Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

ECU questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECU questions

ok, i've ben searching forever to try and find out which ecu i have....

i gave up after 2 hours and decided to rip the *ucker out.

all it says on it is AFA in big bold letters

so my questions are...obd0, obd1?
    can i chip it?
    can i swap it with a p28
    should i even bother with it since my car's an automatic?
    does the TCL really mean i can't chip it?

maybe the pix will help

Juiced member....
    05' will be the year of the accord.

ok.....so i just so happened on an article that says it is possible to chip the ecu because it still has an external 38256 chip which is a different version of the 27 C256 ROM(burnable)

edit: FINALLY! took me an hour to figure it out...i have a PT3 ecu!

now to find me a p72!
    Last edited by BlackRc3; 07-08-2004, 06:12 AM.

Juiced member....

Comment

what benifit does doing this have?

p72 from a lude?

i run now a pt6...i wonder if i cna upgrade it somehow
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

i just want to run a different ecu for tuning purposes. the pt3 i have just isn't cut out for uberdata. so i'm gonna see if i can find a p28 out of a civic since there's already a few base maps for it

Juiced member....

Comment

but like what can c hipping the ecu do?

more power? or like better fuel mapping?

im just lost on this =)
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

on a stock motor you can retune your factory settings to squeeze every last drop of housepower out of your car

think of it as running hondata on your car. unless your running boost, nitrous, or have done a swap...there's not really any point.

since you have the a6 manifold...it'd be kind of a waste. theres a few guys working on getting a chip to activate it but no luck so far.

Last edited by BlackRc3; 07-08-2004, 08:36 PM.

Juiced member....

Comment

What? You could control the IAB the same way you'd control Vtec. Difference is Vtec is 12V and the IAB is 5V. Otherwise, there's a quick way to run a shift-light voltage to switch on the IAB. Then you could adjust the tach's shift light to any RPM you like. So, no chip neccessary there.

As for chipping your ECU, it's pretty much pointless across the board. Unless you have a power-plant like a TD Cummins, or a BMW, then you're just wasting time and money. The aftermarket applications for imports are the well traveled path of the piggyback, like the Hondata, Greddy E-manange, or AEM EMS replacement ECU. Chipping will change your performance parameters, but with a Honda, the gains you see aren't worth the time and money. If you're trying to tune a car better, piggybacks are the way to go. However, that's pretty much not neccessary unless you have a reason to tune (forced induction, nitrous, or built n/a setups).

You can argue with this, but that's pretty much just the common sense point of view.

Comment

EDIT> If you're going the route of tuning your stock setup, or stocish setup, then I'd suggest the AFC. They're PERFECT for what he's referring to as "getting the last drop" of performance out. Chipping is similar to the AFC, kinda like a pre-tuned setup. However, every dyno-man will tell you, that each car is different, so changing fuel maps generically and programming (chipping) is kinda shooting in the dark.

Comment

i disagree with slateboy.
                  As it will be very hard to get the f22 to run stock on a custom made map he cannot say its a waste of time because how would he know? he never said he did it himself did he? Does he know the a/f ratio on a stock f22 all the way across the board? probably not because it hasn't been looked into. The information is being gathered by me and various others on a stock f22a map to be used on any obd1 ecu. I do agree however on the effectiveness of chipping an ecu and blindly adding and subtracting fuel and ignition timing. But if he has the tools like a wideband 02 sensor then he IS NOT shooting in the dark. What you'll want to do right now BlackRc3 and anybody else interested in this setup is research till ur fuckin head hurts...after it hurts...research some more. You'll find that almost no one has a basemap for this engine and not many ppl have a chipped ecu in a cb7 in the first place. The reason for that is...it hasn't been looked into...just like u don't see many fast cb7's with an f22 in it right? Because it hasn't been looked into. For anybody who is interested in learning more about ecu chipping don't let slateboy's comments discourage you...be your own person and decide for urself. Everything that a piggyback does u can do with these FREE programs and more.

http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Library/WebHome
                  http://home.mn.rr.com/keebler65/honda/uberdata.html
                  www.homemadeturbo.com
                  www.ecucontrol.com

so far the pt3 (90-93 accord ecu) and its variants like the pt6 are not chippable by conventional methods. The only companies i know of that can "re-program" the engine are JET and ericksracing.com. But what exactly they do to change the settings is still a mystery. I called ericksracing the other day and asked for the information to attempt chipping and they gave me a small hint and i'll try it out when i get a test ecu. And try to stay away from the vtec ecu's unless u are vtec urself. Its not that its gonna mess up on u or throw CEL's (it may tho), its that they are expensive and u can convert ecu's like the p06 to be compadible with vtec.

non-vtec ecus to watch out for:
                  p05 92-95 civic vx
                  p06 92-95 civic lx, dx
                  p74 94-95 integra ls/gs
                  p75 94-95 integra ls/gs

vtec ecus:
                  p28 92-95 civic ex
                  p30 jdmSIR motor? can't remember
                  p72 94-95 integra gsr iab compadible

slateboy i respect your knowledge, know-how, and respect your opinions but it seems like if its not your way then its the wrong way.

anyways if u guys have questions reference the sites above and or pm me and i'll give u all the info i know of
                  Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

eh... worthless ey slateboy?? boy how wrong you are.. take a trip over to homemadeturbo.com.... chipping ecu.. is such a blessing.. your comment about it being worthless is so false..

it is way ahead of the safc..

you can tune every parameter of the fuel/ign maps.. not just a/f throught the 1k-6k range.. you can tune for partial throttle/fuel economy/power/.. something that is hit or miss with the safc.. unless your on the dyno.. and even then.. uberdata is more specific.. not as user friendly but its not hard to learn..

a waste of money how??
                    what are safc's running these days .250???

chipping ecu

p06 ecu=100
                    chipping parts=50??
                    150 and u have a chipped ecu.. as midnite posted the software to tune is FREE

a wideband sensor i wouldnt go without even if i was using a safc..its just essential.. well more-so for boost application.. but to tune correctly even N/A a wideband o2 is essential..

both safc/chipped ecu have their pros and cons.. its just how far you wanna go kinda thing..

safc= can create power and be happy wiht whatever it makes

chipped ecu= tune for perfection and whatever your needs require...

im gonna copy and paste something from a previous post of mine

back to uberdata... like hes already mentioned... you can tune every perameter of the matrix of your fuel/ignition maps
                    and i do mean everything
                    from partial throttle/wot/preferences when i say preferences i mean like..antoine for example....drives daily his cb7 and shifts between 2-3k.. so he wanted from 1-3k to be very fuel efficient but still not hinder power
                    from 3-4k slightly more aggressive and from 4-6k ownage..

think about it when racing.. u DO need a nice linear powerband to get up their to 6k but where do u spend ur time at??
                    4-6k so thats where power will be made the most.. when racing..
                    anyhoot.. all im saying is.. to look into it.. not directed at anyone in specific just.. whoever reads this..
                    Yes it is at first a pain to understand
                    Yes its not something u can pick up in 1 day takes months
                    Yes it costs the same as a safc or around the same
                    yes you can tune your car as if you were on the dyno
                    etc..

im done with my rant.. options arnt too narrow when it comes to EMS..

choose wisely..

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

man....show me one f22 turbo accord running a freeware program that's blown up because of improper tuning.

the ones that blow are the ones running the safc's.

Juiced member....

Comment

ahahah not really true...the only one that has blown up with safc is blazenaccord.. from this very board.. but it really wasnt the safc's fault.. it was the fault of the tuner.. and making his shit run lean...ive seen turbo accords run with safc's no problem.. both n/a and turbo..

JD from HMT is a good example.. at first he ran.. FMU/stock injectors.. and ran fine for a while..

then he went to safc/450cc injectors

and now is making the smart move to uberdata and chipped ecu..

btw... call this BS if u want.. but i believe he ran 13.8 with 10psi non intercooled t25 turbo
                        Attached Files

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
                          You'll find that almost no one has a basemap for this engine
                          I do...

But I don't just hand them out to every scmhoe that asks...never to hear from them again...only to see my work pop up later altered ever so slightly with that person taking sole credit and no acknowledgement of the source or even a thank you...

I will help people out with rough startup maps but that's it...my top notch work stays with me unless it's a 2 way relationship...
                          It's not that hard to get one with the right tools though...

Although it's obviously an opinion repeated from some other source, Slateboy is partially right...but mostly wrong....not much of a gain on a stock or near stock setup but there are still gains to be had even on a stock setup from more aggressive maps...very slight but still there....but it really has to be tailored to each setup, which is impossible to do without access to the car in question...there is no one size fits all improvement available...every car is truly different...even 2 cars with similar mods...

An AFC is a band aid to tune improperly setup maps.... and tweaking the ECU from the inside out negates any need for one...

Freeware rivals and even surpasses certain features that are available with pricey setups like Hondata, Emanage and other systems that still retain the stock ECU and simply alter the Honda coding...... Although, honestly it does not rival top shelf standalones like EMS and others...but then again Hondata cannot compare to EMS either... UD for example has several features included that cost you 200 per option with the Hondata system...

Some damn nice gains have been realized using the freeware that is available...

but it seems like it's getting more and more popular and no one is really giving back to the freeware community... just taking advantage of others' hard work alot of times... it's going back to being more of an underground thing as far as some of the more exciting developments popping up like Alpha-N for example...

I applaud MRX for his advice.... no one is going to hand you the information on how to do this... not even close... and anyone that takes the time to help you out in whatever way with this stuff deserves the utmost gratitude you can give them...because no one has any obligation to help you understand...

you need to learn this stuff for yourself...read and read and read until your eyes are blurry and then read some more....

RTFW

MRX: Hit me up on AIM sometime brother...
                          Last edited by ZigenBallZ; 07-09-2004, 09:05 AM.
                          RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

I go out of town for one week and look at what I miss...
                            My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

:owned:

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Working...
                              X