And so is the head. The exhaust cam journals are fucking wasted and the cylinders look like bare aluminum. The pistons feel like there are no rings on them because they slop around in the cylinders very easily. I think the noise was a bad wrist pin. I still can't figure out where the sludge was coming from. I think maybe the oil cooler where the filter goes on may have had some damage.

While the motor was still running I pulled the valve cover off and clean all the white sludge off and reinstalled it. After running the motor for 15mins it was covered in all that shit again. I was hoping to still have a good head but now the ex journals are fucked. But i still have a good intake cam and valves and lifters. woo fucking hoo. I have my h23 bottom end assembled. I used h23 crank and rods with h22 pistons. Now i just need a new h22 head. I have new cams also. So look out for me a cheap head with cam caps that just needs the cams put in.
              vouch for:924dr, sn2bh22cb7, soysaucecb7, ecto1, PRIMESNIPER,2.2litrebeater,turbowagon94, losiracer2,jacobuchanan140, tommi, dannyd

Comment

White sludge is water in the oil. You should've changed your oil while you had the head off to clean...

- Rob -
                92 Auto Sedan - "Rustoration"
                85 Toyota 4Runner
                1977 Kawasaki KZ1000/ZX6/10R Hybrid
                2008 HD 1200N
                2009 HD 883N

Comment

well my head is fucked, kinda. The cam journals on the exhaust cam are worn really bad and all scarred up. I can get it fixed by a friend for a hundred bucks but i really don't want to wait a month for him to get it done. I just want a head to bolt on to my h23 bottom end. But if it comes down to it then thats what i'm gonna have to do. Anybody heard of the oil cooler on the back of the block going bad? And causing coolant to leak into the oil?

Comment

I'd say that the $100 you'd spend on having your head fixed is cheaper than buying a new one.
                    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett
                      I'd say that the $100 you'd spend on having your head fixed is cheaper than buying a new one.
                      price at shop:
                      pressure test = 55
                      valve job = 185
                      surface = 55

cleaning fees = 5

thats over 300 dollars, you can probably get a bare head for under 200 granted it might not be in best condition as a new or rebuilt one but if you need something that works, sand the deck and lap the valves in.
                      I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                        price at shop:
                        pressure test = 55
                        valve job = 185
                        surface = 55

cleaning fees = 5

thats over 300 dollars, you can probably get a bare head for under 200 granted it might not be in best condition as a new or rebuilt one but if you need something that works, sand the deck and lap the valves in.
                        That's not what he said a friend could do it for in his last post.
                        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

i didnt read that, i wonder what exactly his friend is fixing though.
                          I <3 G60.

Comment

the sludge is diffinetly (sp) water in the oil, probably from a blown head gasket, check your radiator its probably in there too.
                            MR Thread- I brought SEXY back- LOL
                            If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacement anyway.

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with with experience!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X