Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Chipped P06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    Do you have MRX's services on that side of the country now?
    nah man. he moved down to socal about a year ago after he got married. last i heard he just picked up a 08 wrx.

always been a busy man but he burnt a chip for me because i helped him on his cb7. he didn't install the socket/chip on my current p06.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

1 name that i kno is damn good at chip and maps....drummersteve

my new turbo build

Comment

Get a virgin P06 from a junkyard for $50 or less ($15 near me.)
        Get a chipping kit for $15.
        Get a soldering iron for $10 from Radio Shack.
        Chip it your damn self and save $100+

Buying a pre-chipped ECU is a waste of money, and it's risky trusting some unknown to do it for you.
        If you don't want to trust yourself, then I'd second the suggestion of wed3k. I've known Wes on here for quite a while, and I'd trust his work.

Just remember, a chipped ECU is merely a blank slate. You should not trust any random map to do anything but get the engine running so the ECU can be properly tuned. A "chipped ECU" is not a "bolt on" part.
        you can do serious damage to an ecu if you do not know how to properly desolder/solder. I have fixed many ecu's which were done by amateurs who talk themselves up. The desoldering procedure is really important. I have a 200 dollar desoldering gun, cleaning supplies, variable heat soldering gun..etc. Its a lot easier to buy chipped ecu's from people who know what they are doing with them if you dont have the knowledge or tools.

John at phearable has been in business for over 10 years and is one of the pinnacle businesses for purchasing ecus. Chris at Xenocron is a EFI University instructor. Either one of them will yield a very quality result.
        www.850fab.com
        IG - @850Fab
        FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

That's true. Though it's easy enough to do with decent tools, a little research, and a little practice. Even if you fry 3 $15 ECUs, you're still getting off cheaper than a $150 unit done by a pro.
          MRX chipped my ECU, and did the desoldering with copper tape. It's an inexpensive method, and worked very well. He was meticulous with his soldering.

As with anything, paying a pro to do something will always yield great results (as long as you're careful about selecting who you trust.) Still, chipping an ECU is something that you CAN do yourself if you're careful.

Comment

That's true. Though it's easy enough to do with decent tools, a little research, and a little practice. Even if you fry 3 $15 ECUs, you're still getting off cheaper than a $150 unit done by a pro.
            MRX chipped my ECU, and did the desoldering with copper tape. It's an inexpensive method, and worked very well. He was meticulous with his soldering.

As with anything, paying a pro to do something will always yield great results (as long as you're careful about selecting who you trust.) Still, chipping an ECU is something that you CAN do yourself if you're careful.
            so is building an engine.
            www.850fab.com
            IG - @850Fab
            FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

Touche

Comment

Working...
              X