Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rods

Ok, i havent yet decided whether i want to do a turbo or a N/A setup. I am considering either my F22a6 with an F22b DOHC head w/forged internals and a turbo. aiming for 230-250 wheel HP. Or Getting an F23 block and going 12:1 with an F22b DOHC head. Which would be aimed at getting a torquey midrange.

At any rate, it seems to me the force ill be applying to me rods will be similar, and i dont want to skimp on them...But ive only found one option for less than $700. (which sucks as im looking at 4g63 rods for ~350) Which is http://www.importperformanceparts.ne...ctingrods.html and they claim they are only good for 100 hp over stock. Those seem like they would work for my N/A ideas, but to tell the truth, im leaning towards turbo.

So, is there a good rod set for a reasonable price ($400-500) And should i be looking for A-beam, H-beam, billet? whats the difference?

You need to pick your motor and application before picking rods.

As for cheap rods that would hold up, check out http://importbuilders.com/
    They sell I-beam and H-beam rods for the f22/h23 or the h22 for less that $400 a set.

These rods are very well respected in the k-series community.

Comment

you can easily reach your goal of 230-250 if you go turbo, all you would really need to do internally is have you crank knifed, have your rods shotpeened, i would invest my

money in forged pistons, the stock ringlands are shit in the f22's that will prolly be the first thing to go if you turbo would be the rings. If you invest your money in the

forged pistons you should be able to boost around 14 or 15 psi with a good tune safely. Then you could spend that money on forged rods on some headwork

Comment

oh if you decide to go turbo keep your f22a head, it flows much better than any f-series head, and will respond well to boost

Comment

Originally posted by zigg_1311
          oh if you decide to go turbo keep your f22a head, it flows much better than any f-series head, and will respond well to boost

I know the SOHC head flows well, i was really looking at the tuneability of a DOHC head, i dont think ill be pushing the limits of either head. Then again, im not sure ill actually get any benefit from the DOHC head either. I'm still working on my suspention/brakes anyway, just laying out some plans, i still have a bit of research to do.

And if im gonna put some forged pistons on, for the cost of the rods preludeman suggested, its really a no brainer. The added strength is well worth $350.

Comment

Originally posted by preludeman92
            As for cheap rods that would hold up, check out http://importbuilders.com/
            They sell I-beam and H-beam rods for the f22/h23 or the h22 for less that $400 a set.
            Oh my god, I love you.

Note To Self: Improve Google Skills.
            Originally posted by sweet91accord
            if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Actually, I found out about them quite by accident when I was trolling through the k20a.org forums. I went there looking for the dimensions of the k20a3 rods and found f22/h22 rods for cheap instead. If I were rocking a stock motor those would deffinately be in it.

Comment

save up 3 grand than ask questions. my turbo project (all stock motor, just rebuilt head) is at about 2500. and thats a 14b only.
                miss my turbo cb7
                moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Why should he wait to ask questions? I'd be asking as many questions as I possibly could.
                  Originally posted by sweet91accord
                  if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

I don't think that's very helpful. I know I propose lots of things on this board and eventually talk myself out of them because it's not as feasible as I thought it was going to be. Everyone is different and he needs to ask these things now because there may be a point in here that causes him to think a different way or forget it all together.
                    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

mine are made by C.A.T and i got them for 275 however i needed to hone the big end out.

http://www.catpep.com/default1.htm
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

that rod is huge

yea anything over 260hp, buy rods. id go with crowler, or something like that.
                        miss my turbo cb7
                        moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Ive already got a major part of a DSM turbo setup, im building an eclipse for a friend, and taking his 14b setup. Ill probably go with an external wastegate and a better BOV, but all i really need is fuel management, Intercooler/piping and i think im gonna get a half-size 3-core radiator.
                          I've also got an H23 head i could use, if i wanted to go the DOHC route.

Also, i havent a clue how you spent 2500 just on rebuilding the head and turbo. Unless you bought everything brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                            mine are made by C.A.T and i got them for 275 however i needed to hone the big end out.

http://www.catpep.com/default1.htm
                            Is that what you used for your F22? How the hell did you get them to fit inside the block ?

Comment

Originally posted by 10thcb7
                              Is that what you used for your F22? How the hell did you get them to fit inside the block ?
                              i havent mocked it up yet because i dont have the pistons
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X