Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

H Head/Block combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H Head/Block combo

Head
    Are the a1's and a4's basically the same? its just a cam difference correct?
    Is there a difference between the quinch areas?

Block

one is open, one is closed. which would you prefer?
    im leaning twards the closed deck for strength, but wouldnt a block guard act work? ive heard cooling problems with the block guards.

i guess im going too do another build. i plan on buying it in sections.

The A1 and A4 head are exactly the same. The difference come in the header supposedly. As for the block it all all depends on which blocks you're talking about. The block guard is not recommended for a worthwhile build as it can off-center bores and being a different material the heat expansion rates are dissimilar making further issues with trueness inside the engine once it's warmed up.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett
      The A1 and A4 head are exactly the same. The difference come in the header supposedly. As for the block it all all depends on which blocks you're talking about. The block guard is not recommended for a worthwhile build as it can off-center bores and being a different material the heat expansion rates are dissimilar making further issues with trueness inside the engine once it's warmed up.
      20hp from a header? im not sure thats all of the difference, but im sure its a factor. when installing a block guard, you rehone the cylinders too insure a perfect symmetrical circumference. tonightafter work, im going too look for a high hp prelude or accord with an h22 and see what theyre running.

any other input guys?

Comment

well it doesnt really matter open or closed deck, both need to be sleeves to safely run 400-700 hp. i know people are going to say that a h22s bottom end is strong, but for how long? no one knows. be save and sleeve

as for the difference between a1 and a4, the heads and cams are the same. only the factory headers are different.

the a6 has a better flow head, bigger intake mani with 8-4 runners, and a more stronger cam. can rev to 7500 safely.

but my question to you is, what are you building for? what would you rather spend 2k for a stock jdm h22 or a fully built usdm f22a6? they make almost the same amount of power. the f22 isnt going to be as good as the h22, unless you got some high compression pistons, a cam, and a port and polish job.

even with that work done, i would invest in a h22 tranny, since the gear ratio is smaller than the f22. it makes the car pull much harder. which torque matters more, cus torque is what drives cars these days.

good luck.
        miss my turbo cb7
        moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Originally posted by quickangel93
          well it doesnt really matter open or closed deck, both need to be sleeves to safely run 400-700 hp. i know people are going to say that a h22s bottom end is strong, but for how long? no one knows. be save and sleeve

as for the difference between a1 and a4, the heads and cams are the same. only the factory headers are different.

the a6 has a better flow head, bigger intake mani with 8-4 runners, and a more stronger cam. can rev to 7500 safely.

but my question to you is, what are you building for? what would you rather spend 2k for a stock jdm h22 or a fully built usdm f22a6? they make almost the same amount of power. the f22 isnt going to be as good as the h22, unless you got some high compression pistons, a cam, and a port and polish job.

even with that work done, i would invest in a h22 tranny, since the gear ratio is smaller than the f22. it makes the car pull much harder. which torque matters more, cus torque is what drives cars these days.

good luck.
          Wow. I had no clue. I always assumed we only had one head, cam and header for the F22s in question. Normally wouldn't waste my time being a dick but I believe some pretty unhelpful information was given with the torque comment. Torque has always driven cars. Torque is a unit used to measure work. No torque, car no movey.

Back to vtechno's reply, no not 20hp from a header. The F22A4 and F22A1 only differ by 5hp and that difference is made with the header. And if you think it's that fool-proof to install a block guard then go ahead and do it and run it in a high hp application. I know the process for installing one and I realize what needs to be done to install it correctly to make it perfect. The problems arise when you make the engine run and the engine heats up over a period of miles and revs.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett
            Wow. I had no clue. I always assumed we only had one head, cam and header for the F22s in question. Normally wouldn't waste my time being a dick but I believe some pretty unhelpful information was given with the torque comment. Torque has always driven cars. Torque is a unit used to measure work. No torque, car no movey.

Back to vtechno's reply, no not 20hp from a header. The F22A4 and F22A1 only differ by 5hp and that difference is made with the header. And if you think it's that fool-proof to install a block guard then go ahead and do it and run it in a high hp application. I know the process for installing one and I realize what needs to be done to install it correctly to make it perfect. The problems arise when you make the engine run and the engine heats up over a period of miles and revs.
            mostly in the ECU pt3 , p12 , pt6

Comment

well it doesnt really matter open or closed deck, both need to be sleeves to safely run 400-700 hp.

Stop spouting bullshit.

First of all, a closed deck block can handle a shit ton of power, in part because you don't have to worry as much about the sleeves shifting. Lumping opendeck and closed deck blocks into the same category is fucking blasphemy.

Second, the A1, A4, and A6 all have the same fucking cylinder head. One doesn't flow better than the other. It's the external or cam differences that influence horsepower.

Third, any A1, A4, or A6 can rev to 7500. It's just fucking worthless because you aren't making any power, and at the point longevity starts to go down.

Also, sulimed. The A4 and A1 both run the PT3. The p12 is the prelude F22A1 ECU.
              Originally posted by sweet91accord
              if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate
                Stop spouting bullshit.

First of all, a closed deck block can handle a shit ton of power, in part because you don't have to worry as much about the sleeves shifting. Lumping opendeck and closed deck blocks into the same category is fucking blasphemy.

Second, the A1, A4, and A6 all have the same fucking cylinder head. One doesn't flow better than the other. It's the external or cam differences that influence horsepower.

Third, any A1, A4, or A6 can rev to 7500. It's just fucking worthless because you aren't making any power, and at the point longevity starts to go down.

Also, sulimed. The A4 and A1 both run the PT3. The p12 is the prelude F22A1 ECU.
                wow who the fuck ruined your day?

2nd i bought the a6 head for more flow. moron.

and third, if you want to see you a1 or a4 cam shatter to peices, go ahead, rev to 7500-8000. but dont come back crying to me that you now have timing issues.

get the facts straight. and dont take your problems out on me.
                miss my turbo cb7
                moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

whoa, whoa, whoa guys....take a breath, lol. take a gander at what i just ordered today......

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30016

so n/m the thread question. no one was really responding so i just went ahead and ordered it.

AND i also got he LSD tranny.....

Comment

wow who the fuck ruined your day?

and third, if you want to see you a1 or a4 cam shatter to peices, go ahead, rev to 7500-8000. but dont come back crying to me that you now have timing issues.

you have flow rates on that a6 head vs an a1/a4 head?
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Did I read this wrong or what? I thought the original post was about h series heads and blocks? It quickly tuned into f22 arguments.

Comment

Originally posted by preludeman92
                        Did I read this wrong or what? I thought the original post was about h series heads and blocks? It quickly tuned into f22 arguments.
                        i see what you mean........but this is a 90-93 accord site (f22A1,4,&6). so other than the thread title, you can't tell he talk'n about a H eng.

Comment

Originally posted by preludeman92
                          yea but concluded that a closed deck block are handle more power than a open decked that has not been block guarded.

so we are settling the a4 vs a6 head debate but i dont think we have any flow rates for proof.
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                            yea but concluded that a closed deck block are handle more power than a open decked that has not been block guarded.

so we are settling the a4 vs a6 head debate but i dont think we have any flow rates for proof.
                            MOOOOt point

Comment

First of all, the A4, A1, and A6 cam are all MADE of the same material. It's not the cam shattering at 7500-8000 rpm you have to worry about, its the valve float and spinning rod bearings! YOU were the one claiming the A6 could rev to 7500 over the A1/A4. They all have the same rev capability, it's just that the A4/A1 quit making power sooner, due to the more mild cam.

Second, I'm sorry you wasted your money buying an A6 head for more flow...considering it's the same fucking head as an A1/A4.

I'm the one who has the damn facts straight, you are the one spouting false information. If d112crzy was here, he'd kick you in the face.

As a side note, HondaFan81 is revving his red project (or at least, has the capability to do so, easily) to 7500rpm. On a delta regrind. What's a delta regrind? Oh yeah, a stock cam with metal added and reshaped! Durr.
                              Last edited by foamypirate; 10-13-2007, 02:28 AM.
                              Originally posted by sweet91accord
                              if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X