Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

windage tray - F22a6 vs F22a1/a4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipped out cisco's today! o by the way wed3k did you order the oil pick up as well... they are different.

Comment

I was just wondering maybe they didnt install it for cost savings? That might be a reason but still wouldnt make sense. But then I am pretty sure honda didnt think people buying accords would be taking them around corners and such fast.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
        I was just wondering maybe they didnt install it for cost savings? That might be a reason but still wouldnt make sense. But then I am pretty sure honda didnt think people buying accords would be taking them around corners and such fast.

F22A6's were designed for the same mission as F22A1/A4's so that doesn't make sense, at least to me.

Also, Honda typically doesn't do things to be completely "cheap." Obviously, they draw the line somewhere, but from a durability standpoint, they usually don't compromise a whole lot. Otherwise there would be no need for a forged steel crank in a 67 HP Civic. My guess is they either added it as a late production change into the first year, or they added it later on on certain engines for a particular reason. I can't say exactly.
        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
          F22A6's were designed for the same mission as F22A1/A4's so that doesn't make sense, at least to me.

Also, Honda typically doesn't do things to be completely "cheap." Obviously, they draw the line somewhere, but from a durability standpoint, they usually don't compromise a whole lot. Otherwise there would be no need for a forged steel crank in a 67 HP Civic. My guess is they either added it as a late production change into the first year, or they added it later on on certain engines for a particular reason. I can't say exactly.
          It could be a later design as you said. I wonder what the older b20 accords and such ran. They probably carried over some of the design and they didnt see the need for it? I wonder if there were any recalls for the oil pump cavitation from air but if that was the case I am pretty sure honda would have fixed it soon. That would be something interesting to look into. I think the first B series that might have carried this tray was the b17a found in the DA body style tegs. Maybe they could have used that car as a test bed? And the first actually mass produced b16a didnt come in til 92 ish in the del sol as I recall (on us soil not jdm land). But really I wanna see the old school b20a design if they used the windage tray or any of hondas older vehicles. That would explain it as an upgrade in the design standpoint from my view. But then I can just be completely wrong.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by 90Cb7sleeper
            Shipped out cisco's today! o by the way wed3k did you order the oil pick up as well... they are different.
            gonna get the extended oil pick up for the OBX oil pan.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

It could be a later design as you said. I wonder what the older b20 accords and such ran. They probably carried over some of the design and they didnt see the need for it? I wonder if there were any recalls for the oil pump cavitation from air but if that was the case I am pretty sure honda would have fixed it soon. That would be something interesting to look into. I think the first B series that might have carried this tray was the b17a found in the DA body style tegs. Maybe they could have used that car as a test bed? And the first actually mass produced b16a didnt come in til 92 ish in the del sol as I recall (on us soil not jdm land). But really I wanna see the old school b20a design if they used the windage tray or any of hondas older vehicles. That would explain it as an upgrade in the design standpoint from my view. But then I can just be completely wrong.
              Early B20 design found below. This is the SOHC B20A1 found in 88-90 Prelude S models. The DOHC blocks are almost identical. Notice the windage tray.

Most places that I've visited on google incorrectly calls a crank scraper a windage tray. A crank scraper is exactly that... it scrapes oil from the crank and removed the air in it.

A windage tray (confirmed by several sources) just keeps the oil in the pan.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                gonna get the extended oil pick up for the OBX oil pan.
                You are trying the OBX pan? Cool.
                Gary A.K.A. Carter
                [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
                  You are trying the OBX pan? Cool.
                  well, its going to be modified anyways, need to put baffles in the correct places. only thing i wouldnt trust is the welds. worse comes worse...just re-weld everything.
                  I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by 90Cb7sleeper
                    Thanks bro. I pondered going OBX, reason I didn't is because of the fact my car is lowered some (2 finger gap all-around) and it is a street car, too many chances for an aluminum pan to crack rather than dent like a steel one. I need to keep the oil in my motor.

As far as I see, best option for a baffled oil pan is to modify the stock one yourself. However, I didn't care to do so. That is something I can always do later if I start getting into road racing seriously.
                    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

wow, so i cant find anymore obx oil pans...

looks like i might have to modify the orignal one.
                      I <3 G60.

Comment

use a spacer lol. Anyway doesnt another company make it for our car like moroso? But they cost an arm and a leg.

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

use a spacer lol. Anyway doesnt another company make it for our car like moroso? But they cost an arm and a leg.
                          300 bucks.

itd be cheaper to fab, at least our mig works...tig is down
                          I <3 G60.

Comment

anyone having problems with the stock oil pan fitting? not that im going to use but but the windage tray is in th way :o
                            I <3 G60.

Comment

Working...
                            X